Author Topic: David Ewart 1832 - 1906  (Read 14124 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Ewart 1832 - 1906
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 20:42 GMT (UK) »
One of my main lines is from Kirkcudbrightshire and I know that there are many gaps in the registers. Local knowledge is probably the best help in this area. I'm not sure  who's the best person to contact now.

I do have all the Monumental Inscriptions for all the parishes so I will get them out and see if there's anything in them that could give some clues.

I'm busy for the next couple of days but will check up at the weekend and get back if I see anything interesting.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 06 February 14 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Okay I have now had time to sit down and catch my breath and read all the suggestions that were put forward I must admit that everything went that quick I was struggling to keep up.

Kay99 you hit on the one thing that still makes me think there could be something I am missing in those census returns, the fact that the David I am searching for was according to the military a clerk and the David in the census was also a clerk is just seems a bit too far-fetched that two people of roughly the same age and name from the same town doing the same job albeit going in different directions but only records for one person in those early years, there is something amiss somewhere.

Gadget & MonicaL what can I say, apart from thank you both for the suggestions and leads I will spend a while following them all up, to get me started I don’t know if anyone can advise what the main religion was in and around that area of Scotland during the mid-1800s. I am now pretty confident that we have good records for David from 1853 onwards, it is just those early years up to the 1851 census return that seem to be missing. Gadget if you can see anything in the transcriptions it would be most appreciated but if not then I am not sure where we could go next.

Thank you, GedB

Offline chrislizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am the great great granddaughter of Mary Ann Beer who was born in Elham, Kent round about 1840. Her father was Henry Beer and her mother Mary Ann Smith. (Family Search.org, which is our church's site, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints) but all are welcome to use it for free.  Mary Ann gave birth illigitimately to my great grandma Martha Ann Beer, who later gave birth illegitimately to my grandad Ernest Beer.  The birth certificates show a cross in the father's name area.  Mary and David Ewart got together somehow, married I don't know as I can't find their marriage date neither, but I know they had their first child Mary Ewart in 1870/1871 (the 1881 census says she was born in Aldershot, Hampshire, and she was 10 yrs old, but the 1891 census shows her as being born in Farnham, Surrey.
Their next child John Ewart was born in Bury, Lancashire, so obviously they moved to Bury, then they moved to Middleton, Manchester, where they had Catherine, who was born in Bury, and she died 6th November 1897 aged 21 in Middleton.  Their next daughter was Ellen, shown as being born in the 3rd quarter 1878.  She was two on the 1881 census.  The next child Frances (shown as Ewert) in the national register was born 4th quarter 1880 and was 6 months old on the 1881 census. I knew Aunty Frances very well.  She was my grandfather's aunty really.  There was 12 years between them.  She use to come to our home every week with her beautifully made wimberry and apple pies.  I thought she was my grandad's sister at first, they looked so alike.  She died in the 2nd quarter 1960.  I went to her home as she lay in bed, just before she died.   David Ewart died in Middleton, Manchester 10th January 1906, aged 71 and Mary Ann died in the Oldham Union workhouse, was buried 17th July 1902, aged 61. Mary's daughter Martha, my g grandma, did marry eventually, a Frank Ashton.  Their son Albert was my Grandad's half brother, who had another Frank Ashton, my dad's cousin who sadly died about a month ago aged 93.  His daughter Pam told me at the funeral that she thought Martha lived with Frank for a long time before marrying him.  She said she thought David Ewart might have had two son's before he married Mary Ann.  My grandfather Ernest took on his mother's maiden name, Beer, which was her mother's name (her father was Henry Beer) but eventually he changed his name by deed poll to Ewart, as he lived and was brought up by David Ewart and Mary Ann.   His step father Frank didn't treat him kindly.  Martha and Frank had quite a few children too, and Martha was born 11 Dec 1863 in Elham Kent and died 4 JaN 1940.  I don't know anything about Mary Ann or Martha really.  I have a little snapshot of Martha, but nothing of anyone else.  If you know any history of Mary Ann Beer and David Ewart, I would love to know it.  I have researched their marriage, if any, for many years.  I would love to hear from you people researching this same line.  I am not sure if I really have anything to do with David Ewart, he was my grandad's step grandad, and my dad suspected that one of the son's he's said to have could be my grandad's father, but we don't know.  If that is the case, then his name would rightly be Ewart.  A long story, but hopefully some of it will put you in the picture a bit more.

Regards, Chris Bushnell (nee Ewart)

Offline chrislizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
It's Chris Bushnell again;

On re reading my email, I made a mistake.  After Mary Ewart was born, they moved to Bury where Catherine was born.  Then they moved to Middleton Manchester where she died.  Sorry.

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, thank you for all that info, it is certainly going to take me a while to sort through it all. I had almost given up getting anything more on David but you may well have touched on a good point with the two possible sons seemingly prior to Mary Ann.
I am pretty sure that I have some information on Henry and his descendants that will interest you, in fact I know it will get you shaking your head so rather than fill up these pages I have sent you a message through the Rootschat system with my personal email address, if you could reply to that then I will get in touch.
Regards - GedB

Offline chrislizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again, thanks for your message. I look forward to the info so i will email u later.   Regards chris

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 12 March 16 09:51 GMT (UK) »
I have a family coincidence with the Ewart thread. I have a John Andrew Ewart McLean who was born at Gatehouse Kirkudbright circa 1821. He died in april 1967/9 at Gateshead. He married 18.4.1850 Barrhead Renfrewshire to Jean Harley Elliot who was born 23.8.1827 in Neilston. To have the forename Ewart it would indicate that he had a strong connection to the Ewarts. Can anyone help?

Cheers
Jack Gee
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN