Author Topic: can someone please help with William Douglas born abt 1862  (Read 19387 times)

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: can someone please help with William Douglas born abt 1862
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 June 12 07:42 BST (UK) »
Ho Monica I received the Death Certificate for John Douglas this week he did die in Farlam so I am back to square one also Stewart Douglas isnt the Father of my John I found another Son John anfdgot his birth and other death details with some help from a Lady on ancestry who is working on Nivisons and Douglas's also have been busy on scotlands people ordering Birth wills and Death notices so I have ran out of ideas for now anyway thanks very much for the Death notice for Wigton  bye Jennifer

Offline flgill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 June 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,
                 According to my records William & Agnes Douglas had 4 children- John 1886- William 1887 Margaret 1890 & Robert 1893 all came to New Zealand early 1900's. William sr. has been hard to keep up with on census date 3rd April 1881 he was able bodied seaman onboard "Jane & Ellen"  Henry Dandy was head of household,Captain I presume. 1891 he was in Lezayre IOM with Agnes & 3 children. 1901 Agnes & 4 children in Lezayre [strangely in the Wales census], Then by the next census they were all here in NZ . Am I right in thinking John Douglas 1833 parents were John Douglas snr abt 1799 & Charlotte NIVISON 1811 and mar. 1st Jan 1832 ? I tried to send my mobile phone number last time so we could exchange text's but this system dosn't allow it.
Regards
            Fred

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred I had the same as you for ages marrying up the wrong people I also added the William and Family in the Isle of Man to my tree that is hoe I met Wendy sho had just start4d since then after loking further I found I was wrong the John Douglas who moved tp Kirkcudbrightshire isnt the Father of William that went to the Isle of Man the William that he had woth his wife Jane Miller fromDumfries born 1833 died 20 Sep 1884 my William Douglas was present at her Death and he gives his address as 146 Mulberry Street Mulberry Square Liverpool I got her Death entry from Scotlands People hi is in the 1818 censu with parents and Grandfather aged 19 occupation cabinet maker    in 1884 witnesses mothers Death   in 1887 marriaes Mary A

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred no the John Douglas Son Of John and Charlotte isnt the Father of William that went to Isle of Man then New Zealand I can send an invite to my tree as I did the same had him in my tree for ages I was looking for Death entries and got my William s parents death entries mother Jane Millers born 1833 in Dumfries death 20 sep 1884 son William   was the witness to her death his address is in  Liverpool he was a cabinet maker and the following census's show him in Liverpool married and still a cabinet maker.
 he is in the 1881 scotland census living at home with parents and Grandfather aged 19 occupation cabinet maker  father John Douglas born 1833 in Keir death 1892 Castle Douglas my direct ancestor William was witness to his Death he took Father John home to Farlam Cumberland with him where he died 28 Jan 1886 in Farlam Cumberland son William witness
in the 1881 scottish sensus for Kelton Kirkcudbrightshire roll cssct1881-330 ed 2 h.s.17 line 18 he is at home wih his parents and Grandfather age 19 occupation cabinet maker

send me an email and I can invite you to my tree so you can see the death certs okay many regards Jennifer

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 07:53 BST (UK) »
To monica I am sorry I meant Brampton inmy last reply to you ,again many thanks regards Jennifer

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

Great that you confirmed the right death for John Snr...pity it was in England with the lack of parents' info for him.

Apart from Stewart Douglas and wife Jean Dickson having children in Closeburn in the early 1800s, there looks to also have been a John Douglas and Janet McMurdo. Some births for them show as:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT1G-K7S
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYMS-Z41
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYMJ-DZH

Lots of different place names for births...and no John showing so really just a possibility at this stage.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica wow thanks very much I will have a look and see if it leads anywhere the Jannet suggests it could be right I will give it a go many thanks Jennifer

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica I have just found this on scotlands people im excited

3   14/08/1805   DOUGLAS   JOHN   JOHN DOUGLAS/JANET MCMURDO FR92   M   GLENCAIRN   /DUMFRIES   826/00 0010 0088

do you think this could be the one thanks heaps bye Jennifer

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica I found the John in the last message isnt him so here are the other two born in dumfries around the same time what do you think are the places they are born anywhere near closeburn

1   28/09/1798   DOUGLAS   JOHN   JAMES DOUGLAS/MARY KER FR83   M   MOUSWALD   /DUMFRIES   844/00 0010 0073      
2   29/09/1800   DOUGLAS   JOHN   JOHN DOUGLAS/JANNET THOMSON FR69   M   KIRKMAHOE   /DUMFRIES   835/00 0010 0065