Author Topic: can someone please help with William Douglas born abt 1862  (Read 19389 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: can someone please help with William Douglas born abt 1862
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 May 12 16:38 BST (UK) »

...and son William was the witness and his address in Liverpool...

Confused about that bit. The witness to John Jnr.'s death in 1892 is his brother William (your direct line?) with a Carlisle address.

Monica

Added: Ahh, it was mother Jane's death registration in 1884 where son William registered her death. Useful to have both Williams, with addresses (that's down to the clever registrar for the area!) anotating the addresses outside of the area for witnesses I would think.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 May 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
Jennifer, not seeing anything like you on SP that gives any confidence it will be the right entry for John Snr.  :-\

Wondered whether he could have moved down to England after the death of Jane Miller (still haven't found John Jnr. in 1891) to be nearer William's family?

There is this death entry for example, in the same RD where you William was in those later censuses:

John Douglas, 85, 1st Qrt 1886 in Brampton, Cumberland, Vol. 10b pg. 286

Monica

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 May 12 17:13 BST (UK) »
hI Monica I think you are right aboyr John Douglas I can send for his Death cert and it should hold some clues again mant thanks I was trying to make out the Carlisle address for William not much luck it looks like bla blah   Wigton Carlisle  so yo uhave saved the day I wonder why there isnt any records for Charlotte Nivison or the Kings or Mcknights ah well maybe they are still being transcribed thanks again mant regards Jennifer

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 May 12 18:48 BST (UK) »
The death cert for John Jnr, and witness brother William's address is hard to read. For any certificate where you have a problem with the quality of the image and/or legibility, you can ask SP to rescan the relevant section. They are very good at responding to this type of query and you will normally hear back within a couple of days with an enhanced image for the problem area of the cert. See this note on SP /www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=1210

I hope you do get somewhere finding John Douglas Snr.'s death cert. The pity will be, if he did die in England, will be the lack of additional info on the English v. Scottish death certs. If he did die in England, without his parents' details, harder to trace back that Douglas line...

Monica

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica Thnk you for your help I really appreciate it I am hoping another relative with more info will one day do a Family Tree so we can share information, I will request another scan and again many thanks  Jennifer

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica I think I have found something in the 1851 census for John Douglas senior he is listed as having his Daughter Janet age 11 and an Agnes Laurie born 1820 in Hollywood Dumfries as a servant maybe she is his Neice born to his Sister Janet  I forgot what else I was going to write cos if I leave this page I loose all  the message and have to start again anyway it seems that Stewart Douglas maybe the Father afterall it was strange there werent any little Stewarts in John 's Family I thought, anyway what do you think I did get the info on Stewart from another website I was directed to have forgotten it now though bye regards Jennifer

Offline flgill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 June 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
william douglas 1862 is my g grandfather, he married agnes grierson on 22nd july 1884 in the isle of man and then emigrated to new zealand about 1910. he died 1928 her in 1929. they are buried at waipipi cemetery near waiuku, south auckland, coincidently we are visiting there next weekend.

Offline flgill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 June 12 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again from New Zealand. My Grandfather was John Douglas b.1st October 1885 in Lezayre IOM also a son of William and Agnes. He married Emily Florence Caine in the IOM in 1905 and died in Petone near Wellington. Ask your other contact in NZ to text me as we must be 2nd cousins (*) from UK
Thanks for all your help & hope I can extend your tree.

(*) Moderator Comment: telephone numbers removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid any abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data. See www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jefna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 June 12 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi I sent an invite to my tree via ancestry to Wendy just incase she isnt working on her tree at present also copied and pasted andsent your message with it  also via messages on ancestry so hopefully she will get one or the other  many regards Jennifer