Author Topic: Help need as to what happened to Elizabeth WELSH  (Read 12217 times)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help need as to what happened to Elizabeth WELSH
« Reply #27 on: Monday 14 April 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth 'wife' of Billy HUGHES d. 01/09/1906 aged 42.
bur. 03/09/1906   Gore Hill Cemetery CE. D 114.

See also http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/77235118?searchTerm="Elizabeth HUGHES"&searchLimits=l-decade=190|||l-year=1906
The Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate (NSW : 1892 – 1954)  Saturday 8 September 1906

Essie 

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 01:47 BST (UK) »
Here's a bio reference to Billy HUGHES and Elizabeth CUTTS

Hughes migrated to Queensland in 1884, aged 22. For the next two years he worked in the bush before arriving in Sydney as a galley-hand on a coastal steamer. He boarded in Moore Park, where he and his landlady’s daughter, Elizabeth Cutts began a de facto marriage. Their daughter Ethel, the first of the couple’s six children, was born in 1889. In 1890 the family moved to Balmain and lived in a weatherboard building in Beattie Street in this waterfront suburb of wharves and working class cottages. In 1891 they opened a mixed shop in their house. Hughes did odd jobs, including umbrella-mending, and Elizabeth Cutts took in washing.
In 1894 Hughes worked in outback New South Wales as an organiser for the Amalgamated Shearers Union. Elizabeth Cutts managed the Balmain shop and raised their two infant daughters. Their son had died in 1892, a year after his birth.

These seem to be the children:
Wife: Elizabeth Cutts (common law marriage, d. 1-Sep-1906, three sons, three daughters)
Daughter: Ethel (b. 1889)
Son: William (b. 1891)
Daughter: Lily (b. 1893)
Daughter: Dolly (b. 1895)
Son: Ernest (b. 1897)
Son: Charles (b. 1899)

Ithink it's already been established that CUTTS is the maiden surname of Anne McLellan, mother of Elizabeth and grandmother of Bertha and Constance.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 03:53 BST (UK) »
This looks like the death reg for Elizabeth CUTTS (HUGHES) with only her mother named as Elizabeth which certainly fits.  Age at death, according to the newspaper notices, was 42 thus born abt 1864.

1906 #8331   
Elizabeth HUGHES, no name given for her father; mother named as Elizabeth, death registered at CHATSWOOD.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 03:29 BST (UK) »
 :)

Here's a thread that I contributed to, re Billy HUGHES  :)  it seems there's several RChatters who are descendants  :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=247620.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 April 14 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I commend a book

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/12401369?q=isbn%3A9781740311366&c=book&sort=holdings+desc&_=1398297771264&versionId=44897774
Billy Hughes: Prime Minister and controversial founding father of the Australian Labor Party.   

Elizabeth CUTTS and her children with Billy Hughes are documented throughout this book.   So to is Mary CAMPBELL and her children with Billy Hughes.  The book is well indexed (listing by given names his :- parents, wives, children, grandchildren, inlaw children, nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts  and cousins). There is an extensive Bibliography and Notes with sources for each chapter. 

The National Library of Australia’s website lists that there are copies of this book listed at 96 public libraries.

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 August 14 07:04 BST (UK) »
JM -  thanks for suggestion re the book Billy Hughes: Prime Minister and controversial ....  an enjoyable read.

Unfortunately it gives no indication as to when Elizabeth Hughes aka Constance Welsh's mother Elizabeth Welsh nee McLellan passed away.   

Constance/Elizabeth, sister Bertha Ann (my husbands ggm) passed away on 03 Oct 1939 and death certificate does not show her mother's name and for father, only '- William'.  Bertha was born in Sydney about 6 weeks after her father, William Welsh, died on 18 June 1867

The mystery is why Bertha, (and it seems too her sister, possibly mother), went to Victoria where she married Arnold (Walter) Johnston at Fitzroy in 1886; their first child born there the next year.  The family moved to Sydney by at least 1892 as a son Robert death is registered in NSW #1077.

Its a very interesting tale to unravel and look forward to hearing others comments
Bonnie

Offline avance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 4:59 AM, "Pamela Samuels"  wrote:
Has anyone established why Constance Welsh changed her name to Elizabeth Cutts and if infact that is correct.
This is my first time on this forum and I am not sure if I have correctly send this message.
Pamela.

Offline mrsknuckles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 20 July 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
I'm looking into Constance & Bertha..... Bertha was my Great Grandmother (I have a beautiful photo of her & Her husband Walter.  Any updated information from anyone would be fantastic.

Is Constance supposedly William Hughes 'common law' wife?  Does anyone have any more information.
thanks kindly.
Joanne

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 31 July 17 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne,
Welcome to RootsChat.
Bertha was my husband's g.grandmother.
Bertha & Arnold (Walter) son, Robert Edward, known as 'Patch', husband's grandfather.
We have a lovely family photo taken in late 1915 of the family which we are happy to share.
Have you seen on TROVE the photo of Bertha & Walter which appeared in The Labor Daily 25 Mar 1936 page 5?

With regards to Constance. We recently attended a get together of my husband's aunts and cousins and the 'family tale' was Constance, who was known as Elizabeth, was Billy Hughes' common law wife.
Bonnie