Author Topic: McBean/Alvie  (Read 43575 times)

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McBean/Alvie
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 December 08 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry,
This looks like your family:

Jean, daughter to Alexander McGrigor and Christian Kennedy in Dalraddy was born on the 20th and bap. the 25th Feb. 1794.

Is this Alexander's sister?
Margaret, daughter to Donald McBean in Tullisoll and Jane McGrigor his spouse was born the 14th of June and bap. the 5th of July 1818.

The Scottish names Jean and Jane are interchangeable, by the way--just to keep us really confused. See www.whatsinaname.net.

Laura

Offline tezzanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 December 08 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Laura, 
You are a real sweetheart.  At last after twenty years of working on the tree you have managed to get over the hurdle we are all stumbling on.

You are hereby awarded to Sherlock Holmes medal.

Well done and I thank you.

Merry Christmas.

Terry

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 December 08 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Larkspur

I don't know if this family is related to yours but I found their headstones in a local cemetery in West Australia

MARY
BELOVED WIFE OF DUNCAN MACPHERSON
BORN APRIL 5TH 1819
at Alvie Invernesshire
Died in this colony
June 13th 1888
Aged 69 years
There is also headstones for Duncan MacPherson and Aeneas Macpherson

All from Alvie let me know if you think there could be any connection.
There are also Mackintosh's from Alvie buried there.

wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 December 08 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry the Mackintoshes are from Inverness

wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 February 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Has anyone come across anything on Elizabeth McBean who married Donald Fraser in Inverness 21 Aug 1824.  I'm hoping they might be parents of a Rebecca Fraser born c 1824 at Stratherrick.  The only evidence I have is death cert for Rebecca's husband Donald Cameron says his mother was Elizabeth McBean but I believe she was Isabel McDonald (Donald born 1815 at Resolis).  This occurred sometimes in Australian records where children never knew their grandparents after parents migrated and were confused about which grandmother was which. Rebecca was at Culcabock age 17 with a Donald Fraser age 78 possibly grandfather in 1841. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline spittalhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 February 09 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone connect to Elizabeth McBean who was married to William Mann and died at Tombain Cottage, Alvie on 20 Dec 1891. The death certificate gives her parents as Donald McBean, farmer and Mary Fraser. According to an earlier census she was born in GlenUrquhart. I have so far been unable to positively trace her parentage back any further.

Offline jeandonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 May 09 16:37 BST (UK) »
I've just found something interesting about my great grandmother.  She had an illegitimate child by William McBean of Alvie.  The childs name was Georgina.  My great grandmother was Jane Clark but she didn't marry William McBean, she married Charles Douglas in Perthshire.  Georgina was brought up by her father and she married James McLean in Alvie.

She obviously knew her mother was now Jane Douglas (nee MsClark).  Isabella (Bell) who was Janes sister was on the 1871 census as general servant in William McBean's household.  She died there of gastroenteritis. 

There parents were John Clark and Elizabeth Gordon (with MacPhersons and Camerons thrown in too).  They were crofters in Strone, Kingussie.  Georgina was born in Strone in 1861 and died in Cromdale in 1952 aged 91

I've had a busy afternoon finding skeletons in the cupboard.  Hope this helps someones family tree because it's certainly opened my eyes today.

Jean

Offline tezzanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,
I have been searching for information on the McBean's of Alvie Parish from the village of Tallisol Of Raitts which is 2 k's from Kingussie for more than 20 years and I am at a standstill with the birth in 1791 of Donald McBean and Jean McGregor his wife of 1794.  They had six children but I don't think they are connected to William.  I will do a little research and see if they fit into out tree and will keep you posted.
I have other McBeans and memebers of the family who bare also trying to get over the hurdle of Donald and Jean.

All the best,

Terry in Sydney

Offline jeandonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Terry

The William McBean I refer to is the son of William McBean and Isabella Davidson.

The children were:-
John  born 16.06.1809  and baptized 18.06.1809
Lachlan born 20.10.1810 and baptized 29.10.1810
Margaret born 5.06.1815 and baptized 23.06.1815
Alexander born 25.05.1817 and baptized 05.06.1817
Isabell born  29.10.1819 and baptized 9.11.1819
William, born 25.09.1821 and baptized 19.19.1821. Died 03.05.1889
Samuel born 25.04.1823 and baptized 04.05.1823

There is reference to Lachlan McBean on the internet.  I believe he went to Australia.

Hope this helps.

Jean