Author Topic: Smith Family  (Read 1936 times)

Offline bighaich59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smith Family
« on: Sunday 17 October 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Looking for any info on Samuel Smith B. 22/8/1855 ' Glenlogan Cottages, Sorn.He married my GG Aunt Catherine Mahon On 19/5/1879 In Glasgow....His parents were James Smith & Isabella McMillan who had at least 6 Children.Help would be appreciated,Thankyou.

Harry. :D
Machon, Mahon, McMahon, McGraw, Mulgrew, Devlin,Flood, Gallacher,Smith,Collins, Queen, Diamond, Donnelly, Brady, Davidson, Kerr, Barles, Hume, McLintock, Carroll, Leslie, & Weir. Areas covered are Scotland, Ireland, northumberland.

Offline zarrafak

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Smith Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 14 00:15 BST (UK) »

Hi,
I believe the Samuel Smith in question is the elder brother of my great grandfather, Richard Smith, (father James Smith, mother Isabella Smith, nee McMillan) born 1860 in Glenlogan Cottages. They later (cc 1870?) moved to Foremen's Row, Seaton Delaval near Whitley Bay, and then to Carmyle (Ken Row cottages, sometime before the 1881 Census?), and later to Tollcross. I can only trace  4 children: Samuel, Richard, David & George in descending age order.
 Apart from the marriage info you provided, I have no other info on Samuel Smith
I can only trace 2 possible candidates from the 1841 census for my GG grandfather James Smith, born around 1830 in 'Dumbarton'. One was in Cardross Parish (father Samuel, born Ireland about 1789) and one in Dalmuir (father Patrick born Ireland about 1791). I'm leaning towards the former as fits well with the customary naming of first children after grandparents. I'm a newcomer to this as I believed my patrilineal Smiths would be impossible to trace.I hope this is of help to you and any relevant information you have would be appreciated.

Offline bighaich59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Smith Family
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 September 14 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Harry Machon, Catherine Mahon/Smith was my GG Aunt, who married Samuel in 1879.
Have seen Catherine & Samuel in Northumberland, but one of Catherine being born 1857 in Tollcross, she was born in Ireland. I got back as far as James & Isabella but not looked any farther back as yet. If you wish we could exchange info, I live In Glasgow, Scotland, where do you reside.??? James & Isabella had at least 8 children. My email address is...(*) if you wish to contact me here.thanx for replying to me.

Harry

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Machon, Mahon, McMahon, McGraw, Mulgrew, Devlin,Flood, Gallacher,Smith,Collins, Queen, Diamond, Donnelly, Brady, Davidson, Kerr, Barles, Hume, McLintock, Carroll, Leslie, & Weir. Areas covered are Scotland, Ireland, northumberland.