Author Topic: John Robson Kerr  (Read 7090 times)

Offline Frostine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Robson Kerr
« on: Thursday 08 November 12 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm just wondering if anyone can help. I know nothing about my grandfather's family, siblings, parents, etc. My mother passed away when I was a teen, so I have no info. John Robson Kerr was born in Kirkcudbrightshire in 1886. He was married to Nicholas (do not know anything about my grandmother as well). They immigrated to Canada in 1907 and 1912. I'm wondering if he had siblings, cousins, etc.. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you from Canada

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Robson Kerr
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 November 12 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :O)

Just had a look on scotlandspeople.gov.uk - the official govt website - ppv, but free to register and search.  Do you have a copy of his birth entry.

There would appear to be only one person of that name born in Scotland between 1855 and 2009.  Born 1885.

I take it the couple married in Canada?  Does it give the parents name on the marriage entry?

I'm more than happy to get the birth entry to give you a flavour of what the records hold. 

Regards,  Steve    :)

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 November 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Went and downloaded the entry - give me a few mins...  a poor quality entry    :'(  MMhhh .... father looks likes James Kerr, a ? farm Manager  and the mother a Miss ???? Little married on March 8th, 1878 in Tinwald.

He was born June 7th 1885

Away to look for a marriage entry - hope it's beter quality....

Okay, much better quality - James Kerr - farmers son, aged 26 - usual residence, Tregallon, Troqueer, father James Kerr (Farmer) and mother Mary Kerr (MS Hunter) married Irving Little,  Domestic Servant aged 24, usual residence Dalruscan, Tinwald - father Walter Little (Ploughman) and mother (Janet Little (MS Moffat) on 8th March 1878 at Dulruscan in the Parish of Tinwald, County of Dumfries. "After banns according to the forms of the Church of Scotland".
Hopefully others can pitch in with some info.

Regards,   Steve   :)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 November 12 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi all ,

For reference , the 1916 Canadian Census -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KM5R-XQR

ev

Added - Frostine , I think you will have to find the marriage for John and Nicholas to see if it has their
parents names , or at least a maiden name for Nicholas.
Can't see anything online  :-\
The 1911 Census has a John R Kerr in Red Deer Alberta birth given as June 1885 which may well match up with the birth Steve has found.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 November 12 18:16 GMT (UK) »
In the 1891 census John Robson Kerr and parents and siblings are in New Abbey, Kirkudbright at a place - looks like 'Carsegowan'.

Father James is listed as a farm Servant - - age difficult to see born Dumfrieshire, Kirkpatrick Juxta. 
Irving - wife, aged 32 born Dumfriesshire, Kirkpatrick Fleming.
Janet - dau, aged 10, Dumfriesshire, ????
John Robson - aged 5, Kirkudbrightshire, New Abbey.
Mary Hunter - dau, -aged 3, Kirkudbrightshire, New Abbey.
Maggie - dau, aged 2, Kirkudbrightshire, New Abbey.

and an 18year old servant Mary Ann Bell.

Regards,  Steve

Offline Frostine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 November 12 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Steve & ev for your speedy replies!( I was not expecting that so quick!) This is alot of great information, thank you! It's nice to finally have something for my kids to see.

I believe my grandfather & grandmother married before they came to Canada, but where or when I have no clue. I don't know my grandmother, Nicolas' maiden name either. I just know John R Kerr came to Alberta in 1907, and Nicolas came after in 1912. I imagine it was quite a shock that first winter!  Yes ev, that is the same John R. Kerr in Red Deer, Alberta, they died around 1971-73 in Red Deer.

Thank you again Steve & ev! I'd love to come and see where they were born someday! :)

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 November 12 15:31 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure 'Frostine'

If you reply to the question - how do you know the exact year of immigration to Canada, of John and Nicolas I can then send you a pm asking for your e-mail addres (not on the board) and I can forward the birth marriage and census record which I've downloaded.

Regards,   Steve

I'm at work until this coming Tuesday, but when home have access to the 1881 census and can get you a copy of that one on both lines back from John Robson Kerrs parents.

In the 1901 census he was still in new Abbey.

1901 KERR JOHN M 15 NEW ABBEY /KIRKCUDBRIGHT 877/00 003/00 001   (This is him as I put in a second persons first name as Irving and it only came up with one hit Scotlandwide)

Offline Frostine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Piglet,

My mother wrote a small article in a local Alberta book about Alberta pioneers which included my grandfather and the year he and my grandmother arrived in Canada. I re-read the article and I was wrong about them marrying in Scotland, they actually married in Alberta. It mostly includes his history here in Canada, not in Scotland.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Frostine , I don't know how to go about getting details of a marriage in Alberta.
It may be worth posting on the Canadian board for information.
If you can find a maiden name for Nicholas(or her parents names) we should be able to find out more
about her time in Scotland.
There are 37 females with a forename of Nicholas born in Scotland 1885 - 1887.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records