Author Topic: identifying unknown Edwardian wedding photograph  (Read 2125 times)

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
identifying unknown Edwardian wedding photograph
« on: Saturday 26 July 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
My father passed on a wedding photo he thought was of his Aunt Lillie (Hanley) -born Pocklington in ER . She married a Charles Hoggard ( born Wilberfoss) in Pocklington 1908 Both bride and groom were 25 . The couple actually migrated to Australia in 1912 .
 In trying to confirm the photo  I obtained the marriage certificate and found that my grandfather -Alfred Hanley-Lillies elder brother - has signed as a witness --as had his sister.
 Neither he or his sister appears on the photo. I could not identify anyone on the photo--nor can any of my relatives .I then found from the Pocklington historical society a photo of the actual vicar  (George Herbert Stock ) and he does not look anythink like the vicar on the photo . So-although some things fitted the facts seem to  have ruled out is being Lillie Hanley/Charles Hoggard's wedding in 1908.
Not one to give up easily --had the photo dated professional --1908-1913 (most likely 1909-1912) . Also, suspecting it may have been one of my Grandfathers cousins  I systematically went through all (17off) their weddings but could not find a likely match based on age of bride and groom and wedding between 1908 and 1913 .
If I could identify just one person on the photo it would be a start . The best thing I can think of is to identify the vicar on the photo --but this seems an extremely long shot .
My ancestors were essentially all around the Pocklington area in that time-although there were cousins in Lincolnshire  .
An impossible task I feel but any ideas ?? Attached is group wedding photo and photo of real Vicar who officiated ( G W Stock)
Philip Hanley

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: identifying unknown Edwardian wedding photograph
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 July 14 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry I can't help with identifying anyone in the photo, but maybe if you send a copy to whatever is the local Pocklington newspaper (maybe the Yorkshire Post but there could be other options) it might reach a different audience.

Good luck
Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 July 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil....Unfortunately friends as well as families also swapped photos so you may have to consider the possibility of it not having a Family connection  :-\ Changing the Subject title to include both family surnames might bring a response from people google the surnames...that wil bring them to this site.
Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry I can't help with identifying anyone in the photo, but maybe if you send a copy to whatever is the local Pocklington newspaper (maybe the Yorkshire Post but there could be other options) it might reach a different audience.

Good luck
Bee
 :)
[Thanks Bee -good suggestion . Trouble is it is unlikely wedding was in Pocklington as the vicar in photo does not match vicar photos on Pocklington historic society . Photo has been on Pocklington historic society for over a year --without reply . Think my best bet is identifying vicar -may have to reword title
Phil Hanley

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 July 14 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil....Unfortunately friends as well as families also swapped photos so you may have to consider the possibility of it not having a Family connection  :-\ Changing the Subject title to include both family surnames might bring a response from people google the surnames...that wil bring them to this site.
Carol
[/Thanks Carol --I had thought it might not have a family connection. It is a wonderful photo of Edwardian ladies hats and would be rather a pity not to put names to the people .
Did a lot of research of the Hoggards of Wilberfoss. A large family -mainly male -and at the beginning the ages of the groom and those of the men surrounding him ( who I would say are likely brothers) fitted into the family tree. Other observations of the photo  did not fit -and with absence of my granddad  and the vicar on photo not being GH Stock I have basically concluded the photo is not of Hoggards or Hanleys.-(-unless the pur thihoto was of just the grooms family-and the vicar on the photo was indeed GH Stock )
My best way for identifying one  person on photo is the vicar -so may have to reword subject title --"Identify Edwardian East Riding Yorkshire Vicar?  Still might be worth later changing title to suggestion Regards Phil Hanley]