Author Topic: Slanderous statements in Polesworth, 1922  (Read 2310 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Slanderous statements in Polesworth, 1922
« on: Sunday 12 October 14 13:23 BST (UK) »
I've found a newspaper notice in the Tamworth Herald, dated 24 June 1922 that really intrigues me.  It reads:

"I HEREBY GIVE NOTICE that if I hear any more slanderous statements made by certain persons against my wife and daughter, proceedings will be taken. Signed, June 21, Tom Allton, Warton Road, Polesworth."

Tom Allton was my g.g.father.  His first wife died in 1907 and he re-married in 1913 to a Margaret Fanny Conway (am awaiting delivery of the marriage certificate from GRO), which was the same year that he was declared bankrupt. 

In 1922, he only had one unmarried daughter, Millie b. 1904, so I can only assume that she's the daughter referred to.

I've searched the newspaper archives for any other references, but can't find any, nor can I find "Warton Road".

Tom dies in 1926, and apparently in 1928 Margaret is running some sort of shop at 81 High Street. 

Anyone have any ideas?

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Slanderous statements in Polesworth, 1922
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 October 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 October 14 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi STG, there is a Little Warton Road in Polesworth

http://www.britishstreets.info/little-warton-road-polesworth-warton-warwickshire

Thanks for the link.  It looks like Little Warton Road is actually in Warton village, rather than Polesworth, though.

STG

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 October 14 13:54 BST (UK) »
I suspect that at that time, although fairly recent in historical terms, Warton Road was just that - the road leading to Warton.  Everyone in the district would know where that was. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 16:52 BST (UK) »
I'd wondered about that too BumbleB, except when I look at the map there doesn't seem an obvious road for it to be, if you see what I mean, that doesn't already have an old-sounding name. 

Would love to know what the slanderous statements were though.  Perhaps it will always remain a mystery  :(

STG

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 10:16 BST (UK) »
Would love to know what the slanderous statements were though.  Perhaps it will always remain a mystery

Frustrating indeed! And the local Press wouldn't have printed them - that would have been libel and the editors would have been at risk of legal proceedings. As suing for libel has always been expensive I would think that this was a threat to make someone be quiet, but would not have actually led to action. I might be wrong.....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 15:07 BST (UK) »
Well, it seems that Tom wasn't a stranger to the courts, even before the bankruptcy, but I agree that this notice about slander was more likely to be just a warning shot to keep someone quiet.

In 1910 he took a local painter/decorator to court for unpaid work - Tom himself was a bricklayer/builder - and won, except the judgement was deferred because the painter/decorator stated an intention to sue Tom for something in return.  Not that I can find that the painter/decorator did take action against Tom. 

The 1922 "slander" notice still really intrigues me though.  I'm just never going to know what it was really all about , am I? 

STG