Author Topic: Ann SIMPSON from ?  (Read 12334 times)

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ann SIMPSON from ?
« on: Monday 27 November 06 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I am trying to find out where Ann Simpson comes from. She married:

William Ellwood St Michael's Bongate 27 JUL 1794.

Their children are: Mark, Sarah, Thomas, William, John, Margaret, Mary and Elizabeth all baptised St Michael's Bongate.

Any ideas please.

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Simpson from ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 06 21:09 GMT (UK) »

You would need to start by looking at the 1794 marriage record to see if it says "Of this parish" (or not)

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Not these Ellwoods again Gillian!!!.....

You may have a job on your hands with a name like 'Ann Simpson' there's so many of them.

I was looking at the births on IGI around the 1774s......in Westmorland alone there's alot in Kendal but I thinks there's only one in Morland in 1769.

Fay
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I haven't seen the marriage entry for St Michael's but suspect that Anne was of this parish which could mean she was living Hilton, Murton, Bongate...Her husband William was baptised 1772 Dufton but don't know where he was living at the time of his marriage. He wasn't living with his parents Mark & Ann in Brough/U/Stainmore in 1787.

I cannot find either William or Ann Ellwood in the 1841 census.

Regards,

Gillian

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 16:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a couple of deaths in the East Ward, for an Ann  & William in 1837 & 1838 but it doesn't give the birth date

I was looking at these three in 1829

ELWOOD Wm farmer Birch Field Over Staveley
ELWOOD Wm farmer Spittle Scalthwaite-Rigg
ELWOOD Wm yeoman Broadworth Corby Great

It's the Wards in Westmorland that have me baffled, I never can remember which places are in which Ward. I do know Staveley is in Kendal District but I'm sure you've already seen all these Gillian. 

I'm starting to wonder if one of them's mine!! especially the 'Rigg' one, as mine married Ann Rigg in 1820 and earlier Ellwood was spelt with one 'L'. ..............quickly trying to find if Scalthwaite is anywhere near Shap.
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 November 06 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fay,

I found this in genuki about Scalthwaite Rigg:

The parish of Kirkby in Kendale is very extensive, comprehanding 24 townships or constablewicks, viz. Kendal, Helsington,, Natland , Scalthwaite Rigg (including Hay and Hutton in the Hay), New Hutton , Old Hutton  and Holme Scales, Docker, Lambrigg, Grayrigg , Whinfell, Fawcet Forest, Whitwell and Selside , Slelsmergh and Patton, Burmeshead  , Strickland Roger, Strickland Ketel, Long Sleddale  , Kentmere , Crook  , Winster, Over Staveley, Nether Staveley, Hugill, Underbarrow and Bradley Field; and some of these, for convenience, have been subdivided:- And 15 chapelries, viz. Kendal, Helsington, Natland, New Hutton, Old Hutton, Grayrigg, Selside, Burneshead, Long Sleddale, Kentmere, Crook, Winster, Staveley, Ings [Hugill], and Underbarrow.

Yes I too had looked at Ellwood/Elwood Farmers in the 1829 directory. William was a farmer according to his son John's marriage cert.

Best regards,

Gillian

Offline Jos Search

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann SIMPSON from ?
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 19:53 BST (UK) »
I too am descended from this William Ellwood and Anne Simpson. I have Williams parents but know nothing about Anne so would also like to know where she came from!

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 June 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jos,

Welcome to Rootschat!!

I have since found a burial on familysearch (no place of burial unfortunately) 5/4/1841 age 69 therefore b1772. He died just before the 1841 census!!! His death is in freebmd Jun 1841 East Ward 25 315. I cannot find Ann's death. East Ward fits in with the Appleby area.

From which child of William & Anne are you descended?

Gillian

Offline Jos Search

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 June 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am descended from William and Annes son Mark (b.1796) who married Mary Kipling, then their son John (1835 - 1906) who married Mary Wilcock, then their son William (1870 - 1918) who married Isabella Lambert,  he died in the Influenza epidemic. Then their oldest of 10 children John Thomas (1891 - 1978) was my great grandad, I remember him, his daughter Kathleen Joyce (1924 - 1990) was my mothers mother. Have a photo of William my gt gt Grandfather and lots of generations descended from him. I've made lots of contacts just recently which is brilliant - though lots to digest! I've got details of brothers and sisters etc for anyone who's interested. Would love to get back further, I have Williams (b1772) parents Mark and Ann but need to find exactly how they connect to the early Yeoman farmer Ellwoods at Lupton. Would also like to find more about Anne Simpson so have lots to do as well as all the other family lines I have! Keep in touch :) Jo