Author Topic: Morris Warrent & Cathrine Gray  (Read 2660 times)

Offline CMS North

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morris Warrent & Cathrine Gray
« on: Thursday 25 July 13 18:04 BST (UK) »
Good Evening,

I've managed to trace the marriage of my g,g,g grandparents to Troqueer on 28 August 1853 (from Scotland marriages 1561-1910). On the on-line summary his name is shown as Marise Warrant (I've come across several variants of 'Warrent' too in my searches). Based on the England Census of 1871, Morris and Cathrine appear to originate from Ireland.

I know their first two children, Mary and Edward (my g,g grandfather) were born in Troqueer (family living in College St?). The family then moved and settled in Newcastle upon Tyne and went on to have more children.

I've tried tracing Morris and Cathrine prior to their marriage but so far have had no success and wondered if anyone might have any suggestions of possible avenues to try? If I could find the church they married in would the church records perhaps show details of their parents?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for taking the time to read this request.

CMS

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Morris Warrent & Cathrine Gray
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 July 13 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Scottish marriages pre-1855 (OPR = Old Parish Register) were not as comprehensive as post-1855 - see

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&406

You can download the image of the parish record from Scotlands People (which is a pay per view site) and see what it shows
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CMS North

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 July 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this Carole,

I've just given it a try and although I've found the register and the entry, unfortunately it gives only their names. It was certainly worth a try though.

I'm guessing settlers in Troqueer came from all over Ireland? However, if anyone knows of any books/info etc that might help me identify any key areas of Ireland that settlers to the region may have originated from, I'd be very interested.

Thanks
CMS

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 July 13 23:17 BST (UK) »
What a pity they didn't stay in Scotland.  Deaths from 1855 give full parental details plus mothers maiden names
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)