Author Topic: Johnson family of Crosby Ravensworth/Shap/Hilton  (Read 16321 times)

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson family of Crosby Ravensworth/Shap/Hilton
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Philip,

Glad to help!!

I have a lot of info about your Chester Johnson branch.

From which son/daughter of William & Sarah are you descended? I have a number of photos of the family. Send me a personal message thro' Rootschat with your email address so that I can send them to you. The files are too large to upload here.

Richard Johnson's parents were Thomas Johnson & Mary Allon who lived in Hilton near Appleby.

Thomas' parents were Ralph Johnson & Eleanor Bow who lived in Dufton.

Best regards,

Gillian

Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline Bob Eland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 November 12 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gigi

I have just registered with Roots chat and see an old thread you laid regarding Johnsons of Hilton.

I have a brick wall - I am trying to link a Thomas Johnson (Jonston) who married a Frances Hodgson in Penrith 1805. The date of 1772 and the name of Ralph could link with the data you have collated for a Thomas Johnson b1772 Hilton Appleby).

Thomas & Frances's daughter Mary (b1807 Penrith) went on to marry a Thomas Eland (b1809 Penrith)
I would be interested in any information

Bob

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 November 12 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Welcome to Rootschat!

I have a Thomas Johnson bap 1782 St Michael's Appleby son of Thomas Johnson & Mary Allon. The family are in the 1787 census of Westmorland living in Hilton. Thomas the father is a mason.

I do not have any marriage for the son Thomas.

How do you link to the name Ralph? Thomas senior's father was Ralph Johnson of Dufton.

Regards,

Gillian

Offline Bob Eland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gillian

Thank you for getting back to me.

I am trying to trace back from a Mary Johnson (or Johnston) born 1807/08 Penrith daughter of Thomas Johnson and Frances Hodgson who married Penrith 1805. A Ralph Johnston was whitness at this marriage (possibly Uncle or brother).

Ralph being a less common name I reseached for Ralph in Cumberland and Westmorland and established similar info to that you quote by studying the published 1787 census and IGI. I have not been able to catagorically link to Thomas 1782 of Hilton but other later events do give strong possibilities.

Frances died 1814 and In 1816 Thomas remarried to Ann Pattinson (1851 census confirms her birthplace as Appleby) she had recently been widowed and like Thomas had young children. My thinking here is that they new each other from their younger days in Appleby.

Mary (1808) went on to marry a Thomas Eland (my paternal line) in Appleby 1829. Thinking of name convention of that era. Their first child was named Joseph after his father. The second was named Thomas after her father. The third was named Isaac after his grandfather. The fourth was named Ralph possibly after her grandfather.

Have you by chance got your tree published on on Genes Reunited ?

From what you have indicated unfortunately your own research has not included Thomas (1782) - I would be interested in anything which either confirms my calculated guess or knocks the theory on the head.

Regards
Bob

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Yes the first name Ralph is a good one to follow! I didn't know that a Ralph Johnson was witness to Thomas' Wedding. This would suggest a definate link to my Johnson family along with the naming of a child later on. Ralph junior would have been named after his paternal great grandfather as his father & paternal grandfather were both called Thomas.

Is your Thomas in the 1851 census? If so where was he born? My Richard & his brother George both died before the census so I got no help there!

There is an interesting burial record in familysearch:

Mary Johnson 4/11/1842 Westmorland. Which is backed up by freebemd: Death 1842 Dec East Ward v25 p300.

Looking at the Westmorland census, I found a Mary Johnson living alone at Appleby Alms houses aged 80 in 1841. No family with her unfortunately. I cannot find Thomas' death, her husband.

My tree is on Genes Reunited. We may have been in contact before?

Regards,

Gillian

Offline Bob Eland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gillian

Unfortunately I have no reference to Thomas (1782) after birth of children in second marriage 1818.
He was not with his second wife in Penrith in 1841. So unless he did a runner I assume he died between 1818 & 1841 - I don't think his second wife would have had him buried with his first wife at St Andrews Penrith. Also he was not present at his daughters wedding 1829 so maybe he was dead by then.

At one stage I thought maybe Thomas 1755 had remarried in Frances Hodgson in 1805 but in the record of Thomas's marriage to Ann Pattinson in 1816 he is quoted as being a Tailor not a mason. (clutching at straws or what).

If you are Gillian McK---- I can open a link on Genes Reunited and give you access to my tree.

Regards
Bob

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Yes that is me Gillian McK.

My tree doesn't have much detail on it in GR.

I'll send a personnal message with my email address so that you can email me and I'll send some info I have & also some about George Johnson, the brother from another researcher.

Regards,

Gillian

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 July 13 19:51 BST (UK) »
Not to thro spanners, but the Constables census for 1787 gives a Ralph in both Hilton and Dufton ??? both children
Ralph (variuos spellings) is a family name earliest 1627 and he was father of Elizabeth and Margaret in 1628
Ralph baptised 1724 is the son of John
1777 Ralph is in the window tax list for Dufton
1627 Ralph marries Annas Hodgson
These are all Johnson
I have no Ralphs spelling the surname anyother way
regards

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 July 13 20:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry back again
St lawrence Appleby 1816 Thomas Burried Tombstone as him from Colby
If this is your man he left a will which can be found in Carlisle Archives
Back tracking a little there is a Thomas in 1790 who was a Corset Maker living in Appleby
The Johnson, Johnston,& Johnstone History in the Appleby Area goes back to 1580
regards