Author Topic: Douglas and Rutherford families  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Douglas and Rutherford families
« on: Saturday 07 June 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I'm trying to find out more information and also to find people related to these family lines
My 3 times great grandmother was Isabella Rutherford born 1794 Edinburgh and died 1818 after giving birth to child number 2 a daughter named Jane/Jean
Isabella married Clement porter at St Cuthbert, Edinburgh
They had an older son Clement Porter my branch he was sent to Australia as a convict in 1838
Isabella Rutherford parents were a Margaret Douglas baptised 1764 and William Rutherford baptised 1770
Margaret Douglases parents were a Roderick Douglas baptised 1732 and Marion (Margaret) Blaikie (Blarkie) 1747
Marion (Margaret) father was an Alexander Blarkie, Blaikie
I have seen a Roderick douglas the son of Robert Douglas and Helen Rue andthey married 27.6.1727 Garvock but I'm still unsure if these are right?
Roderick is not a common name to name your son so they may be correct
plus the surname Rue is interesting
is the surname Rue scottish?
Can someone help
AvonGirl

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas and Rutherford families
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 June 14 12:44 BST (UK) »
I donīt know whether the surname Rue is Scottish or not but you will find a couple of hundred of them on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline vicki aberg

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Henry Porter who died 1848 was my GGG  Grandfather  my GGG Grandmother Isabella Rutherford  died in 1819 soon after the birth of their second child Jean Their first child Clement was born in 1817 and was sent to Australia in 1838 He lived in Old Assembly Close off the Royal Mile his crime was that he stole a purse from a 66 year old widow Jane ? in a salesroom on Princess Street Edinburgh he was picked up at 10 Rose Street he married Mary Jane Meehan 29Th March 1849 Clement went on to become a member of The Border Police He returned to Scotland just before his death and put up a headstone on his Father and second wife Grave Margret   Junor  grave on the grave stone he gave his name as Henry because if it had been found out he returned to Scotland he would have been hanged as he only had a ticket of leave not a Pardon he put on the gravestone "We parted in sorrow may we met in joy" I have heaps more if I can help anyone  Have I any rellies out there?

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 15 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki Aberg

I know all about the Australian part of the family.
I am concentrating on the Scottish part of the family.
Henry I found born in England not Scotland in 1794 even though on the 1841 census has Henry being Born 1800.

When Henry Married Isabella Rutherford he was living at 34 Fountainbrigde in Edinburgh.
A Clement Porter all the way back I was told lived at 34 Fountainbrigde Edinburgh all the way back in 1733 a wine merchant.
In his marriage to Jane Ratcliffe in 1733 Clement was a servant and I wonder how he became a wine merchant?
Any how still trying to link our Henry to them I actually think our Henry's parents or grandparents may be Thomas Porter and Jean Charles.
I once was intouch with you ages ago about the Porter side.
Also found more on the Meehan's they were not from Inver parish I have found.
I sent off for the death of Patrick Meehan in 1890 the son of John and Bridget.
Once I read the death this is not our Patrick father of Mary Jane, this Patrick was only 45 years old at death whereas our Patrick would have been 100.
On my Mary Jane's certificate has Londonderry on her death and Marriage to second one.
So I have found our Patrick and his father dying in the same year.
Later on I will apply this year, out Meehan's were the ones at Drayton Downs yep queensland.
The names on her first marriage match with this family and I think the Inver one may have mistakes.
As does the Londonderry one does not list Rosa Gallagher as her mum but a Jane?
I'm thinking our Mary Jane was from a later marriage between A Patrick senior his wife was Mary
B Patrick junior
C The 25 year old son Patrick Mehan of B.
Mary Jane was 7 years old when they arrived in 1842 so any of these Patrick'scould be her father plus the names Mary Jane and Clement named their children match her siblings from Ireland.
Still haven't finished yet unraveling the mess our family made.

AvonGirl