Author Topic: Mary Jane and Margaret Moore  (Read 6910 times)

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mary Jane and Margaret Moore
« on: Thursday 06 June 13 23:59 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information about Mary Jane and Margaret Moore. They emigrated to Australia on the James L Bogart arriving Port Phillip in April 1853. Shipping transcripts say MJ born around 1831; Margaret around 1832. Family tradition says they were from Co Clare but MJ's death certificate says Galway. The father's name was John Moore. I did find a Mary Moore born to John and Honor Moore in Galway in 1828, but no trace of a Margaret born to the same family, so am wondering if the tradition of them being from Clare is in fact correct. Not having 400 euros for County Clare to do research I am not quite sure where to turn to for finding any real information about this pair. Margaret seems to disappear without trace after emigrating to Australia. MJ eventually came to NZ with her daughter and her daughter's family, dying in 1900.
Any help or a point in the right direction would be gratefully accepted!

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane and Margaret Moore
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 June 13 01:16 BST (UK) »
It is difficult to trace these ladies as they were born before Civil Registration in Ireland in 1864.
Do you have a marriage Cert for Mary Jane as you state her fathers name was John Moore.
I am trying to find information about Mary Jane and Margaret Moore. They emigrated to Australia on the James L Bogart arriving Port Phillip in April 1853. Shipping transcripts say MJ born around 1831; Margaret around 1832. Family tradition says they were from Co Clare but MJ's death certificate says Galway. The father's name was John Moore. I did find a Mary Moore born to John and Honor Moore in Galway in 1828, but no trace of a Margaret born to the same family, so am wondering if the tradition of them being from Clare is in fact correct. Not having 400 euros for County Clare to do research I am not quite sure where to turn to for finding any real information about this pair. Margaret seems to disappear without trace after emigrating to Australia. MJ eventually came to NZ with her daughter and her daughter's family, dying in 1900.
Any help or a point in the right direction would be gratefully accepted!

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 June 13 01:25 BST (UK) »
The information about the father's name is from the death certificate. No information about the mother.

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 June 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
According to family "history", the father, John Moore was on the Victory at Trafalger. There was indeed a private John Moore on that ship, but from what I gather was born around 1777, which would make him a relatively older father, but still possible I suppose, that or the one on the Victory was a grandfather. I am presuming that there must be this connection as it seems unlikely to me that the name of a private on the ship would have been known to all and sundry.

Offline Yarra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 January 14 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have just found your entry for this family who are ancestors of mine - what is your link to them? The information you have is almost the same as mine but I have a few more snippets & photos. Margaret went back to Ireland (from info on photo of her) and John may have died in Australia, possibly was a felon (again from info on back of his pic.) He, or maybe his father, was associated with the 'Victory' ship (have a memorial medallion). I agree his DOB seems rather early for the father of these sisters. Look forward to hearing from you.

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 January 14 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yarra,
 Mary Jane Moore is my great great grandmother. I will message you privately as I would love to see a photo and find more information. I have a photo of a man we presume to be John Moore (the younger?) which I will send you.
George

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 January 14 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Here is a photo of a man I suspect may be John Moore.

Offline Yarra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 January 14 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,

Wow! This is amazing. She is also my great great grandmother. Do you know how many children she had? We understood there was only one, born in Australia. The photo is delightful. I will get what I have copied for sending to you.

Regards,
Y

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 January 14 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yarra,
The only child I know that Mary Jane had was my gg grandmother Margaret. She may have had others, but do not know. I know she came to New Zealand with Margaret in the 1880s, as my great grandfather started his NZ schooling aged around 9. I have also sent you a message with what my great grandfather wrote about his family history.  :)