Author Topic: Robert Baird  (Read 9051 times)

Offline kiwigumboots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Baird
« on: Wednesday 26 June 13 01:13 BST (UK) »
Robert Baird was born about 1831 kirkcudbrightshire mother was Jane not sure of surname. Robert arrived in New Zealand port chalmers Dunedin in 1862 on the ship Scoresby. He married Margaret Barr?? 23/7/1862 Delbeattie in Scotland she died in NZ during child birth (five rivers). He then married margaret McMinn from same area in Scotland but they married at limestone plains. Children from first married James,Robert,(Margaret adopted to Galbraith),William. I have found a possible match residing at Barbershall, Parton but am really after some confirmation. Initially it was believed he married a margaret Brass but I can not find evidence of this. On his death certificate it appears as Barr??. Robert died in Nz in 1911 isla bank southland. Family were farmers from Kircudbrightshire any help or confimation would be appreciated.

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Baird
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi & welcome to Rootschat.
I saw your post on the Ancestry Boards & posted 2 replies for you on there on 20th of this month.
Margarets family name was Barr & she married Robert 23 July 1862 at Dalbeattie.
I have copy of marriage record if you would like a copy.It shows Roberts parents as James Baird &
Jane Paterson. Margarets parents are Archibald Barr (Soldier /independant)& Margaret Cross.
Below is some of the info I posted.

Rgds Matt.

There are 2 monumental inscriptions for the your Baird family at Parton churchyard,as shown below..
This first one shows the parents & some of their G/children
Erected by James Baird, in memory of Jean Patterson, his spouse, who died at Barbershall, 14th July 1843, aged 49 years. Also the said James Baird, who died at the same place on the 28th Nov. 1845, aged 54 years.
Also William Baird, eldest son of Wm Baird, who died at Barbershall, 15th January 1860, aged 3 years. And of James his second son, who died at same place, 29th of Jan. 1860, aged 1 year. Also William James, who died at the same place on the 7th of June 1874, aged 2½ years. Also Maggie Baird, who died at Meikie Dalbeattie on the 23rd July 1887, aged 20 years.

This second one shows your Roberts brother William & family.

Erected in memory of Margaret Fergusson, wife of William Baird, who died at Meikle-Dalbeattie, 29th January 1895, aged 63 years. Also the above William Baird, who died at Meikle-Dalbeattie, 16th January 1904, in his 85th year. Mary Jane Baird, elder daughter of above William Baird, who died in Edinburgh, 1st July 1931, in her 71st year. Elizabeth Baird, daughter of the above, who died at Edinburgh, 25th Jan’y 1948, in her 78th year.
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Online AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwigumboots

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

To follow from Matts excellent information for you, I'm guessing you have this already (and maybe where you first got 'Brass" from)  but for
the record:

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-Cyc04Cycl-t1-body1-d7-d45-d3.html
This contemporary Cyclopedia of NZ article about Robert (it was written when he was alive) has at least one error on it - possibly a modern transcription - re: the date of his birth as January 1870 - obviously the 1870 is incorrect!  "Brass",  written in same article as the maiden surname of his first wife,  also appears to be an error. Even without knowing that she was fully Scottish, or that her own mother's maiden surname was "Cross" (combine the two to get……:Brass"?? )  - I'd have said, being Scotland,  "Barr" would be more likely that "Brass" .

http://shrinkalink.com/65008
Robert BAIRD of Limestone Plains Southland, who died around December 1911, was recorded as 84 years of age - born abt 1827 - though all 3 census he is in, do support a birth abt 1831.

Did you already see the 1861 Census - looks like he and Margaret in the same household?

CENSUS 1861:
Nether Arden? Annah? Parton, Kirkcudbright
Head: Janet McMURDO 84, Farmer of 600 acres, b Southwick, Kirkcudbrightshire
Nephew: Robert BAIRD 30, Farm Manson, b Parton, Kirkcudbrightshire
Servant: William MITCHELL 21, Ploughman, b Crossmichael, Kirkcudbrightshire
Servant: Margaret BARR 20, Housekeeper (Dom Serv), b Balmaclellan, Kirkcudbrightshire
Daughter: Jane Douglas 20, Dairy Maid, Kirkmahoe, Dumfriesshire

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline kiwigumboots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Matt and Ambly. I really appreciate your help. Your information has really helped filling some important gaps thank you kind regards Charmaine

Offline kiwigumboots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 June 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt and Ambly, I am also hoping you may be able to help with who Jane Patterson or james bairds parents are I have spent ages trying to find this without any joy.... Also could Jane and Jean be the same person?? I am also trying to work out where the name Mc murdo fits in as it appears this may be Robert Bairds aunty?? I really appreciate any help....thank you once again

Online AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 June 13 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwigumboots

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/MCMURDO/2003-08/1061294125
Janet McMURDO was born a BAIRD.
She married Stephen McMURDO who died abt 1813 at Nether Armanoch, leaving an estate of £689 9s 6d to be administered on behalf of his children by his father.
She died on February 24, 1866 in Castle Douglas. Kelton KKD, age 91
Her parents were named on her death Cert as : William BAIRD and Mary SMITH

(Her  son William McMURDO also married a woman named Janet BAIRD)

Robert is listed as her Nephew in the 1861 Census,  but she could be his Great-Aunt , ie: his father James could have been Janet's Nephew.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 June 13 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwigumboots,

Just picking up on your question re Jane/ Jean Patterson being the same person.
The names were and still can be interchangable. I have a gggrandmother who varies in Census, marriage and her children's birth records as Jane, Jean and Jeanie.

Looby

Offline kiwigumboots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 July 13 02:29 BST (UK) »
After all your kind help I am sorry to discover I may not be on the right track....I have just discovered the place name Glenkins is where Robert and Margaret Baird have come from. My brother wrote down what was wriiten on Robert Bairds grave at Calcium cemetery and it says..Isabella S Baird beloved younger daughter of Robert and Margaret Baird of Glenkins who died 15th January 1905 age 23 years also the above Robert Baird who died 9th December 1911 age 84. I definitely know his mother was Jane as this is what it said on his death certificate. I am really hoping Glenkins is an area down south Island??? or it is still connected to Parton parish..otherwise I am totally of track..grrrrrr...Anyway hope you kind people may be able to shed some light ..thank you Ambly for your previous help and Loobylooayr...Would doing a crying face about now but cant seem to work that feature...thanks all Charmaine

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 July 13 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Charmaine,
The Glenkens is an area of Kirkcubrightshire/ Galloway.
http://www.theglenkens.org.uk/

Perhaps that is where the Bairds were from?
It looks a beautiful place  :)

Looby

Amended to include http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Glenkens

Parton is one of the parishes which make up the Glenkens  :D