Author Topic: Birth Certificate Query????  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Certificate Query????
« on: Tuesday 21 October 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has ever come across a birth certificate where it states a 'declaration' note on it in column seven, for example:

"as per declaration dated 25th september 1939"

Has anyone come across this before and can this declaration can be found? 

Incidentally, for this individual, I could not find a birth in all of the United Kingdom, nor could I find a marriage in the United Kingdom for the parents.  The rest of the younger siblings were all born in Gloucestershire, this individual is the oldest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Borderslass   :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificate Query????
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has ever come across a birth certificate where it states a 'declaration' note on it in column seven, for example:

"as per declaration dated 25th september 1939"

Has anyone come across this before and can this declaration can be found? 

Incidentally, for this individual, I could not find a birth in all of the United Kingdom, nor could I find a marriage in the United Kingdom for the parents.  The rest of the younger siblings were all born in Gloucestershire, this individual is the oldest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Does this relate to a very late registration
 of birth?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
A Statutory Declaration is needed when changes are made to a birth certificate.

Maybe the child was born to a single mum, and the father's details added later after they married?

See (as an example) http://www.coventry.gov.uk/info/320/birth-certificate_amendments/514/birth_certificate_amendments/2
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  Is there a way to find out the details of a declaration on a certificate?  Would there be additional documentation that could be obtained?

On the certificate that I'm wondering about it says:

Marian Prentice, mother, 27 Burford Road, Evesham, as per declaration

What does this mean as there doesn't seem to be an amendment on the certificate?  The birth took place on the 21st of August and the birth was registered on the 26th of September 1939.

Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Who registered the birth?  I presume it wasn't one of the 'usual' people and they were declaring Marion was the mother, I'm sure that if the parents aren't married and the father wishes to go on the birth certificate he can do a declaration for the mother to bring with her to register the birth

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Since 1874 a putative father has to be present at the registration, give his permission to be added as the father, and actually sign!

A declaration simply wouldn't be sufficient!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Borders lass is also asking if there is a record of the "declaration", a stat. dec. is a verbal statement made under oath  (or affirmation), the note   per declaration   is often the only record.

mike

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 21:35 GMT (UK) »
From the UK government page

Unmarried parents

The details of both parents can be included on the birth certificate if they do one of the following:
sign the birth register together
one parent completes a statutory declaration of parentage form and the other takes the signed form to register the birth
one parent goes to register the birth with a document from the court (for example, a court order) giving the father parental responsibility

This declaration must be made before a justice of the peace, magistrate, commissioner for oaths, practising solicitor, notary public, licensed conveyancer, authorised advocate or authorised litigator, by one parent only.

It's only used when they physically can't be present - ie medical reasons, armed forces abroad or prison

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
From the UK government page

Unmarried parents

The details of both parents can be included on the birth certificate if they do one of the following:
sign the birth register together
one parent completes a statutory declaration of parentage form and the other takes the signed form to register the birth
one parent goes to register the birth with a document from the court (for example, a court order) giving the father parental responsibility

This declaration must be made before a justice of the peace, magistrate, commissioner for oaths, practising solicitor, notary public, licensed conveyancer, authorised advocate or authorised litigator, by one parent only.

It's only used when they physically can't be present - ie medical reasons, armed forces abroad or prison