Author Topic: John Elliot & Margaret Hart - Cavers  (Read 9118 times)

Offline LindaLily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Elliot & Margaret Hart - Cavers
« on: Thursday 08 May 14 04:13 BST (UK) »
Looking for info and connections to this family. John Elliot was a shepherd who married Margaret Hart in 1815 in Ancrum. They had at least 10 children in various parishes in Roxburghshire, including my ggGrandmother Christian or Christina born about 1823 in Ashkirk who first married  Armstrong Scott and then married John Murray. Other children of John & Margaret Elliot include Margaret (married James Hunter), Mary Hope (married William Irvin), Isabella (married Robert Elliot), Agnes (married Thomas Scott Elliot), Janet, Elizabeth, Andrew, John, & George. I found information online that indicates John & Margaret Elliot died in Cavers and are buried at Cavers and Kirkton Parish Church. Also mentioned was the Border Family History Society, St. Mary's Mill, Selkirk. Does this society still exist? Thanks! Linda in Calgary, AB, Canada
Murray, Steele, Kennedy, Elliot, Marrs & Whitesmith in Cumberland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Elliot & Margaret Hart - Cavers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

The link to the Border Family History Soceity www.bordersfhs.org.uk

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindaLily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 May 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica,
I was just wondering if the address is now 64 Talisman Avenue, Galashiels if the location of the Society changed from St. Mary's Mill, Selkirk? And would they still have the family group sheets that the info originally came from? But I will email them and I am going to send for some of the cemetery transcriptions too.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 May 14 16:08 BST (UK) »
I am not local to there so not sure of location. But, I am sure an email to them will help you with this all  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 May 14 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

Yes, the Borders FHS still exist and are now based in Galashiels, although they're in the process of shifting their base address at the moment. The link Monica has given you will find them online, however. I'm sure they will do their best to help you.

Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline AandS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda, I have a connection to the Elliot family that you are researching. I am descended from Isabella Elliot, daughter of John Elliot, shepherd, and Margaret Hart.

Isabella married a Robert Elliot and they also had ten children. They lived at on a farm at Cavers Mains. We visited the farm and the nearby church a few years ago.
John Elliot d. Cavers Mains 11 Nov 1869, aged 80
Margaret Hart d. Shiplawcross 17 Jan 1840/49?, aged 47
I think we have the same list of offspring that you give and have birth years for them and dates of death for a couple e.g.
Janet Elliot ,their daughter, d. Dryburgh 22 Mar 1867, aged 33
George Elliot their son, d. Newcastle 10 Jan 1872, aged 41

Please let us know if you would like more information. For example...
we can go back a generation on John Elliot and two generations on Margaret Hart.
we have John Elliot's family bible, various samplers made by some of the girls and an early phto of Cavers Mains.

My connection is that my Margaret, a daughter of Isabella and Robert Elliot, married my gGrandfather Robert Douglas on Xmas day 1874.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Andy (and Steph) Douglas
(and we have to thank Steph - she is the one who has put in a lot of hard graft to get the information over the years.)

Offline LindaLily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy & Steph,
So great to hear from you! I guess Andy & I are 4th cousins as my line is John Elliot, Christina Murray (nee Elliot), Leonard Murray, William Murray, Leonard Murray & then me. I have been looking for Christina Elliot's line for a long time. On a hunch I paid to view a will on Scotland's People and hit the jackpot. The will was for Mary Hope Irvin nee Elliot and it is 27 pages long...she listed all her siblings including my ancestor Christina and your ancestor Isabella. So I was able to check Mary's death record and find her parents were John Elliot & Margaret Hart. Again on Scotland's People, I then checked for John's death record that listed his parents as Andrew Elliot & Mary Murdie. I do not have anything further for Margaret Hart and would love to know the names of her parents. Also, mentioned in Mary's will is her nephew Stuart Douglas Elliot, solicitor, Supreme Court of Edinburgh....who I think was a son of Isabella & Robert? He was an executor along with Robert Elliot of Cavers Mains and Adam Smith of Bewlie Mains, Lilliesleaf. It is so exciting that you have John Elliot's bible and an early photo of the farm.(*) I would be very happy to have any information that you could share with me.  Thanks!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline LindaLily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 May 14 01:08 BST (UK) »
 Sorry, I was so excited to find a cousin that I posted my email here. I did try to PM Andy with that information so hopefully I did that correctly.

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 May 14 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I help do research for Borders FHS.  Our archives have not moved yet, they are at Old Gala House.  The other address is a private address. Let me know if I can help.

Barbara