Author Topic: Ansell birth, Sussex  (Read 1554 times)

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ansell birth, Sussex
« on: Saturday 19 April 14 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, I wondered if anyone has access to baptism records in the Lewes area. I'm hoping to identify / confirm the parents of a William Henry J Ansell, born 28 May 1903. Reg district Lewes. I believe his parents are Henry and Emily Ansell, and if correct, they state his birthplace as Cookbridge, Sussex on the 1911 census. But I'd like to try and verify this, they just list their son as 'William' born c 1904.

The William Henry J Ansell I am looking for definitely married an Ivy Spenser in Royston Herts in 1934 and died near Hitchin Herts in 1997. Thanks very much

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Ansell birth, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 April 14 05:42 BST (UK) »
I know I'm stating the obvious but as his marriage is your starting point by getting a copy it should give you his father's name & occupation.
William's birth reg. is down as Q3 1903, Lewes RD. (2b 163) which is someway off of 28/5/1903  :-\
There is a marriage of a Henry Edward Ansell with an Emily Reed on the same page, Q4 1902, Lewes RD (2b 409)
Hopefully someone might have the baptism record you're looking for (it's not on familysearch)

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 April 14 08:20 BST (UK) »
Actually the birth is not too far out if they were a bit late registering it.  Cooksbridge is very close to Lewes.  I must agree with Jane though that without the marriage certificate you may be chasing the wrong man.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 April 14 12:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, possible it was a late registration.  Q3 starts July 1, so 4-5 weeks after the event?
Sillgen, couldn't find Cooksbridge under Lewes RD.  Is it so small it's not mentioned?

Jane

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 April 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
Cooksbridge is a small hamlet north of Lewes on what is now the A275.  It is on the main Eastbourne/Lewes/London railway line and does have a station.  As the crow flies the nearest church will probably be Hamsey or East Chiltington rather than one in Lewes itself.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 April 14 17:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sillgen  :)

Jane

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 April 14 18:27 BST (UK) »
Yes I think to really solve it I will have to order both the marriage certificate and the birth certificate. The bigger picture with this mystery is that I'm searching for about 5 or 6 siblings. A family member (one of them is their father) recalls that his grandparents (ie the parents of these siblings) were called Luther and May Ansell. His fathers marriage certificate also gives Luther as his father. I have identified also the marriage of Luther Ansell and Mabel Fuller. But registration records show no promising possibilities for births of these siblings. Plus the 1911 census shows them with no kids. They do show 2 births in 1912 and 1916 in the right area of Surrey for Ansell /Fuller births but these are of children that our relation never heard of.

At least one of these siblings has been proven to be the son of Henry and Emily Eliza Ansell rather than Luther and May and looking at the 1911 census for Henry and Eliza showing the names of their kids, I have a hunch that these siblings actually all belonged to them and not to Luther and May. The names and ages kind of match the somewhat vague recollections of our relation. The marriage certificate that I do have for one of them (Frederick Luther Ansell) although it gives Luther as father, Emily Eliza Ansell is a witness. Henry Ansell was Luther Ansells older brother. So it seems like it could be a major cousin mix up but I'm just not sure why... Plus of course I could be wrong. What doesn't help is that though from Sussex, Henry and family and Luther and family seem to move around a bit, Kent, Herts, Surrey....

So I think a mass order of marriage and birth certificates is on the cards  :) !!

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 April 14 20:23 BST (UK) »
Luther and Mabel are living in Carshalton at 89 Avenue Rd in the electoral rolls around 1920 - does that fit in with the births you found?  It works for a Gladys and Leonard in the 1920s but Florence and Reginald, who are earlier are registered in Godstone.
Florence is with them in a 1930s electoral list when they are living at Farm Cottage Wrythe Lane Carshalton.  Reginald shows up too in 1938.
Did Luther leave a will?   That might sort things out a bit.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 April 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
I would be fairly convinced that the 1911 for Henry, Emily and kids is all their kids though possibly "Nellie" was born before they married.  There is a birth for Ellen Reed which might fit.  All supposition though.    I see on www.freebmd.org.uk that both Florence and Reginald married in 1940.
What names are you expecting to find for Luther's children?