Author Topic: McCann's of "Eastmeath"  (Read 10204 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McCann's of Meath
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 12 09:02 BST (UK) »
unfortunately you need a more detailed location to search for such early records - ideally the name of the town,townland or parish.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCann's of "Eastmeath"
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 12:09 BST (UK) »
Eastmeath as a placename is little used nowadays except for elections when Co Meath becomes the onstituency of Eastmeath.   The 1821 census for the area shows a James McCann (26) and his wife Catherine (25) and daughter Mary (2) living in the mill house at Rathnally where he is described as "Millers Clerk".  The mill was owned by the Thompson family, the local landowners who lived in Rahnally House and the lessee at the time was John McCann who also had a wife named Catherine .  John McCann lived nearby on a farm in Kilcooly where they had 10 children, one named John but none named Margaret.  As far as I know James the miller's clerk and John the miller and farmer were not related.  Lots of McCanns in Eastmeath.  Best of luck but finding a place of brth is essential.