Author Topic: info needed on Mollance & Queenshill  (Read 32295 times)

Offline Jinny1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: info needed on Mollance & Queenshill
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 November 10 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Many thanks for the reply, Sue. I shall do some more investigating on Ancestry.com!
I've been lucky enough to find out quite a bit about the Johnstone family, although (typically) my direct ancestor is Helen Johnstone, a fourth daughter, (born sometime between 1828 - 1834 as far as I can work out) who appears in censuses etc, but doesn't appear to have a birth or death record!  ::)
I did take a walk past Leggatecheek, (having been very pleased to find it on a current map, and having family in the area) but I know nothing about the history of it!
Thanks again.

Helen
Carlyle, Gardner, Horn, Johnstone, Livingstone: Dumfries/Kirkcudbright/Edinburgh/Fife/Glasgow/
Belfast

Offline wkms77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 November 10 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Some images that might interest you that I've posted on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47102235@N08/sets/72157625373613712/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47102235@N08/sets/72157625373524134/

Any information on the following houses in Kirkcudbright would be great.

Mollance house in Castle Douglas  ( burnt down in 1920s ? )

Queenshill mansion by Ringford

Barcaple house  in Barcaple ?     (part of Barcaple farm ? )

Kipp house in Colvend       

I have done the google sweep, looking for local knowledge if possible.

Thanks         :)

Offline fergus.neilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MERRICK NEILSON / HOT BLAST NEILSONS
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Just inadvertently trashed an eMail from an unknown source stating "Wish to chat with you about Merrick Neilson". If the trashee wishes to make contact again - you have my eMail address! For anyone else interested in the Ironmaster Neilsons (descent from James Beaumont "Hot Blast" Neilson) there is a full chapter on the family in my book "The Corsock Neilsons" which is available through www.blurb.com. Regards, Fergus Neilson.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 December 13 15:10 GMT (UK) »
The Neilson's must have had a connection to Springburn in Glasgow which was famous for it's locomotive works.
Streets named Barcaple Street, Queenshill Street etc'.

Skoosh.

Offline clarry123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 31 July 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm related to John Lindsay Scott who I was under the impression lived in Mollance House and also farmed Dryburgh farm up to his death in 1888. He was a woollen manufacturer, who set up Kingholm Mill in 1857 in Dumfries; Son of Robert Scott the tweed manufacturer. I recently visited the Scottish Registry in Edinburgh and saw his will/probate records that clearly had wages owing to the Dryburgh Farm manager, labourer etc and butler, footman, maid etc at Mollance. I think he was faming sheep on the land for his business. How do the Neilsons fit in. Was my great great grandfather renting? I wish I'd printed out the whole will but only printed parts as it was over 11 pages long.

Offline lynnebro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 29 May 16 09:37 BST (UK) »
Wow, fantastic information!  I am related to you as Helen is also my direct ancestor and is my 3rd G Grandmother.  She lived in Edinburgh for a while. I have a lovely photo of a cottage her husband was a coachman for.  I would love to get in touch. My 2x great grandfather was born at Leggatecheek in 1855, John Johnstone ( Hellen's frst born))

Lynne
Hi all,
Sorry to add to an already-long thread!

Some of my ancestors were servants at Queenshill during the nineteenth century: Mary Johnstone, (1828-1883) who was a house servant (apparently) from the 1830s until her death, and Mary's sister Agnes McGeorge (originally Agnes Campbell Johnstone, later Agnes Hay) (1834-1912) who is shown at Queenshill in the 1861 Census.
The Johnstone family lived at Leggatecheek, (from at least the 1830s - 1880s) a house in Ringford. I don't know if this house was part of the Queenshill Estate or not; their father, Thomas Johnstone, (d 1856) was a cooper and dyer by trade.
Mary and Agnes's sister Jane (Jean) married the farmer at Greenhill - another nearby farm.
I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of where I might find out more about this family (I did wonder if there would be papers from Queenshill, but as the house burnt down, I suspect not?) Or would be happy to share any information about 'my' Johnstone family if it would be of use to anyone!

Many thanks

Helen

Offline lismore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 May 16 18:15 BST (UK) »
Discovered today, maybe can be added to a family tree.

Glasgow Herald - 31st Jan 1911

Neilson
Suddenly at Mollance, Castle Douglas, on the 29th inst; Janet Barbara Chalmers, aged 1 year and 6 months, only child of Mr and Mrs William C Neilson

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 10 June 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lismore,

Yeah, she is on the chart, daughter of William Chalmers Neilson.

:)

Offline SamMary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 12 June 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi RemLap. My GGGrandad was john Neilson brother of James. I would love any info on him or his brother. I haven't managed to find a photo or portrait. A photo of Oakbank iron foundry would be great. My line is via his second wife Elizabeth Twaddel whose daughter Margaret was my GGandma
many thanks Paul