Author Topic: Johnston of Muckross (near Kesh)  (Read 10110 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston of Muckross (near Kesh)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 September 08 09:29 BST (UK) »
I'm not researching any families in Fermanagh. Perhaps in Ireland we use the word 'connection' differently. Uncle was from Fermanagh and we always kept in contact with his relations, including one sister still in Kesh. Unfortunately we seem to be meeting up mostly at funerals these days.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline D.M.

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 January 09 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for my Andersons in Fermanagh and 2 of them married Johnston girls.  John Anderson married Ann Johnston and George Anderson married Mary Ann Johnston. They all left Ireland for Canada by 1844.

So when reading over your information I came across a baptism in my records that you may be interested in.
It is James Johnston born to Francis Johnston and Isabella(no maiden name given). Their residence is given as Muckros. The date of baptism is given as July 15, 1838. Francis is listed as a farmer and the baptism was registered by John Richardson. This was at Turbid Church in Kesh. There is also a John with the same parents baptised August 16, 1840.  Same place. J. Delap registered it. Then there is a Thomas with two question marks baptized August 13, 1843. Residence B???
Hope that this helps.
Doris

Offline Kim Craig

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 July 14 02:57 BST (UK) »
I am also researching Francis Johnston and Isabella Irvine. My line goes back to them through they son James born 1838. Have you done any more research since 2009? I have information that they had4 sons. Their youngest son Thomas took over the farm at muckros after francis died.

Offline Westfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
There are still Johnston's in the area and they are all C of I.
Cashmore, Ward, Durham of Stone, Staffs
Wood (Hanley, Shelton) Bedson (Stoke)
Deacon (Stoke, Reading, Swindon) Freeman/Powis (Stoke, Shropshire, Cheshire)
Leigh (Stoke)