Author Topic: NSW historic marriage certificates with blanks  (Read 31160 times)

Offline John150557

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW historic marriage certificates with blanks
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 17 April 14 02:17 BST (UK) »
ordered the transcription

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 17 April 14 02:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your PM.   When you receive the transcription, please do consider starting a new topic.    I am happy to help  :)

Many cheers,   JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 11 September 14 03:43 BST (UK) »
UPDATE Sept 2014

I prepared this thread back in July 2011, after posting many replies to threads on the Australian Board here at RootsChat.   The thread has been read over 10,100 times as I post this update.

There are various online resources that can help advance the quest to obtain the information that has not ever been reconciled by the NSW BDM to their own limited summary information for registrations of marriages in the decades 1856-1895.   Of course, some of their registrations have been reconciled to the Church registers, and each registration that has had even a part reconciliation does make note of the respective Church register that was inspected.

BUT, basically, if the marriage was registered outside of the Sydney Metro districts, it is very likely to have those elusive blanks.

Here’s some further tips to help overcome those elusive blanks.

1.   Check if the original registers have been photographed.  So Try searching the National Library of Australia and/or the Mitchell Library /NSW State Library , and/or the Society of Australian Genealogists …. Links below
2.   Write a ‘snail mail’ letter to the Church, or at least to the ‘Head Office” for the Church (you know the denomination and the Reverend as those details ARE included in the NSW BDM’s registration).
3.   Don’t assume that an Official Transcription passed down to YOU is actually a FULL transcription, as it is possible to purchase partial transcriptions, so the ‘blanks’ on a partial transcription may be caused by the original purchaser ONLY asking for  PART of the mc to be transcribed.  So, consider obtaining a FULL transcription.
4.   Remember that the Original register is NOT a public document, it is CHURCH property, and so be gentle in your request  of the current Rev’d of that Church.    Be patient, and accept that the current Rev’d ‘s primary duties are for those that are active in that Church NOW.  Family History enquiries are NOT their highest priority, and often are passed to a volunteer member of the Church community.   It is still best to write that snail mail request, and ALWAYS include a copy of the document to allow that volunteer to determine the way to go about looking up their local records.
5.   If the marriage was celebrated according to Church of England rites, then there should be at least two registers to check.  These registers may NOT be held by the local church., as they may have forwarded them to their local Bishop and perhaps are held at the Diocese Admin Offices once these local registers became full.   A link to the Anglicans is below.

I welcome everyone’s contributions, particularly if there’s others with tips to share.

Links:
National Library of Australia  https://www.nla.gov.au/family-history-sources
NSW State Library http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/services/family_history/index.html?HomeLink=Services
Society of Australian Genealogists http://www.sag.org.au/
Anglicans http://www.anglican.org.au/community/Pages/dioceses.aspx (Diocese : Sydney; Canberra Goulburn; Riverina; Bathurst; Newcastle; Armidale; Grafton, noting Albury NSW is within Wangaratta Vic )
Uniting Church http://www.insights.nsw.uca.org.au/church/archives.htm
Presbyterians : Ferguson Memorial Library, 168 Chalmers St, SURRY HILLS  BUT they can provide no additional information for marriages performed by Reverend Fullerton.
Baptists http://www.baptisthistory.org.au/societies/nsw
The Riverina TAFE holds at least the register for St Peters C of E, Broken Hill, and may well hold more as per http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=638774.0 
Familysearch. Org  https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&countryId=1927080
Sydney Diocese Archives http://www.archives.anglican.asn.au/index.php/p2/family_history  (currently preparing for a mass digitisation project with Ancestry.com which will provide even wider public access to the information contained in our baptism, confirmation, banns, marriage and burial registers”)  and JOINT COPY PROJECT info re SAG, NSWSL, NLA….  The microfilms are available at SAG, Mitchell Library and the NLA “You should always check the microfilm collections at the SAG and SLNSW before contacting the Sydney Diocesan Archives".

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline fmlindsay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 10 January 15 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Judith and JM - really useful information.

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 19 January 15 00:56 GMT (UK) »
majm
You have been a great aid to me in the past and I am hoping you will be able to assist me again.
I have just ordered a full transcription of this NSW BDM marriage 4118/1847 V18474118 74B.
Question 1 (2 parts):  What do all the numbers in the reg number mean V18474118 74B. (apart from the V)?  Does the 74B refer to Vol 74 held on microfiche reel at WSRO?
Question 2:  Is it remotely likely that the parents of the bride and groom would be listed?
Jenny
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 19 January 15 01:25 GMT (UK) »
What do all the numbers in the reg number mean V18474118 74B. (apart from the V)?

V18474118 74B

Year = 1847
Entry No. = 4118
Volume No. = 74B

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 19 January 15 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Samuel JONES m. Anne KELLY 5 Apr 1847
Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Marital Status: Single
Parish: Sydney, St Andrew's Scots Church, Presbyterian
#V18474118 74B
#V184735 78

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 19 January 15 01:41 GMT (UK) »
#V18474118 74B
#V184735 78

Thank you Merlin for such a quick response.  Some further questions just so my simple and fuddled brain can understand:
There are two registration numbers.  I have just requested a full transcription of the first mentioned reg no. above.  Should I also be asking for the 2nd? One of them, from my limited understanding of rereading this thread, is going to be the transmitted entry and one the actual register at St Andrew's Scots Church (at the time).

Apologies for these basic questions but I have just got back to family research after a break and realised when I woke up in the middle of the night that this particular marriage registration may provide a small clue ..... and recalled reading this thread some time ago.
Jenny
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 19 January 15 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Is it remotely likely that the parents of the bride and groom would be listed?

No, but usually the names of the witnesses, clergy & their abode.