Author Topic: Easson Family - Stornoway  (Read 2401 times)

Offline fabstrawberry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Easson Family - Stornoway
« on: Saturday 08 November 14 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm 16 and I just started using this website (: I'm really interested in history/family history but it's hard for me to find information because I'm not allowed to pay for ones like ancestry.. so I was hoping some people here could help me out?

My grandfather was Murdo Easson, born around the 1930s in Port of Ness, Stornoway
He married Margaret Colven in August 1957/58 and died in the 1990s, does anyone know anything about his family? Thanks :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Easson Family - Stornoway
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 November 14 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Researching for the periods involved (saw your earlier post as well)  you will need to use Scotlands People as it is the only website with the BMD info you need to enable you to research back to the time of available census info.

SP is not an annual subscription site - you have to buy credits.  You can search the index for free but have to use your credits to view the actual entries

Depending on the type of info and the dates involved will determine whether you can download and view the full cert online

Availabilty here  http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&413

Scottish marriage and death certs give parents names and mothers maiden name so you can use that info to trace backwards   

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 November 14 16:45 GMT (UK) »
There was indeed a Murdo Easson born in 1930, but you will have to order a copy of his birth certificate, as it cannot be viewed online. Similarly for his marriage certificate (he married Margaret R. M. Colven in 1957 (Registration District of Petty, Inverness-shire)
Note that Port of Ness is NOT in Stornoway. It is at the very tip of Lewis and lies in the parish and Registration District of Barvas. Easson, moreover, is not a Lewis name, so it will be interesting for you to track him and find out where his parents were from (or, specifically, where his father was from).

Order both certificates from ScotlandsPeople. These will be 12.00 pounds each, but it would be cheaper for you if you are in or near Edinburgh to visit Register House and pay for a day ticket and view these yourself (and as many other records as you find as you track the family back). You can also order copies of these certificates (if you are in Scotland) from a local registrar of births, marriages and deaths.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 November 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Some Easson's in Wick, maybe a fishing connection?

Skoosh.

Offline fabstrawberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help guys :)