Author Topic: Old Cemetery on High St. Prestonpans  (Read 11628 times)

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Cemetery on High St. Prestonpans
« on: Saturday 22 December 07 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for someone who has any information about the old cemetery on High
street in prestonpans.   I have some distant relatives who were buried in the East Cemetery but not sure if  that is the name  it is called now and was told the one on High Street was old as my G.G.G. Grandfather James Syme died in 1819 and was buried in the East Cemetery.

Thank You
Mcleod/syme

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Church in Preston village
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 December 07 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Difficult to give a definitive answer without a date ;) !  Post-1855 death index and entries (up to 1956) can be viewed at:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

If it is pre-1855, there were no certificates as such, only entries in the OPR.  The burials have not been indexed on ScotlandsPeople.

Looking at the coverage in the registers on the GROS website, only deaths 1799-1854 for Prestonpans appear to have been entered before 1855.  The other alternative is the record of mortcloth payments.  I think you would need to view the Kirk Sessions or the Kirk accounts for these if they exist. 

Have you checked out the wills on the ScotlandsPeople site - two Syme wills available in the right area (at £5 each) Christian Syme of Northfield died 2 Aug 1887 and Commander George Syme RN of Northfield died 25 Feb 1886.  His will is nine pages long.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 December 07 22:25 GMT (UK) »
And a James Syme of Northfield who died 1820 or so?  17 pages  :o

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 December 07 12:46 GMT (UK) »
My G.G.Grandmother Catharine Syme Mcleod died June 15 1853 , this info was typed on a piece of paper I received after my Aunt who had visited Northfield and this small cemetery died.

I have had no luck discovering were she found this information and figured it must have been at this cemetery. 

Thanks for the info on GROS I will give this a try.  I do have the wills and testaments from Scotlandspeople.  I am still hoping someone in the area can give me a name of someone I can contact  about the East cemetery as I don't know all the names of the Symes who are buried there.

Thanks

Mcleod/syme 

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Completed- Old Cemetery on High St. Prestonpans
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 July 14 15:35 BST (UK) »
I am looking for someone who has any information about the old cemetery on High
street in prestonpans.   I have some distant relatives who were buried in the East Cemetery but not sure if  that is the name  it is called now and was told the one on High Street was old as my G.G.G. Grandfather James Syme died in 1819 and was buried in the East Cemetery.

Thank You
Mcleod/syme

Offline slowmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Old Cemetery on High St. Prestonpans
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 August 14 23:05 BST (UK) »
I am not sure why the old cemetery on the High Street would be referred to as the East Cemetery as it is the furthest West of the cemetery's in Prestopans. On the dates you are looking at I would think the cemetery at the Parish Church is the furthest east. In addition to this I have also seen reference to graves in this cemetery given as "14 paces from East Wall" for example. So it could be your relative is buried at the Parish Church.

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 August 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

I had trouble trying to find people who had heard of the East Cemetery and was told the oldest one was on High Street. My Aunt said she went to the old Parish church and there was a vault right behind the church with a very large stone with nine names.  She did not tell us the nine names but they were Symes as they are our relatives, this was around 1947.  I did have reply from one person who went to the cemetery but said it was now a park and the stones were against a wall but she could not read any names.  Do you know if the Parish Church is still standing?

Thank You
Mcleodsyme

Offline slowmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 August 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes the Parish Church is still standing and still in use.

Stuart

Offline joydmaine11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 July 16 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am going to Scotland and wanted to find the Prestonpans Cemetery in Prestonpans East Lothian, Scotland.  Does anyone have an address or know where it is located in Prestonpans? I can't seem to find it on the map and when I google search it. It just shows Cemetery Road, but where?
And how is the best way of getting there from Edinburgh?

Looking for the plot of Elizabeth Fargie Hooker, born 1900-1961

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks - Joy