Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Sheila Elizabeth Crissell/Gibson B 26 Jun 1922, D 16 Feb 1995  (Read 12675 times)

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sheila Elizabeth Crissell/Gibson B 26 Jun 1922, D 16 Feb 1995
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 November 14 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo,

Sheila's mother (Annie Grace Crissell) was born and grew up in Essex.  It is only on her daughters Birth cert that Newcastle appears.  After the birth she remained in Newcastle, met and married Robert Muras Gibson.  Obviously the question of when she "met" him is an issue, but it is one that I am never liable to find and answer as all parties have since passed away.  It was only during my "digging" that this issue came to light (they kept the secret to the grave).
Why was she "sent" to Newcastle in particular I may never know because at that time there were no other  Crissells living there.
Sheila's marriage cert shows Robert  Gibson, probably because she could show a bith cert (issued in 1927 giving Robert as her father).
The question is a rather sensitive one as if Robert is Sheila's natural father then we may have an issues of 1st cousins marrying later in my tree  :-\

Hi Dawn,

Not sure if I want to thank you for your response  ;D 
Thought I had good information from the first 2 Birth Certs.  I do see an handwritten note in the margin of the "crissell" 1922 edition that mentions the 1926 legitimacy Act  (see attached).

I am not sure a call to GRO from here in Canada will work but am willing to give it a try. Do you have a number that I can use?

Thank you both for your assistance

Richard

Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 November 14 17:21 GMT (UK) »
.  Sheila's mother gave her occupation as "nurse" in domestic service in Kelvedon Essex. Why was the birth in Newcastle then? .....Robert Gibson was living in Newcatle ( a sailor by trade). 

I think you have yourself answered your own question.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 November 14 17:30 GMT (UK) »
from the GRO website

+44 (0)300 123 1837 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday. Saturday 9am to 4pm).
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 November 14 17:30 GMT (UK) »

Unless you ring the GRO and specifically ask for the 1922 cert, you will always get the 1927 version

Dawn

This has not been my experience.

If you applied on line using one of the 1922 references then that is what you will have got - was the date of registration given as 1922?

You now need the 1927 certificate, using the 1927 reference. You can get this by applying online as per normal.

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 November 14 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi SelDen,

I have the 1st cert from 1922 under the name of Crissell.  I have ordered the other 1922 one under the name of Gibson.  At this time ( I am using Ancestry)  and I can not see a 1927 edition listed there.  When my one on order arrives I hope it gives Sheila's birth father but I rather think it will show Robert Gibson instead.  If that is the case then I am no further forward. ::)
Did you see the 1927 one ?

I was told that my mother Sheila knew about her birth father but never disclosed any details to anyone.  It is not something that will be discovered now after all these years anyway.

Thanks for your help

Richard

Who has 3 birth certs !!!!!  hard enough finding single never mind triples,
Stay in the  Moment

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 November 14 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Dawn,

Thanks for the Tel #'s and information.  Think it might be worth a call after all.  However it is looking very unlikely that I will find the name to add to my tree.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 November 14 19:04 GMT (UK) »

Why was she "sent" to Newcastle in particular I may never know because at that time there were no other  Crissells living there.
Sheila's marriage cert shows Robert  Gibson, probably because she could show a bith cert (issued in 1927 giving Robert as her father).
The question is a rather sensitive one as if Robert is Sheila's natural father then we may have an issues of 1st cousins marrying later in my tree  :-\

You didn't have to prove the info you gave on a marriage certificate I have seen all sorts of 'fibs' on various certificates :-)

Maybe the Newcastle connection was Robert's family as he seems to be the only link to the area.

As for first cousins marrying, my maternal G Grandparents were first cousins - so far it hasn't caused any noticeable problems :-)
It has been legal in England since  Henry V111 decided he wanted to marry his cousin and changed the law to do so.

Boo

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 November 14 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Www.freebmd.org.uk has the 1927 reference.

You would need a DNA test to remove all doubt but Short of that I think it is clear that Robert Gibson was your grandfather. Why else would your grandparents have gone to the trouble and expense of getting a new birth cert issued under the Legitimacy Act 1926?

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 November 14 19:14 GMT (UK) »
If you follow the wikipedia link I provided earlier you will get to the text of the actual Legitimact Act 1926. Scroll through to the Schedule at the end of the Act to see the process your grandparents would have gone through to get a new cert for your mother.

Your mother's secret is likely to have been that she was born before her parent's marriage. Perhaps the secrecy around this led your mother or other family members to make assumptions about her parentage.