Author Topic: Walklin/Walkling Family - Henley-on-Thames  (Read 28122 times)

Offline Maple9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walklin/Walkling Family - Henley-on-Thames
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I found this on M. Wakelin profile

Added by kcarmichael43 on 19 Jan 2009

The name MAHER-SHALAL-HASH-BAZ is the longest given name in the bible.  It is a name that is derived from the book of Isaiah 8:1-3 and is hebrew for "To speed to the spoil, he hasteneth the prey"  The name is usually spelt with hyphens.

Still looking for more info

Offline dwak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maple9,

I notice at this point (below), Wakelin seems to derive from Wakland. I wonder what inspired the change and if this was true for all the Wakelins at this point. I have noted earlier references to Wakelins on the net. some slightly earlier than 1066.

dwak

Great Great Grandparents on the Wakelin side: (1 child)
James Wakland
            Born May 3, 1658 Great Hasaley, Oxfordshire
            Died: 1716
Ann (no other info)

This family tree is quite large.  The children are all listed and the mothers side of the family is also recorded.

Hope this helps

Offline Maple9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
dwak:

I dont know if Wakland relates to all Wakelins.
Our part of the Wakelin tree goes from Benjamin Franklin, Father James 1844 -1925 Grandfather James 1810.  I haven't been able to find anything prior to that.  English Census started 1840. 

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 February 10 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am searching for Waklens in Lewknor, and just found this thread. I'm curious about these people:

>Great Grandparents on the Wakelin side: (Married 1719) (9 children)
>John Wakelin
            Born: Oct 17, 1696 Lewknor, Oxfordshire
            Died: no info
>Mary Bayley
            Born: Adwell, Oxfordshire
            Died: 1738

I am following the tree for John and Mary's daughter Anna Maria, and I cannot find the marriage of John and Mary. I have looked in the parish transciptions for Adwell and Lewknor and cannot find Mary's birth or the marriage entry. I'm curious about how Mary's last name was determined, and if anyone has seen this marriage that took place in 1719. Their first child was born in Dec 1719.

Thanks for the help!
-Claire
Collins, Turner, Moyses, Curtis, Collcutt, Okey, Baker, Meadows, Peach, Denchfield, Purchas

Offline Bish

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 July 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
River girl. Yes I know this family and have  two photos of William & Frances. Are you still on line.
I am 5 generations from them so I think that makes William my Great Great Great Grandfather.

Offline needthesun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 March 11 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Maple9:
My grandfather Charles Newton Wakelin (born Sept 15, 1882West Hill Henley) was one of Benjamin's brothers I believe.  I got info from my dad (born Raymond Charles Wakelin 1908 Toronto, Canada).  My dad said there were 5 boys (Alfred, William, Charles, Benjamin, George) and 8 girls, 4 of whom came to Canada. He knew those girls names and who they married etc.  I have some of that info. I'm pretty sure that its the same family because my dad said that he knew his grandfather James and his grandma Eliza when they came to Canada late in life.  And I just found out from your post that they died in Toronto in 1927 - didn't know that.
Would love to keep in touch and fill in some blanks and questions I have.  We have 7 children ourselves and some of them are interested in the Wakelin side and two of them are going to England this summer on vacation and are wanting to see Henley-on-Thames.  In 1903 Charles married a girl (Kate Clements) who was born in the Jolly Waterman in Henley-on-Thames in 1879.
Would love to touch base with you and any one else that has information before that time.  I was always told that Sir Issac Newton's mother was a Wakelin - does anybody have info on that? 

Although I was born and raised in Toronto, I have lived in Saskatchewan for over 40 years. 

I'm just new to this search so any info would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline Maple9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 March 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear Needthesun:

Yes, it looks like we are related.  I would like to keep in touch.  You might want to check out my family tree.  It is Goodbody / Wakelin Family Tree.  The Wakelin men were carpenters.  Archibald George Wakelin became a Reverend Canon in the Anglican Church of Canada.  Do you have a family tree?

Offline needthesun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 20 March 11 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Wow, this is great!!!! Thanks for replying so soon!  I just started my search so am so happy you responded.

All I have is from my dad - I 'interviewed' him and he talked and I wrote down everything he said.  He had a memory like a steel trap!  However, I'm a little confused, - are Benjamin Franklin Wakelin and Archibald George Wakelin, brothers?  ... or father and son??? Benjamin also had a son George, so I am curious to know how you are related to who and where you live now?  I will certainly look up your family tree, so that will probably solve that.  And yes, the Wakelin men were all carpenters according to the info I have too!!!!

Also, today, I just talked to my long lost cousin John Wakelin who just moved to BC from Ottawa - and he has lots of info and family tree - he said he will copy it all and send it to me by mail.  I can hardly wait!!

This is exciting.  So happy I found you!!  I want to know about you and your family - how old you are, where you were born etc etc etc.  But there is not much space here and it is very public.  I can give you my email address if you would rather!  Talk soon?  Thanks again!!

T

Offline Maple9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 20 March 11 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear Needthesun:

I am on ancestry.ca and it would be easier to find the info that way rather than me typing it and sending it to you.

I am from the Benjamin Franklin line.

Benjamin Franklin (1884 -1972) married Rose Chamberlain (1881 - 1968)
They were married in Lethbridge 1910
Their sons:
   Benjamin Frank (1911 -1961)
   Ralph Ernest (1913 -1960)
   James William (1914 - 1990)
   Daniel George (1918 - ) everyone called him George
Their daughter:
   Ellen Rose was born in Toronto (1921 - 1983)

My mother was Ellen Rose.