Author Topic: McCUBBIN family - David McCubbin B: 1860, immigrated to Canada circa 1891  (Read 5693 times)

Offline CanadianMcCubbin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCUBBIN family - David McCubbin B: 1860, immigrated to Canada circa 1891
« on: Tuesday 12 November 13 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Looking for my husband's ancestors/relatives.  My husband's great-grandfather David McCubbin (wife Clarissa (nee Shaw) b 1865) left Scotland between 1890 and 1892 and immigrated to Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.  David had 2 children when they left Scotland:  Walter, born 1880 in India and David John, born 1890 in Scotland.  Clarissa was born in England, and they were married in Bombay.  David's parents were John McCubbin (b about 1827 in Urr) and Grace MacRobert (born 1819 in Kirkgunzeon).  My research shows that all of John and Grace's children were born and lived in Kirkcudbrightshire.

I've become very interested in tracking down family history - most especially because our daughter and I will be visiting Scotland and England in February 2014.  I'd love to hear from anyone who
    is a McCubbin living in the Kirkcudbright area
      knows more about this line of the McCubbins
        might be able to give me some insight about what might have spurred David & Clarissa McCubbin to leave Scotland for Canada.  Wanderlust?  Hard economic times?

Thanks!!
        [
McCubbin > Smith - Whiteman - Johnstone/Johnston - Shaw - MacRobert - Halliday -
Risbey > Gamble - Weightman - Smith - Tranter - Oatridge - Watkins - Purvis - Jones - Grieve - Johnson - Nesbit - Reavely - Turnbull

Offline Jmccubbin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McCUBBIN family - David McCubbin B: 1860, immigrated to Canada circa 1891
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 April 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am also a descendant of David McCubbin and Clara Shaw.
My great great grandfather was Marmaduke McCubbin, and grandfather is Howard Mccubbin.
Don’t know why they married in India. But I am also curious

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 18 00:24 BST (UK) »
David John was born 13 Sept 1890 at Haugh, URR.  His father at this time was and Inspector (Police).  The informant of the birth was John Dickson, Uncleinlaw (never seen this term before).

David and Carisa were married 29 March 1888 in Bombay.

This is from David John's birth registration available at https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk or you can send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you.

Don

You will to make 2 more posts in order to send a PM (Personal Message).
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 18 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat. :)

New York Passenger List from Antwerp, Belgium to Ellis Island, NY arriving Feb. 8, 1892 on the
ship "Rhynland".
McCubin, David, age 31, merchant, b. Scotland, destination Montreal
McCubin, Clara, age 26, b. Scotland
McCubin, Walter Scott, age 3, b. Scotland
McCubin, David J., inft. b. Scotland
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-G1DW-F86?i=12&cc=1368704

DB

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
I also have a McCubbin connection.

Robina McCubbin was born 1776, she married John McGaw, 29 October, 1799, in Renfrew, Renfrewshire. Scotland. They had one child, Elizabeth McGaw

When Elizabeth McGAW was born in 1803 in England, her father, John McGaw was 26, and her mother, Robina McCubbin was 27.  Elizabeth McGaw married William McAUGHTRIE on 24 April 1824 in Girvan, Ayrshire, Scotland. They had 12 children in 22 years. She died on 23 February 1862 in Girvan, Ayrshire, at the age of 59.

According to the relationship calculator on my tree, Elizabeth McGaw was the wife of my 4th Great Uncle, William McAughtrie, married Barr by Girvan, 24 April 1824.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 April 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

1901 Canadian Census, Hochelaga, Montreal, Quebec
McCubbin, David, age 41, chef (head), b. Mar. 24, 1860, b. Scotland, CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway)
McCubbin, Clara, age 35, epouse (wife) b. Nov. 28, 1865, b. England
McCubbin, Walter, age 12, fils (son) b. Jan 20, 1889, b. India
McCubbin, David, age 10, fils (son) b. Sept. 13, 1890, b. Scotland
McCubbin, Marmaduke, age 9, fils (son) b. Aug. 16, 1892, b. Q (Quebec)
McCubbin, T. Henry, age 6, fils (son) b. Dec. 13, 1894, b. Q
McCubbin, Winifred, age 2, fille (daughter), b. Dec. 3, 1898, b. Q

It is a split view census, so you can see the original at the top.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=79006&highlight=4

DB

Offline Jmccubbin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 April 18 03:06 BST (UK) »
Awesome thanks!

Offline CanadianMcCubbin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 April 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
Wow - I posted my original info/request back in 2013! After my daughter & I went to the UK in Feb. 2014 our son got married then we moved in 2016. I had not been on Ancestry.ca since sometime in 2014, but finally got back on this spring. Now I'm addicted. I asked my husband about a month ago if he'd like to do the DNA test and surprisingly he said yes - so we are now awaiting results.

I see since I posted in 2013 a number of others have also with interesting connections. I'm working on both the McCubbins and my Risbey family.

I find myself filling in lots of blanks easily all over our tree, but then hitting mysteries. David McCubbin's wife Clara was initially a brick wall of a mystery for me - lots of info from when they got married in India til they died, but I couldn't find anything else. Finally I put her family history together - the clue that did it for me was when I found a Shaw family with a Marmaduke. Since David and Clara named the first son born in Canada Marmaduke it seemed significant. Then when I found her father Marmaduke Shaw died in Montreal in 1913 that glued it all together.

So I've now traced the Shaws back to where they were living in Yorkshire in the late 1600's. The furthest-back Shaw connection I've found is Marmaduke Shaw who died in Nidd in 1717. From 'our' Marmaduke Shaw who died in 1913 to Marmaduke Shaw who died in 1717 I've found over 20 Marmaduke Shaws either directly in line or uncles etc. I'm sure there are many more if I really enlarged the tree of Shaws. But I've now 'run out of' Marmadukes in the Yorkshire area around Nidd - or anywhere - back in the 1600's. Though I've now discovered a number of men called Marke Shaw, living in the general area of Nidd. I suspect there is a connection - but if so why the switch from Marke to Marmaduke?

Curious!

Christine
McCubbin > Smith - Whiteman - Johnstone/Johnston - Shaw - MacRobert - Halliday -
Risbey > Gamble - Weightman - Smith - Tranter - Oatridge - Watkins - Purvis - Jones - Grieve - Johnson - Nesbit - Reavely - Turnbull