Author Topic: Thomas Nicholson & Ann Brown: COMPLETE  (Read 17817 times)

Offline Nigel B

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Nicholson & Ann Brown: COMPLETE
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 12:36 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more information on Thomas Nicholson and his wife Ann Smith, I know they definitely
had:

A daughter Ann Nicholson born 5th April 1811 and christened 17th April 1811 at Wesleyan Methodist Church, North Shields

A son Thomas Brown Nicholson born 26th Dec 1812 and christened 31st Jan 1812 also at Wesleyan Methodist Church, North Shields. I know Thomas Brown Nicholson occupation was a plaster and painter and moved with his wife and family to Machester between 1841 and  51, perhaps his father was in the same profession ?

Possibly another daughter Elizabeth Brown Nicholson born 1820, Newcastle, mother only listed as Ann so not 100% certain   

I have not been able to find any more children but there probably is 

I have all the information from 1812 onwards, helped a lot from folk on this site  :)

It would be great to find out more on their parents and if there was other children
Budge: Hawick & Anstruther
Ballantyne: Galashiels
Nicholson: Newcastle upon Tyne & Prestwich
Bartlett:  Dorset

Offline Nigel B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Nicholson & Ann Brown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 18:26 GMT (UK) »
I have Thomas Nicholson and Ann Brown, married 1808 St. Nicholas, Northumberland, Newcastle

Looking at Newcastle City web site

http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/RegIndex.html

The online search only starts from 1837, if I send in I should be able to get a 1808 cert and will this give me their parents names ?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 19:54 GMT (UK) »
The online search only starts from 1837, if I send in I should be able to get a 1808 cert and will this give me their parents names ?

Unfortunately not. There were no marriage certificates before 1837, when Civil Registration began. This is why the online search starts from 1837.
The best you can hope for is that someone will do a Parish Records look-up for you, and that the St Nicholas records contain the name of the parents (not always the case I'm afraid).
Sorry not to be much help.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nigel B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 21:01 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately not. There were no marriage certificates before 1837, when Civil Registration began. This is why the online search starts from 1837.
The best you can hope for is that someone will do a Parish Records look-up for you, and that the St Nicholas records contain the name of the parents (not always the case I'm afraid).
Sorry not to be much help.

Jennifer

Thanks for your response :) should I post a request in the Look-up section ?

Also I live in Newcastle, is it possible to access the records at St. Nicholas in person ?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Try looking at the Durham Bishop's Transcripts here http://www.rootschat.com/links/073w/
Select Durham, then Newcastle on Tyne. This takes you to the Newcastle St Nicholas transcripts.
You might find the marriage record there. You have to browse from page to page - they are not searchable by keyword.

Jennifer

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I just checked the Transcripts myself.
On the link I gave you, once you have got to the Newcastle St Nicholas page, enter the number 329 in the box marked 'image' towards the top right of the page, and press the return button.
This takes you to the 1808 marriages, and will be able to see that of Thomas and Ann....but sadly no other details are given.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Nigel,

As you live in Newcastle, you could see the marriage on film.   Jennifer's labours has turned up the " Bishop's Transcrift", which is a copy of the original church marriage record. The transcripts were sent periodically from each parish to Bishop of Durham.  It is possible that original record contains additional info !

Records available in Tyne & Wear Archives, Blandford Square ( Discovery Museum building- phone to book a filmreader..  www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk)

Michael

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Nigel B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I just checked the Transcripts myself.
On the link I gave you, once you have got to the Newcastle St Nicholas page, enter the number 329 in the box marked 'image' towards the top right of the page, and press the return button.
This takes you to the 1808 marriages, and will be able to see that of Thomas and Ann....but sadly no other details are given.

Thank you very much for find that  :) I now will need to try and find where their death was 

Offline Nigel B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Nigel,

As you live in Newcastle, you could see the marriage on film.   Jennifer's labours has turned up the " Bishop's Transcrift", which is a copy of the original church marriage record. The transcripts were sent periodically from each parish to Bishop of Durham.  It is possible that original record contains additional info !

Records available in Tyne & Wear Archives, Blandford Square ( Discovery Museum building- phone to book a filmreader..  www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk)

Michael

This site is so helpful, thank you for the further advice  :) convenient I return to where my ancestors came from !