Author Topic: William Bradley or William Burrell  (Read 2940 times)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Bradley or William Burrell
« on: Friday 13 June 14 20:00 BST (UK) »
I am going a bit further with my research on the Burrell/Bradley family who lived in Colston Bassett.
I haven't been able to find the baptism of William Burrell/Bradley born in Oct 1839 to Thomas and Elizabeth Burrell/Bradley. His birth certificate gives his parent's surname as Burrell but the censuses record him as Bradley!! I have the baptisms of the other children in the family

Something seems to have happened around 1835 to make the father change surname from Burrell to Bradley

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: William Bradley or William Burrell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 June 14 16:06 BST (UK) »
Eric on the NFHS, as you say the name changes there are 8 baptisms for children of Thomas and Elizabeth at Colston Bassett, sadly no William.
The earliest 11-8-1822 Mary Ann dau of Thomas and Elizabeth BURRELL
the last 27-3-1835 Elizabeth dau of Thomas And Elizabeth BRADLEY
3 children baptised under Bradley and 4 under Burrell, one under Burrill.
the marriage same Church
26-11-1821 Thomas Burrell and Elizabeth Gun.
Burial same Church
6-11-1853 Elizabeth Bradley abode Colston Bassett no age given.

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Bradley or William Burrell
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 June 14 18:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Larkspur
William is the only child who has a birth certificate. His mother registered the birth and gave her name as Elizabeth Burrell and the father as Thomas Burrell. I was hoping to find a baptism to see under which name he had been baptised. I thought originally that the Burrell/Bradley name changes were due to the father Thomas being an illegitimate child, and that his mother later married and he was brought up with the husband's surname, but why would he wait 35 or so years and 2 marriages and several children's baptisms before changing it!!!!! Incidentally the Burrell/Bradley problem continues for a couple more generations.

Thomas appears to have been born in Lincolnshire so I will see if I can find any answers there!!

Thanks again

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815