Author Topic: Tranent Massacre - the aftermath  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tranent Massacre - the aftermath
« on: Thursday 15 December 11 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading the London newspaper reports from the weeks following the Tranent massacre - or riots, as the papers have it. Lots of reports but many are simply repeating what they were fed by the Edinburgh press.
It was reported that about 8 "rioters" were taken away to Haddingon gaol and later to Edinburgh for trial. Somewher I read that a number of these prisoners were convicted and transported - and in 1797-8 that must have been to New South Wales.
So far I have not been able to track down any records of the trials, nor the lists of those who were tried. Can anyone help me there? My family may yet have a convict connection or two.

Incidentally, the Manchester Times and Gazette of Oct 28 1843 reprinted an article from Tait's Magazine which mentioned the "riots at Tranent" in the same context as a discussion of a "mock rebellion in the west". It remains a mystery that the people of Tranent and surrounds were dealt with so harshly when similar protests and actions were being managed relatively cleanly at numerous towns all over Scotland. Perhaps the Battle of Prestonpans was still a sore spot for many of the people in power, even after the passage of 52 years.

Cheers,

Gerry
Jennings/Jenness (Norwich); Jennings (Victoria, Australia); Farrow (Middlesex); Pye (Leicestershire); Service (N Ireland; New Zealand; Victoria); Hollinger (N Ireland); Rohan and Buckley (Co Cork, Ireland); Rohan (Victoria); Keating (Co Clare, Ireland); Lewis (Wales); Baldwin (Staffordshire); Lewis and Baldwin (West Aust); Baird and Davidson/Smith (East Lothian, Sco.); Jack and Watson (Banffshire, Sco.); Bostock (Middlesex);

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tranent Massacre - the aftermath
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 December 11 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry R,

There are no records on National Archives of Scotland of anyone being charged or tried with involvement in Tranent riots.

There are 2 letters in NAS, that mentioned the riots which are at "closed" status. One was to recommend the Earl of Haddington be made a British peer for his part in quelling the riot. These are and have been closed for a long time, I wonder why.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 December 11 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tom,

Silence is golden, it seems.

Gerry
Jennings/Jenness (Norwich); Jennings (Victoria, Australia); Farrow (Middlesex); Pye (Leicestershire); Service (N Ireland; New Zealand; Victoria); Hollinger (N Ireland); Rohan and Buckley (Co Cork, Ireland); Rohan (Victoria); Keating (Co Clare, Ireland); Lewis (Wales); Baldwin (Staffordshire); Lewis and Baldwin (West Aust); Baird and Davidson/Smith (East Lothian, Sco.); Jack and Watson (Banffshire, Sco.); Bostock (Middlesex);

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 December 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Gerry, we have a few very knowledgeable people here on RC with a special interest on the Tranent Massacre. See:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,566343.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,419515.0.html

Have a read through these two posts and then add apost on either thread if you have further questions.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 December 11 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica.

Gerry

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 February 13 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gerry,

You may be interested to read the post I have placed

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,419515.60.html

Source was books of adjournal  from Court in Edinburgh

Mags

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 13 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mags,

Thanks for your information. There are a few familiar names there!

It is hardly surprising that the court processes failed to produce a conviction. It is possible that the hearings were not pressed too far in case some of the actions of the Cinque Ports Cavalry and their command were put under the spotlight.

I haven't come across any reference to these trials - much less details of the proceedings - in any of the contemporary newspapers. I might try another search under some of the listed names. It would make interesting reading!

Regards,

Gerry