Author Topic: Was Frances Fowler my 2 x great grandfather's sister?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Was Frances Fowler my 2 x great grandfather's sister?
« on: Monday 09 December 13 08:43 GMT (UK) »
While looking at Jerripedia records for any connections with my Fowler family of Jersey, I came across a Frances Fowler who I think may be a previously unknown sister to my 2 x great grandfather Charles Fowler.
Frances was married to Thomas Simmonds (RN) on 16 Dec 1822. Thomas subsequently died and she married John Fort Pike Willcock on 22 Dec 1838. Both marriages took place in St Helier.
On the 1841 Frances and John F P Wilcock are living in Guernsey, his occupation is Surgeon dentist. Her place of birth is given as Ireland, his as England. The marriage record says he is from Plymouth and she is from St Helier, but it may mean that was where they most recently resided. She is down as 25 and he is 40, but as her first marriage was in 1822, she would be too young even if she was 29 (oldest possible under rounding rules). I would have discounted any connection with my family except that staying with them is Emily C(ordelia) A(nn) Bird one of the twin daughters of Emily Fowler and Joseph Bird. Emily Fowler is definite sister to my 2 x great grandfather. Emily snr and other twin are with other Fowlers which are also definitely mine in 1841.
John was born on 6 May 1801 in Plymouth but not baptised for almost 2 years. He married his first wife Eleanora Riordan in Newington Surrey, then at some point came to Channel Islands. So his age on census is accurate.
The father of my 2 x gt grandfather was Kenneth Fowler and his mother was Mary Ann and I have a list of children born to them around the south and east of England following his posting as a soldier in the Royal Artillery, but I haven't any idea whether he served in Ireland.
I haven't been able to find any trace of Frances and John Willcock on later censuses to confirm her year of birth and age or found her in the limited records I have been able to find for Ireland.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was Frances Fowler my 2 x great grandfather's sister?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 12:19 GMT (UK) »
I've managed to find Frances Willcock (nee Fowler) on the 1871 census as a widow, with a definite sister of my 2 x great grandfather and a definite niece of his, so I have answered my own original question. However her year of birth is a bit problematical. The year given on 1841 census (1807), fits best in the set of children. Her year of birth in 1871 is given as 1811 (age 60) seems to be too young. Birthplace of Ireland is consistent on both 1841 and 1871 censuses.

Can anyone please find her on 1851 and / or 1861 censuses. Her husband John Fort Pike Willcock was born about 1801 in Plymouth, he was with her in 1841 occupation Dental Surgeon, living in Guernsey. I cannot find his death on England and Wales BMD so suspect he died in either Guernsey or Jersey.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 16 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Was she born Essex  :-\

1861 Stoke Damerel, Devonport  -  RG9/1455 f103 p36
occupation Teacher - Widow
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 January 16 13:36 GMT (UK) »
On the two censuses I've found, she says she was born in Ireland. Unfortunately, he father's service record seems not to have survived, so I can't confirm when or if he was in Ireland. He was in the Royal Artillery and judging from where other children were born / baptised, he was moved around a bit, so Ireland is quite likely.
Looking at the 1861 image for the lady born in Essex, it looks like London has been crossed out after Essex, but it doesn't look like London was written and corrected to Essex. The word is in the position where the town or village would be written, so likely to be a town with a name similar to London. I have found a Laindon near Basildon.

It's a pity I can't find her husband's death. I suspect it was Jersey or Guernsey, which is why it's so elusive.