Author Topic: MARTIN Family  (Read 32638 times)

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN Family
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 October 06 16:30 BST (UK) »
Charles Martin married Elizabeth Seamor in abt 1827.

This is correct. I dont have the exact date for some reason in my notes but i do have their marriage at Little Thetford in 1827.

Our genealogy friends at www.familysearch.org shows that they married in 1827 and again, no exact date, perhaps this wasnt recorded in the register (it seems funny to me that both I and them have no exact date listed but reassures me that it wasnt just me with dodgy research note taking). It goes on to note that Charles was born in about 1802 and that Elizabeth was born in about 1806, BOTH in Little Thetford.

Hope this helps.
Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.

Offline pacificmudman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 14 October 06 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that.

You're right, Julius Martin emigrated to Australia on an assisted passage - 1 pound .Julius was illiterate and cited his religion as Church of England. Julius made his way to Wollongong just south of Sydney.  Wollongong must have been a most beautiful place at that time - coastal with good rainfall and a temperate climate.
Julius continued his life as an agricultural labourer and married Sarah McKenzie (the daughter of Scottish immigrants) in 1859. They lived on a farm at American Creek and farmed the rich alluvial soils there.

Back to young William Martin - you mentioned a burial register - are there cemetries in Cambs. with burials of Martins dating back to 1840s and before ? and where would they be if the burial register is in Stretham Parish?

thanks

Mark Martin

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 14 October 06 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

Back to young William Martin - you mentioned a burial register - are there cemetries in Cambs. with burials of Martins dating back to 1840s and before ? and where would they be if the burial register is in Stretham Parish?

Yes there are a number of cemeteries in Cambridgeshire, used when the parish churchyards have filled up. The Stretham churchyard is packed with headstones although it is unlikely that young William would have been given such a grand (and expensive) memorial as that. The oldest headstones i've spotted have been the mid to late 1700s but they are far and few between and most of the really old ones can be quite weathered and hard to read.

As for Stretham, the parish register of burials (as well as ones for christenings, baptisms and marriages) from around this time will be kept at the Cambridge based County Records Office at Shire Hall in Cambridge. Below is a link that explains what they do and also contact details - they are very helpful :)

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/visiting/crocambridge.htm

Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.

Offline pacificmudman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 14 October 06 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Andrew.

Checked out the link - The archives contain 20 million items!

Not quite sure where to start - might see if I can access early (1800-1850) maps of the area.

cheers

Mark Martin

Offline Hunnyb22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 27 October 06 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark...I hope this doesn't confuse you but there were a lot of Martins in the Isle of Ely, my paternal family were Martins from the Wardy Hill, Coveney area. And yes, my great grandfather was also called Charles Martin (b.1825).

RG10/1603 folio 75B
Wardyhill, Coveney
Charles Martin head marr 45 ag lab
Elizabeth Martin (nee Houghton) wife 43
Mary Martin dau unmarr 21 ag lab
Elizabeth Martin dau 15 ag lab
Charles Martin son 13 ag lab
Emma Martin dau 11 scholar
James Martin son 9 ag lab
Benjamin Martin son 7 scholar
Joseph Martin (my grandfather) son 5 scholar
Eliza Jane Martin dau 3
Sarah Martin dau 11 mths
All born Wardyhill

I'm not saying there's a connection to your family, but you never know. If there is a connection, I've traced my Martin family back to 1694, I have a lot of information if you need it.

Hunnyb22

Offline pacificmudman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 October 06 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Hunny,

Thanks for that

Yes - I'm easily confused ! - it is quite possible that our Martins are connected - Wardy Hill and Little Thetford being not too far apart (approx. 6 - 7 kms ?) -  how do we find out?

My 3g grandfather Charles Martin I believe was born in Barway which is quite close to Little Thetford. Ring any bells for you?

regards

Mark Martin

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 October 06 08:41 BST (UK) »
There's also quite a few Martins in Soham, which is much closer to Barway than Wardy Hill is.

The Martins that Hunny has just listed are part of my Martin family

http://www.familytreeuk.co.uk/Martin
Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.

Offline pacificmudman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 27 October 06 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrew

Mark

Offline Hunnyb22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 October 06 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Again Andrew, Chris here...It could be that Mark is related to us as our great, great grandparents were James Martin (1784- 1856) and Mary Waters (1785-1869) and together they had twelve known children. With your help, I was able to go back to 1694, but would love to go back even further.

If Mark is related, I would be happy to give more information into the Martin family as I have built a whole database on them. I still haven't finished building my webpage yet though.

Kind regards
Chris.