Author Topic: Ayres family location in 18th century  (Read 44040 times)

Offline Peters History

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ayres family location in 18th century
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 November 11 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I have my Great Great Great Grandfather Daniel Ayres, living in a Caravan on a Public House car-park in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire in the 1850's. They were working on a Large Family Estate(The Meux Estate) at that time. Then his son Joseph moved his wife and family down to Fifield, nr. Malborough he took up the position of coachman and looked after the horses. This turned out to be another farming area owned by the Meux Estate as in North London. Research has shown that there was part of the family Ayres already living in that area. At the turn of the century the family moved back to the Watford area.
Although caravan dwellers in the 1850's, it appears like all farm labourers they moved arround with the work and working with horses may show a link to the gypsy style of living.
There was also a famous gypsy bare knuckle boxer by the name of Ayres.
If anyone has any connections with my side of the family, I would like to hear from you, so we could exchange research.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Peter, Do you have any Ayres' connections into Cambridgeshire? It does of course share a boundary with Hertfordshire so obviously isn;t too far away, specially interested in any Ayres or Cornwells in the area of Bottisham/Lode near Cambridge.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peters History

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
RedRoger - sorry most of my ancesters from the early 1700's seem to come from the Stokenchurch Area of Buckinghamshire, with the odd relative moving into Oxfordshire. But with 6/8 children in each generation they could well have spread Eastwards.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Peter It seems any connection might be a long way back then. A Y chromosome DNA test might help, but as Ayres is on my mother's side I am unable to oblige.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline theone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My great grandmother was an Ayres her family came from Hampshire, she married a Parker they were Romany's around Epsom, so l would think she was a Romany too, l am looking into the Ayres family name and it seems to be a gypsy name.
Anne

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
My Ayres family seem to have arrived in Lode Cambridgeshire sometime during the 18th century.

Offline Sheri Couzens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 21:26 GMT (UK) »
after doing some research on my family side of ayres,they seem to dwell at amptill bedfordshire,another name involved was wood,both ayres and wood are common practice names for gypsies...can any1 place either ayres or wood from this area into their own charts please as i having a problem seeing how they ended up there,thanks :)

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 21:58 GMT (UK) »
after doing some research on my family side of ayres,they seem to dwell at amptill bedfordshire,another name involved was wood,both ayres and wood are common practice names for gypsies...can any1 place either ayres or wood from this area into their own charts please as i having a problem seeing how they ended up there,thanks :)

Hi Sheri, you might be better of posting this on the Travelling People Forum here at RootsChat, lots of knowledgeable folk will know the surnames of Wood and Ayres and most probably be able to help you.
Regards
Lyne
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 November 13 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I think the first thing I shall do is to widen my search area to include Bedfordshire.My experience of the Romany community suggests that many of them are Catholics. Has anyone heard of a community which is devoutly Baptist? My Ayres relations followed this demomination in Lode. Also is Cornwell recorded as a gypsy surname?