Author Topic: **COMPLETED** Bertha GLOVER born 1833 Wittersham, Kent arrived Sydney 1837  (Read 44925 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Bertha GLOVER born 1833 Wittersham, Kent arrived Sydney 1837
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Another way to check Bertha's surnames and confirm her place of birth and her age,  (and Stephen King's also)  would be to check the details on any civil registrations for children to Stephen and Bertha King.   I notice there's two:

Jane E King, registered Penrith in 1857 #10189
James King, registered Penrith in 1860 #10974

And of course the ECR baptism of Alfred S King is 1854, Volume 40, line 4055.  (Vol 40 is C of E as per NSW SR http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-4/short-guide-4 )

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Dr Edward Glover Tennant was in 1882 a medico out west, Dubbo region as per Trove

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/30678386 Queanbeyan Age 23 May 1882

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Well there goes an easy assumption. Dr Edward Glover Tennant. Not renting anything. He came up in another post I think?????? :P

As you say getting her hands on the BC's for the King Glover nee Tandy children may open a few doors. The property denham Court was extremely large and would have necessitated a large number of workers. The Mr Tandy may well have been one and it seems may have in some form married Miss Bertha Glover. 8)

I was wondering if it was possible to see if any Baptism's, Marriages or Funerals were sent to NSW registrar when it was called for?? Or are they just some of the missing thousands. Or are still available somewhere?

Cheers Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This at the very least may give 1 other surname to search 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/704978?searchTerm=tandy aboriginal&searchLimits=l-decade=185

Muss

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I am of the view, and I have been of that view for many years, that there are thousands of parish records that the NSW BDM has not indexed.  They did not start to process the ECRs until sometime in the 1880s, ie up to 100 years after some were first recorded.  They have not ever finalised the reconciliation of the civil marriages 1856-1895, to the parish registers, although they started that process in around 1912, ie around 100 years ago.

Several years ago, together with a Church archivist, I located a particular parish register that had been returned to the local parish in the 1930s by the NSW BDM, apparently after all the entries had been transferred to the NSW BDM.  Ummm.... the Archivist and I spent quite a deal of time establishing that NOT ONE of the entries appears on the online NSW BDM index, and nor are they on the "Pioneer/Federation" index/CD etc.  800 events, at a particular C of E church in the City of Sydney, all should be in the ECRs and NONE are.  Together the Archivist and I contacted the NSW BDM and offered to arrange to re-supply the information.   I hope that when the NSW BDM's revised indexes come online that these omissions will be displayed.  

On the other hand, I have at least one mc from the ECRs, a real deal certificate issued to me in the 1980s by the NSW BDM, personal attendance and my own cash too, they didn't accept personal cheques, I can assure you that the online index does NOT have that mc indexed.  It is findable on the fische index.   NSW BDM have my email address, and a scanned copy of that certified certificate, and to date, they have not altered their online index.  I had sent the scanned copy at their request umm.... much earlier in THIS century  ;D.  I did receive an acknowledgement "read receipt" thingy for my email.

Sorry for the side track, but NSW BDM online index does have some flaws.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This at the very least may give 1 other surname to search 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/704978?searchTerm=tandy aboriginal&searchLimits=l-decade=185

Muss

But Muss  ;) that's AFTER the 1853 marriage  ;D  The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser Wednesday 15 August 1855 ... Darlinghurst Gaol,  Davy Tandy ... ummm .... there's a commercial website with the admissions book !

Cheers,  JM

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 09:30 GMT (UK) »
HI

Yes I am aware. I do not know if the surname Davy  can also be Tandy, depending on the accent.  I have heard of using a nickname as a surname. 

On Berth's DC  were there any children list under the name Tandy ?

Muss

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Well, here's the Darlinghurst admission of 1855 ... I think the clerk must have been having issues with his scrawling.

DAY, DAVY, TANDY, THANDY, KANDY ... take your pick  ;D

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 10:20 GMT (UK) »
According to the NSWBDM online index, Amelia Glover who died in 1839 was aged 24.  And from this thread's heading we know that Bertha Glover was born in 1833, so Bertha was still a little girl when her mother died. 
# 1839,  Vol 23A, line 522. 

Perhaps that helps explain why Bertha Coxhead's index ref of 1913 at NSW BDM does not include her mother's given name  (# 12434) ; and also George's re-marriage, he had the young children to be cared for...  It was a Presbyterian marriage (# 1839, Vol 73A, line 537)

I haven't found a Trove cutting to help with further details re Amelia's death.

Cheers,  JM