Author Topic: Cullen/Powers Marriage  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Hatter99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cullen/Powers Marriage
« on: Monday 22 September 14 18:44 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace the marriage of a Thomas Cullen and Ada Powers. Thomas was born in Roscommon Ireland in 1835 or thereabouts and Ada in July 1839 Birmingham.
In 1861 they are living with Adas mother at Court 18 - 3, Latimer Street South, Birmingham together with their son Thomas who was born in February 1861.
By 1871 Thomas and Ada have moved to London (Thomas jnr. remains with his grandmother Sarah in Birmingham.
On the 1911 census Thomas and Ada say they have been married for 51 years putting the marriage in 1860 or thereabouts. Both Thomas and Ada die in 1914.
So far I've had no luck trying to trace the marriage and am beginning to wonder if they ever did get married!

Any help would be gratefully received.
Descendants of Robert Lisle b1721 d1803 of Bamburgh, Northumberland

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cullen/Powers Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I can't spot a marriage either.There may be a problem with Ada's first name as there is not a Ada Powers birth registered in Birmingham and did initially wonder looking at the censuses if her full name was Sarah Ada but no luck with that either and I can't spot a Miss Powers marrying a Cullen anything in England and Wales 1851-1861.
However there is a family tree on Ancestry by mandycooper756 which has Thomas's father as John Cullen .I don't see how she could know that unless she had found the marriage perhaps a quick e-mail to her might help.(She has his mother as Mary Jane Cullen 1810 -1892 which sort of fits with the 1871 census and there is a matching death in London).

Ciderdrinker

Offline Hatter99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cullen/Powers Marriage
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply cider drinker.

On Ada's birth certificate no entry was made in the first name column. On the 1841 census she is shown as Hadee or possibly Hardie. She is shown as Edithae Eda Power on a baptism for a son Richard in 1865 and as Adae on the baptism for Thomas Jnr. in 1862, these are for St Peter's Birmingham on Ancestry.

Mary Jane is shown as Jane on the 1871 census living with Thomas in Clerkenwell, in 1881 she appears as Mary J Cullen living with a grand daughter who is married to a Thomas Cratton she died in 1892.

In contact with another Cullen hunter and we have worked backwards to find the mother of Mary Cratton (or Crathern) to establish Mary J,'s husband as John.

Thank you for looking at this for me it is much appreciated.

Descendants of Robert Lisle b1721 d1803 of Bamburgh, Northumberland