Author Topic: Macrae - McRae  (Read 20466 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Macrae - McRae
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 September 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
there is also a marriage for a francis farquhar macrae to emily humm 1872
in New Zealand
also a birth roderick welsh macrae 1876 , parents emily and farquhar

if you search births on macrae and put in mother's name as emily you'll find 7
children , mother emily/ruth , father francis/farquhar(01/01/1872 - 01/01/1897)

also emily ruth macrae death 1926 new zealand age 71

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline cmd6030

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 September 11 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ev,
I will try NZ BDM again, I tried a few weeks ago but there was a message stating that due to maintenance the site was down.  I have also previously tried with Australian BDM and huge number of Macrae came up but wasn't sure who I was looking for then. Initially I had thought that Roderick had been born in Aust and travelled here, but information since shows that it was his parent/s.

My great grandmother Emily Ruth Dobbs (nee Macrae) died in 1989.  Don't know who the Emily Ruth Macrae who died in 1926 was, possibly an Aunt. 

Thanks again for the help.
:)

Offline Jenmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 October 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
My great great great grandfather was francis farquhar mcrae born 1840 at bothwell australia that married Emily Ruth nee Humm born 1854 at Macquarrie Plains, Tasmania which her parents were Henry william Humm and Margaret nee Rooke. Francis and Ruth had 12 children .My great grandfather was one John wilmot MacRae married Elizbeth Reid/read/reed no one sure on the spelling. They had 10 children them selves my grand father being one Angus Edward (Ted) McRae.

I love to know what branches of the macrae you lovely people came from...

By the way do any of you know about the family history of Emily 's family ie the date of her father's death and where he buried....

Cheer

Jennifer

Offline cmd6030

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 October 11 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,  :)
My great grandmother Emily Ruth McRae's father was Roderick Welch McRae.
Emily was named after her grandmother Emily Ruth Hume, married to Francis Farquhar.
Are you the Jennifer Rochelle McRae listed in the Macrae's to NZ book?  If so, your John Wilmot McRae was my great great grandfather Roderick's older brother.  John Wilmot was the oldest of Francis Farquhar and Emily Ruth Hume's children.  My great great grandfather was the third born.  I think his father was John? whose father was Farquhar of Faddoch, although I have to admit I am still finding the book difficult and confusing to read due to the fact so many were marriages between cousins.  I figure if someone is a McRae or McRae ancestor it is best to just consider them family and not worry to much about how exactly they are related.
Are you in NZ or Australia?
I hope we can keep in touch and share family info.
Cindy
 :)

Offline cmd6030

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 October 11 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jennifer,
Forgot to answer your question about where the family are buried.
According to the book and other information I have to date most are buried in Far North of the north island of New Zealand.  Although Emily Ruth and her husband Arthur Dobbs are buried in Te Awamutu Cemetry, Waikato.  They moved down to the Waikato when their son (my grandfather) moved down with his family for work reasons. The NZ McRae's originally settled in the far north of the north island and southern part of the south island of NZ.
Cindy  :)

Offline cmd6030

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 October 11 05:05 BST (UK) »
Jennifer, some other information I found in the Macrae to NZ book:-
Emily Ruth McRae (nee Hume or Humm) born 5th June 1854 at Macquarrie Pains Tasmania and was buried at Purewa in 1926.
(Purewa is or was a cemetry in Auckland I think). 
She was the daughter of Margaret Rooke and Henry Hume/Humm of London .
Cindy

Offline Jenmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 October 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
Yes I am Jennifer Rochelle McRae, I am currently living in Rothwell Australia.

Yes Roderick Welsh McRae is my Great great great Uncle So that make as 3/4/5 cousins LOL.

Who is your grandfather??

Yes I have the macrae book but it is so confusing reading ..I know there another two books out there i hear but not sure where?

My 8 year daughter gone big on knowing her family history...

Regards Jennifer 

Offline cmd6030

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 October 11 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,
My grandfather Claude Dobbs died in 2006.  We had always been told we had highlander blood and he had framed pictures in his lounge of Eilean Donan Castle and the 5 Sisters mountains in Kintail Highlands.  Apparently his mother Emily had always been very proud of her highland roots.
I became more interested in family history after he passed away.
There was someone who posted some information to me on this site.  She is in Scotland and is related to our ancestors  hopefully she will get in contact again as she knows the area they came from and has information about family who remained in the Highlands.
Take care and please stay in contact.
Cindy  :)

Offline Jenmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 October 11 09:02 BST (UK) »
My poppa angus Edward(TeD) (passed 2000) was very close to his silibling and had shared some wonderful family history that he been told from his father..
I know we all come from the highland of scotland ...I know that family story of us being from Ireland and our family left in a hurry landng in scotland and we help some poor lord or lad when was in a fight and that how the macrae's castle can about..

I ask dad what other stories my poppa told him ad post on here ,,I try to locate the book that came from..

Yes please keep in touch ..we in new zealand in decemeber i love to meet up for coffee or drink if you near our locate...Jennie