Author Topic: Arthur of Aghadowey  (Read 4400 times)

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur of Aghadowey
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 01:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, Cah is in Errigal but think some of their land was in Aghadowey Parish at some point which is probably why I put Aghadowey.

The Moore information is from records in Canada, such as death certificate for Eliza's children, as well as family stories. Some of the Moores also went to Canada such as Eliza's brother Thomas mentioned in this family letter from 1999: “He left Ireland at age of 17 in 1852 to come to Upper Canada to seek a new home. He sailed to Hamilton, Ontario, and travelled by foot to the Hawtrey area in Norwich Township, arriving in the year 1854. William worked for his uncle, Tom Moore, in the sawmill near Hawtrey until he had saved enough to buy a farm.”

Wow Aghadowey where did you get this information from?

3 months ago I travelled to Bookton cemetery with a cousin to try and find out where my 3rd GG Henry Logan and Margaret Moore were buried. We met a lady there that had the actual accounts book of this sawmill you're talking about. From what I remember Henry Logan bought it off Tom Moore around 1857. The accounts book is from the 1850's and lists things Henry sold at the sawmill!

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 01:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry but all I know about Thomas Logan is that he was from 'Ireland.' Perhaps records in Ontario (death certificate, gravestone, etc.) might list a more exact location or names of his parents.

Thomas Logan's headstone says he was from Londonderry County, Ireland.

His parents were Henry Logan b. 1828 d. aft 1881. and Margaret Moore b. 1821. d??

Henry's parents were James Logan b. 1810. d 1842. and Susanna Moore b. 1794. d.1846.

Thomas was given a bible when he left Ireland and he kept a record of birth, deaths, marriages. I have a picture of this bible and these pages. But I am having trouble uploading them to this site as they only allow 500KB maximum.

Offline Joe Arthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 March 16 14:43 BST (UK) »
Here is some helpful info from Canada.
Re: Samuel Arthur (c1844/17 Apr 1845 Ire- 14 Feb 1919 Downie. Is my
Great Grand Father, my Grand Father is also named Samuel and have an uncle Samuel as well. Sounds confusing. My Great Grand parents (Samuel and Matida) are buried in Avondale Cemetery in Stratford, Ontario Canada. The tombstone reads that they immigrated from London Derry Ireland?.  I have pictures of this tombstone and lots of info to share. Please feel free to contact me by email. My Grand Parents Samuel and Anna nee (Murray) raised 16 children in the Stratford Ontario area.  Thanks Joe

Offline Joe Arthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 March 16 15:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, Cah is in Errigal but think some of their land was in Aghadowey Parish at some point which is probably why I put Aghadowey.

The Moore information is from records in Canada, such as death certificate for Eliza's children, as well as family stories. Some of the Moores also went to Canada such as Eliza's brother Thomas mentioned in this family letter from 1999: “He left Ireland at age of 17 in 1852 to come to Upper Canada to seek a new home. He sailed to Hamilton, Ontario, and travelled by foot to the Hawtrey area in Norwich Township, arriving in the year 1854. William worked for his uncle, Tom Moore, in the sawmill near Hawtrey until he had saved enough to buy a farm.”

Wow Aghadowey where did you get this information from?

3 months ago I travelled to Bookton cemetery with a cousin to try and find out where my 3rd GG Henry Logan and Margaret Moore were buried. We met a lady there that had the actual accounts book of this sawmill you're talking about. From what I remember Henry Logan bought it off Tom Moore around 1857. The accounts book is from the 1850's and lists things Henry sold at the sawmill!

Did some searching and Hawtrey Ontario is now a Ontario Ghost Town. You can google this and there is info on how this Town started. Just as Aghadowey stated. Also just to the west of this little town on Highway 59 there is also and an old place called Arthur's Corners. This was created from the Arthur family arriving in Canada and buying up farm land. There is no sign there now but again you can google it.  Thanks Joe