Author Topic: Presbyterian Doherty, Dogherty, Dougherty of Glendermott  (Read 4402 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Presbyterian Doherty, Dogherty, Dougherty of Glendermott
« on: Wednesday 20 August 14 01:24 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to expand the connected families to Henry Dougherty/Doherty of Coolkeeragh.

Henry was born c 1787 and died 1877. In 1831 he was in Killkeeraughmore with a household of 4 males, 4 females and one servant, all Presbyterian.

Also in Killkeeraughmore was a Hugh Dogherty, also Presbyterian with a household of 4 males,1 female and 1 servant.

I have to check but I am not sure this Hugh was still in Coolkeeragh by the time of the Griffiths valuations.

I have found somewhere ( I have not noted the sources so I do not know if it was online or the actual CofI church in Glendermott which I visited in 2006) a tombstone in Glendermott (my notes say Church Rd) for a Hugh Dougherty who died aged 84  and his wife Martha who died aged 83. No dates. So if anyone can identify this Hugh Dougherty or confirm the location of his tombstone I would be very grateful.

I have found another family of a Hugh Dogherty/Doherty that I know is connected to mine as Hugh's grandson Robert James Semple emigrated to Canada in 1920 and named Henry Dougherty's granddaughter Catherine Colhoun Abram nee Dougherty of London Ontario, as a cousin on the immigration record.

Robert's mother was Jane Doherty who married John Semple in 1867 at Glendermott. Jane was the daughter of one of the Hugh Dohertys I am interested in.

Robert James Semple was living with Hugh Doherty (age 64) of Cromkill in 1901. This Hugh was not married and I think from the Revaluations notations, he was the son of Walker Doherty. I believe this is the Hugh Dogherty/Doherty who died later in 1901 and left a Will.

Another Hugh Doherty was living in Cromkill in 1901 & 1911 and I believe he is the Hugh who died in 1911 and left a will. This Hugh was possibly a little younger (50 in 1901, but 77 in 1911).

Rachel Doherty, sister of this Hugh, died in 1916 and probate for her property (I think she inherited one of the Cromkill Doherty farms from Hugh Doherty son of Walker as his name is crossed out in the Revaluations and replaced with hers in 1903) was given to Matilda M F Semple, married Woman.

Matilda was the wife of Robert James Semple and was nee Doak. Matilda's parents were Robert Doak and Rebecca Doherty who married in Londonderry mid 1880. I do not know who Rebecca's father was. Again I know there is a connection to my Dougherty family as our Dougherty family knew about Tilly Doak inheriting a Doherty farm.

Neither of these Hughs alive in 1901 would be the Hugh Dogherty of Crumbkiln in 1831 whose family consisted of 2 males and 4 females. All Presbyterian. I do not know when this Hugh died or if he was the father of Jane Doherty.

Can anyone help with any information on any of these Hugh Dohertys please.

Cheers

Linda

Offline Dave Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dave Mitchell
    • View Profile
Re: Presbyterian Doherty, Dogherty, Dougherty of Glendermott
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Linda

Please feel free to contact me directly -- (*)

I have also been working on the Doherty's and Semples at Cromkill.  I was recently in touch with a member of Robert James Semple's family in Canada, so can give you some later information.

Also I have studied several of these Doherty wills at PRONI and the details on the Revaluation Lists.

My belief is that the Jane Doherty who married John Semple at Glendermott in 1867 was a relative of mine, through her mother.  This information comes from an unpublished letter from a cousin of hers dated 1857, which refers to a visit to Cromkill, coupled with some fairly complex deductive reasoning to build an argument using indirect evidence.  I would be very keen to run my views and arguments past you, so as to test these conclusions!

I have a copy death certificate for Samuel Mitchell Semple, died 1946 aged 73, who was most surely one of Robert James Semple's brothers.

Kind regards

Dave Mitchell
Cape Town
South Africa

researching Mitchell of Killymallaght, co. Londonderry 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
MITCHELL of Killymallaght & the Glendermott Valley, co. Londonderry, Ireland

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 August 15 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I ran across the marriage of Hugh Doherty "full age", widower, weaver by occupation, resident of Gortin, Parish of Glendermott, and son of Hugh Doherty, farmer -- to Margaret Cochran, spinster of full age, also of Gortin, and daughter of Samuel Cochran, farmer.  They were married at the Registrar's Office in the City of Londonderry on March 17, 1852.  It could be they were well up in years. I've run in to several Cochran women who married in their 50's or 60's.

Would appreciate hearing whether this couple is familiar to you.

Thanks!

Richard Cochran
Big Rapids, Michigan

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 15 02:11 BST (UK) »
It is a little while since I last looked at this family and my knowledge of the other Dougherty families is both second hand and scanty but for the sake of keeping track, I had added both Hugh Doherty b c1800 who married Martha Mitchell and Walker Doherty b c1798 of Cromkill to my family tree as siblings of my 2 x gt grandfather Henry Dougherty b1787 of Coolkeeragh.

In my tree I have included a son Hugh born c1834 and died 14 Aug 1911 as the son of Hugh Doherty and Martha Mitchell. Dave Mitchell identified the Jane Doherty (b1838) who married John Semple as another child of this couple. Rachel Doherty born c1845 and died29 Dec 1916 is I believe another in this family.

My grandmother and her twin sister (b1891) were the youngest children of William John Dougherty of Coolkeragh (son of Henry) and Margaret Jane Cole of Mullennan. My grandmother, Wilhelmina Foster Dougherty emigrated to NZ shortly after her marriage in 1921. Mina's twin sister , Violet S B M Dougherty, emigrated to NZ as a widow when in her 80s along with her younger daughter and family. One of Violets daughter's told me that an old Dougherty "Aunt" had left a family farm to Tilly Doak. I have hopefully identified that Aunt as the Rachel Doherty who died in 1916 and Tilly Doak as the Matlilda Semple nee Doak, who married Robert James Semple, son of Jane Doherty and John Semple.

I will separately post what I know of the family of Henry Dougherty of Coolkeeragh my 2 x gt grandfather.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 15 02:41 BST (UK) »
My 2 x gt grandfather Henry Dougherty of Coolkeeragh died 5 Oct 1877 aged 90 and left a will.

Henry's wife was mentioned in the will as still living but not by name and I do not know either her first name or her maiden name.

Henry's children as mentioned in his Will were:
   Martha    (born October 1838   m 1856 William SEARLES, in Pennsylvania USA)
   William John born c1836   married Glendermott 1873 to  Margaret COLE of Mullenan
   Catherine    married John LOUTHER of Lisdillon
Margaret
Mary Jane
Eliza

I do not know anything about the three possibly unmarried daughters.

Catherine was Catherine Ann and born c1844. Catherine's oldest daughter Jane Lowther was mentioned in Henry's will of 1877. Catherine's husband John Lowther was one of the witnesses at my gt grandparents wedding in 1873.

The Lowthers had moved to Castrues, Killea in Do Donegal in 1901.

Martha Dougherty emigrated to the USA prior to 1856, possibly 1851. Different dates are given for her birth and emigration in various USA census. Martha may have been born May 1832 or Oct 1838.

My gt grandparents met when my gt grandmother, Margaret Jane Dougherty nee Cole was living with her mother's sister Catherine Colhoun nee Shiels at Bishop's St Londnderry. Margaret Jane had been sent to live with Catherine & her husband Andrew Colhoun (merchant) while she attened the Miss McKillops School.

Andrew Colhoun was the other witness at my gt grandparent's marriage and William John Dougherty is supposed to have also been a relative of the Colhouns.

Cheers

Linda.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 15 07:29 BST (UK) »
I have searched the Hugh Doherty deaths recorded for Londonderry in the GRO from 1864 to 1883 and the only Hugh who died aged 84, died on 10 Jan 1872.

I was looking for the Hugh who matched the Glendermott tombstone of Hugh Dougherty who died aged 84 and Martha who died aged 73.

This Hugh is therefore likely to be the Hugh who was married to Martha Mitchell and may also be the Hugh Doherty of Crumbkiln in 1831 whose Presbyterian household comprised 2 males & 4 females.

If both are correct then Jane Doherty, daughter of Hugh and Martha, who was born c1838 possibly had 3 older sisters and one older brother born pre 1831.

Although I had hoped this Hugh (now believed to have been born c 1788) was the brother of Henry Dougherty (b c1787)  of Coolkeeragh, I am no longer sure this is the case as the Hugh Dogherty of Coolkeeragh had 4 males and one female in his family in 1831. Of course he may not have been Henry's brother.

I still think there is a close relationship between the Cromkill Doughertys and The Coolkeeragh Doughertys. My 2x gt grandfather, Henry Dougherty of Coolkeeragh, listed 4 males & 4 females in his family in 1831. I forgot to mention one other daughter, Rachael, born c1838 who died 18 Nov 1867 aged 28. So there are several names in common in both families.

I do not know which of Henry's children were born pre 1831 and he did not name any other sons in his will (written 1874) other than my gt grandfather William John Dougherty.  The notice of Rachael's death stated she was the 5th daughter of Henry Dougherty. So at least 4 other daughters were born pre 1839, one of whom would be Martha.

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 August 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for filling in the big picture of what you have researched.  It's not an uncommon name to be sure, but every little bit helps!

Richard Cochran
Big Rapids, Michigan