Author Topic: Matthew SLATER/ Jean KING  (Read 16439 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew SLATER/ Jean KING
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a family notice in the Paisley Herald and Renfrewshire Advertiser 12/4/1856 which refers to the late Matthew Slater, writer Paisley. ( From newspaper archive on FindMyPast). Only able to see snippet view as don't subscribe to FindMyPast. Perhaps some kind soul could oblige.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:55 GMT (UK) »
That is a great find William!

Trying to find anything about him so far has been tricky as you have found Julie.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ausjules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you thank you William   ;D  I also just found a post on roots chat  regarding a M.I lookup for paisley, but am unable to link it - Abbey churchyard john slater w jean Barr and heirs 1820. Unfortunately it is quite late here but I can't wait to research all of this new information in the morning :D
Rusk, hangan, hartley, mccombe, county cavan ireland.  - Knight, hance, surrey  - slater, king, paisley renfrewshire scotland.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Julie

I don't know which directories you have looked at but there are a number of Paisley directories on the National Library of Scotland site for the 1840's and 1850's ( Fowlers) and more for the 1860's.

Matthew Slater the starcher is referred to in the early ones with the address 20 Smith hills and home 3 Hamilton Street. After his death in the 1848 edition John Slater is listed as Starcher at 20 Smith hills with his home at 31 Gauze Street. In 1851 his home is given as 7 Gauze Street. A Miss Slater is listed as a dressmaker at the same address.

I could not find a reference to Matthew the writer in any of these directories.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Julie, some other stuff for the morning....!

You might want to check further on the Elizabeth Slater who showed as daughter of Jane Slater in 1851, born c. 1846 in Paisley. We have her in 1851 and 1861.

I think she may have married a Matthew (I know, another!) GUY https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYQ3-W48 in 1865. They left for the US a couple of years laters. These are some census entries for them in Clinton, Worcester, Massachusetts:

1870 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MDQZ-M1F - I hope that Jane Neilson, aged 56, is not going to blow my theory here!
1880 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MHF3-6C7 - one daughter seems to be called Jane and second born son is Matthew, which could fit very well with Scottish naming pattern if they used it.
1900 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M9BM-RV1
1910 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M22F-VMS
1920 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MF9V-C5C
1930 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQRB-9NV - daughter Jane shows as Jane K (hoping that was King  ::))

Anyhow...best place to start would be by checking that 1865 marriage for Elizabeth Slater to let you confirm her parents' names and see what it says further about father's occupation (if the correct family we are looking at).

At some point too later, the Will & Testament entries on SP may also be worth considering looking at to see what else they can add.

Monica

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to what Monica has found. The birth of their eldest son James Guy was in Paisley and is on family search. The births of their children in Mass. are also on Family Search with images. One of them has a middle name transcribed as Denight. Wonder if that is meant to be Knight? Looking at the image it is difficult to say.

There is also a death for young Matthew at the age of 4 as the result of an accident.

William

Offline Ausjules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both again  :) I found Matthew slater jun. writer - house Hamilton st by googleing it lol  It says: Scottish Post Office Directories > Counties >Renfrewshire >1832-1833-Historical and descriptive sketches of the towns and principal villages in the Upper Ward of Renfrewshire. Page 116. I'm thinking I might trawl through the census records and see if I can find any King's in John St. Lots of new info for me to search through today, very exciting  ;D The jean Jane jennies are confusing me too haha. I have a feeling that William may be jean brown Slater's brother and that may lead to jean/Jane kings father being a william, oops, I am getting ahead of myself    ::)
Rusk, hangan, hartley, mccombe, county cavan ireland.  - Knight, hance, surrey  - slater, king, paisley renfrewshire scotland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

Just some links to help with your research.

The Scottish love first name variants. Some obvious, some less so. Jane/Jean is one of the most commonly varied. This is a great site for first name variants, with a particular bias towards Scottish first names - www.whatsinaname.net Just insert the name Jean in the top left corner, you will see how this name had so many variants.

William has mentioned PO directories.

Post Office Directories for the Renfrewshire area - www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Renfrewshire and www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Greenock  New release of later directories here http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Ascottishdirectories&sort=-publicdate (main link here www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office).

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=506233.0 for further links to Renfrewshire.

Regarding possible brother William, he may not have lived much past the 1841 census entry we think we have for them. Can't see any trace of him after this date. There are a couple of possibilities for a Jean King, father William b. in Paisley area around the right time on https://familysearch.org/search, but really, hard to be more definitive for now isn't without some more info on her.

Monica  :)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

Here is one more for you

1861 census Address 7 Ganze (Gauze?) St

John Slater 70 Retired starcher
Margaret Slater 42 Daughter
Jane B Slater 30 Daughter (seems to be same age as the 1851 census which Monica posted)

Only other possible census entry I can see for any of the above is for Margaret in 1891 recorded as sister in law of Thomas Linn who I think married Margaret's sister Catherine.

William