Author Topic: CLARK and HODGES / STROUD  (Read 14989 times)

Offline PJCPJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CLARK and STROUD
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 December 10 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eyesee,

Jeannette's sister Elizabeth Hodges CLARK married Thomas George's brother George William CLARK 08/01/1859 St Peter's, Mile End Old Town.

Regards,

Peter.
OWLES (Suffolk, Norfolk), ROOK (Devon), FRENCH (E Sussex, NSW), ANDREW (Derbyshire, Gtr Manchester, Sheffield, Australia), CROUCHER (Surrey, Hampshire)

Offline PJCPJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 December 10 03:46 GMT (UK) »
I am now convinced Louisa Lancaster was baptised Louisa Lancaster HODGES ch 30/05/1794 St Mary's, Rotherhithe, daughter of John HODGES and Sarah STROUD whose marriage I cannot yet trace.  For some reason, she adopted her mother's surname  :-X  and signed the register as Louisa Lancaster STROUD.

Her siblings were John HODGES, Carolina Matilda HODGES, and Constantia Cope HODGES.

Best wishes to all,

Peter.
OWLES (Suffolk, Norfolk), ROOK (Devon), FRENCH (E Sussex, NSW), ANDREW (Derbyshire, Gtr Manchester, Sheffield, Australia), CROUCHER (Surrey, Hampshire)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 December 10 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Peter

If both parents surnames are included in a baptism, which these ones are, then there is a good possibility that they were not married.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 December 10 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Interesting that there is a Charles Stroud LANCASTER marrying at St Ann's Soho in 1828. He was a clergyman, age 35 in 1841, so born perhaps 1802-1806

Wonder if he is not some connection.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PJCPJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CLARK and HODGES / STROUD
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eyesee,

Thank you very much for your replies.

I too doubt Sarah STROUD and John HODGES ever got round to marrying, which would explain daughter Louisa Lancaster reverting to STROUD.  I have not yet found anything else about her sisters, despite their fairly unique names.

Charles Stroud LANCASTER is indeed food for thought.  So far I cannot find his birth nor baptism nor entries in the 1851 and 1861 censuses.  He died 4th Qtr 1865 reg Poplar.

I beg to differ but in the 1841 census his occupation seems to be Clerk.  The National Archives index says he is insured March 1832, address 3 Cannon Street Road (which is in London E1) described as gent.

Very best wishes,

Peter.

Offline RachMark35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching Clark/e in Middlesex, and trying to find my husbands gt grandfathers parentage. He was a Thomas A Clark/e. I was wondering if you have any information on the Thomas A Clark in your line that is relevant to mine. I can only trace back as far as 1881 with any certainty to my Thomas A, in a census in Jersey, where he is a soldier in the RA.  Forward from that is easier. I know he had a forebear, who was a sailor called John Clarke. Do you know what happened to your Thomas A?

Thank you

Rachel Clarke

Offline PJCPJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,

All I have on my Thomas A Clark is:-
Thomas Alfred CLARK
b 15/02/1845 Poplar
1851 census 7 Maritime Cottages, Stepney London E1 (mother Jeannette's mother Louisa Lancaster CLARK's household) : occ Scholar
1861 census 7 Maritime Alms Houses, Bow Common Lane, London E3 (mother Jeannette's mother Louisa Lancaster CLARK's household)

Parents:
Thomas George CLARK
1844 (wedding) 5 Collingwood Place, London E14 : occ Engineer
1845 res Poplar London E14 : occ Engineer
1846 res 7 Maritime Cottages, Stepney London E1 (wife Jeannette's father John CLARK's household) : occ Engineer
1860 res 17 Peel Grove, Bethnal Green London E2 : occ Engineer
married 08/04/1844 St Paul's, Shadwell
Jeannette CLARK
b 30/04/1824 Rotherhithe
ch 06/05/1825 St Mary's, Rotherhithe
1841 census Mariners Alms Houses, Bow Common, London E3
1844 (wedding) Mariners Alms Houses, Bow Common, London E3 (recorded as Jannet - of full age)
1846 res 7 Maritime Cottages, Stepney London E1 (father John's household)
1860 res 17 Peel Grove, Bethnal Green London E2

Thomas George CLARK's parents:
Thomas Ralph CLARK
1844 (son Thomas George's wedding) occ Engineer
d pre-1859
married 06/03/1817 St Mary's, Newington
Sarah Allen SMITH

Do you still feel your Thomas A CLARK is my Thomas Alfred CLARK?

Best wishes,

Peter.

Offline RachMark35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter
Thank you for your prompt reply. I have been checking facts on my Thomas A and I am beginning to think that he is not your Thomas A. I tried to work out the line using your details for your Thomas, and I couldn't really get a definite line. I did find a possible death for your Thomas A. in 1913 in Poplar. Also 1 or 2 census possibilities, with a wife/daughter called Lydia. However, I have definitely got my Thomas A on the 1881,1901 and 1911 census. I can pinpoint these censuses because of the unusual name of one of his daughters, and the fact of the last two censuses also being in Weymouth, where he died and he got married. I cannot find him or his family in the 1891, which makes  me think that he and his family are abroad, where he is serving in the Royal Artillery. Its the time before 1875 when he married in Weymouth, that I have a problem with. He puts that he was born in Middlesex, London, his birth date varies, but generally works out to be 1846/7. He died in 1930 in Weymouth aged 84.

I have been checking all the certificates I have on him, and realise that on the 3 censuses I have, he only puts his name as Thomas Clarke. On his wifes death certificate he is put down as T.A. Clarke,and on some of the other certificates. I am beginning to wonder if his middle name is just wishful thinking. He put down that he has a relative, possibly a father called John Clarke, who was a sailor, hence my interest in your Thomas, even though I realise your John Clark would have been his grandfather.  I have tried to find a will, also his army service record, but so far nothing. There are more army records coming out the end of the year on Findmypast I believe, which I will search when they become available.

I also note that your Clark surname seems to continue through the years of the censuses and birth without the e, whereas our fluctuates, but eventually has ended up with an e.

Anyway, if I can find a link I will get back in touch with you, and hope that you will do the same if you need any more of my information. I hope that you can understand this rather confusing email.

Thanking you
Rachel

Offline PJCPJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,

Fair enough.  God forbid the registrars could stretch their efforts to writing a middle name before accepting the fee.  :(  After all it is an insanely cushy job and I honestly cannot see what they do that you or I could not have done when we were teenagers, and the concept of paying a fee to record a death has always been reprehensible to me.  >:(  The moron who registered my mother's death forgot the fee and subsequently wrote to me requesting it.  If my wife had not urged me to "do the right thing"...  :o

Just in case he yet proves relevant to you, I neglected to mention Thomas Alfred CLARK was christened 09/03/1845 All Saints, Poplar.  His three sisters were:-
Janet Sarah CLARK
ch 27/09/1846 Trinity Church, Stepney
1846 res 7 Maritime Cottages, Stepney London E1
Lily Stroud CLARK
b 26/11/1852
ch 29/12/1852 St Peter's, Stepney

Best wishes,

Peter.
Amy Stanley CLARK
b 03/05/1860
ch 27/05/1860 St John's, Bethnal Green
1860 res 17 Peel Grove, Bethnal Green London E2