Author Topic: Trying to find pamphlet : MacArthurs of Brae Lochaber  (Read 4520 times)

Offline annie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trying to find pamphlet : MacArthurs of Brae Lochaber
« on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can find or access a copy of a pamphlet by Stuart MacDonald called 'The MacArthurs of the Braes of Lochaber'? I think it was written in the 1990s. The author is now dead and I can't find it online tho' I've found it referenced.

I'd also be interested in any views on the accuracy of the information in it.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find pamphlet : MacArthurs of Brae Lochaber
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Annie, I don't know where you live, but if you are in Scotland, there are a couple of options in the link:-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y6k/

Regards

Malky

Offline annie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Malky,

thank you very much for such a speedy reply! I visit the Highlands regularly so that is absolutely brilliant.

Annie

Offline salliz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 February 16 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Annie, I have just photocopied this pamphlet to send to a relation in South Africa, in fact he provided some of the information. The library in Fort William has a copy in their reference section.

Offline annie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 16 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Salliz,

thanks for replying. I found the pamphlet in the FW library. It was very interesting.

Do you or your relation have any further info. on the McArthurs in the area? I'm trying to work out if Angus McArthur born c1795 - 1870 & married to a Catherine MacDonald, and Alexander McArthur born c1780s and married to Isabella are brothers.

Annie

Offline salliz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 16 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Annie, I have had a quick look at Angus and Alex McArthur.  There are two Angus McArthurs.
1.  Angus McArthur died 23.05.1859 age 78 at Highbridge. His father was Archibald McArthur and
     mother Ann McArthur ms MacDonald.
2.  Angus McArthur died 05.05.1870, widower, Invergarry age 82. His father was Archibald McArthur
     mother Catherine McArthur ms MacDonald. The informant was his son Alex.
The two Alexanders I found were
1. Alexander, Tailor died 14.05.1876, Fort Augustus, age 39. His father Angus McArthur, mother
    Catherine McArthur ms MacDonald. Informant says widow Catherine. (Could be his wife or mother)
2. Alexander, widower of Margaret MacDonald died Achluachrach 13.11.1899 age 80.
    His father was Donald McArthur, mother Isabella McArthur ms MacDonald. Informant John   
    McArthur, son, Killiechonate.

Offline annie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 16 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the info.

The Angus I'm interested in is the one that died in 1870. There is no official record as such that I've been able to find for the Alexander I'm looking for and I think he was dead well before 1841. I got his details from his daughter Isabella's death certificate. In an application for poor relief she refers to her parents being dead and Angus as her uncle. I'm trying to work out if Angus and Alexander are brothers or were their wives sisters (both were MacDonald). Isabella also refers to a MacDonald aunt, so it is very confusing to say the least!

Offline mornanny

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 June 23 04:43 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if the Fort William library also has a copy of Stuart Macdonald's pamphlet on the MacKillops of Brae Lochaber?