Author Topic: Hugh MITCHELL m. Jean DUNN New Cumnock?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Georgia Mitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur C. Kennett.
    • View Profile
Hugh MITCHELL m. Jean DUNN New Cumnock?
« on: Friday 28 March 14 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Evening all  :)

Going through my Mitchell tree tonight, and am stuck on these two people.

I know nothing about either of them other than their names.
Their son, John Mitchell, was born in 1802 in New Cumnock and he inherited (I believe) a farm called Lochingerroch/Lochingarroch. I have the will of John Mitchell (well, the Scotland's People transcription of it) and it gives the farm name.

For Hugh Mitchell, I happened to find a tax return for the years 1797-98 for a horse tax where he owed/paid 2 shillings. The place name beside his own name is given as Lochingerroch.

Hugh and Jean had other children:

Helen b. c. 1798
Margaret b. c. 1800
Jean b. c. 1805
Agnes b. c. 1812

I think there is one other male child, but not 100% certain.

The son John married a Jane/Jean McCormick (b. 1822) and they had 12 children. John died in 1886.

If you can help me at all, I would be well chuffed!

Thanks  ;D

Georgie
McLeod, Mitchell, McCormick, Dunn, Steele.

For a friend: Armstrong, Turner, Cooper, White (New Zealand and Victoria, Australia)

Offline Georgia Mitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur C. Kennett.
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh MITCHELL m. Jean DUNN New Cumnock?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
Evening all,

Found the will for Hugh on Scotland's People. Hugh apparently died in 1835 (4th September?, not sure what this date is for, still going through the will).

His will makes mention of John (son) as the executor of the will.
He left £150 to his wife, Jean
£100 to his daughter Agnes 'upon attaining age of majority or being married' - is being 22/23 not full age?
£100 to elder daughter, Helen, and her husband William FINDLAY.
£50 to Helen's children, to be divided between them - makes no mention of how many children.

Haven't read through the entire will properly yet, but with a quick read, it doesn't look like any other children are mentioned, nor any other Mitchell's (siblings for example).

Also, found Jean and son John on the 1841 Census, which gives Jean's year of birth as being around 1781. I believe she died not long afterwards as she does not appear on the 1851 census.

A quick look again on SP for possible parents of Hugh throws up these results: (all children named Hugh, all births are in Ayrshire somewhere)

Parents: Male/Female Maiden Name

John / Helen Howatson 13/7/1755 New Cumnock
Hugh / Sarah McIllwraith 13/2/1758 New Cumnock
Samuel / ? 19/5/1760 Stevenston
James / Ann Ranken 16/11/1765 New Cumnock
Charles / Katharine Laurie 26/7/1769 Ayr
James / Ann Ranken 20/4/1770 New Cumnock
Alexander / Jean Gibb 11/5/1770 Auckinleck
David / Ann Morton 27/5/1782 Dalry

Maybe something from here will cause a light bulb for someone.  :D

For a friend: Armstrong, Turner, Cooper, White (New Zealand and Victoria, Australia)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 March 14 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've had a look at both 1841 and 1851 Censuses for the family.
John's wife does not appear in 1841. Was he married twice?

I've no relationship (that I know  :o) to the family but as an Ayrshire lass your post interested me.
You will be aware of the Scots naming tradition for children (not always followed). James Mitchell and Ann Ranken fit the profile by place and date as potential parents of John but he used neither forename for his children  :-\. Of course it could be them, and then again maybe his birth was never recorded in OPR's.

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 March 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
Found another John Mitchell birth - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYQZ-PX2
Parents Hugh Mitchell and Sarah Mitchell (maybe not her maiden name :-\ ) at New Cumnock christened 26th Aug 1772.

Looby :)

Offline Georgia Mitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur C. Kennett.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 March 14 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby (thanks for the responses)

Just a quick reply, as am heading out the door shortly.

Yes, I did think it strange that he wouldn't use either of his parents names, if indeed James and Ann were his parents.

John's eldest child was born in 1842 (he started late!!), so I'm thinking he married sometime not long after the census was taken. Can't find a marriage date for him, though. His wife was Jane McCormick. I have nothing else on her other than she was born c. 1822.

John's will also doesn't mention any children from previous marriages, so perhaps he was married earlier on, but had no children, or none he wanted to 'claim'. Otherwise, he just hopped in to the marriage thing a little later than normal.

Would love to visit Scotland one day. Maybe later this year. I'm absolutely fascinated by the history there!

Right, running away now.
Cheery!
Georgie