Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM family in Tuam-Galway-Ireland  (Read 45005 times)

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BIRMINGHAM family in Tuam-Galway-Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 July 09 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes please! -I am most interested! Are you saying that The Birminghams derived from Birmingham City in England?
Thank you

Offline galwayreader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 July 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
Yes. Hello I hope that I can help a little.
Here goes
The name Birmingham seems to have come from England. The first mention of it is Beomra Birm is derived from Beorma (or Beornmund) — Beorma was probably a local Saxon tribal leader, 'ing' is derived from ingas meaning 'tribe of' or 'people of', and 'ham' is short for hamlet or "heim", village or homestead. Therefore 'Birmingham' roughly means "The home of the tribe or people of Beorma.
The Norman invasion of England ment that a lord was given the area around Birmingham and this name became the family name eg. Richard De Birmingham.
The first recorded Birmingham in Ireland was Piers De Birmingham. In Irish the name Birmingham is MacFheorais or son of Piers. The Birmingham's were granted lands in Louth, Kildare and Galway.
In Galway their strongholds were in Athenry and Dunmore where the remains of their castles still can be seen. This is the branch that I come from. The earliest mention of a Birmingham in Tuam is a bishop in the 1300's. From 1300 to 1800 the Birmingham family were quite powerful and owned lands in north Galway. One of the most famous was John Birmingham who discovered a crater on the moon which he named in honour of the family. They also had a vast estate in the east indies.
After this the family lost its power but a few Birmingham families are still in the area and are all spelled with an i.
I hope that this will help a little.

Offline galwayreader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 August 09 22:55 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say that there is an Arglora in Tuam just outside the town.

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 August 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
Do you know anything abt the place or know where i could find such information out about it?
Thank you again

Offline galwayreader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
It is just outside Tuam but is in the parish. You can check it up on google maps. It is a farming area. Have you any more details about the people that you are researching and I will see what I can find? I am a Birmingham but my family originally came from Dunmore although it is probably the same branch of the family.

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Again!
The only Information that i have on the people i am researching are the details i have already posted on this thread!
I know that my Great Grandmother  ''Mary Birmingham'' was born in Tuam-Galway. Her Mother was Bridget Corles/Corless and her Father Was Peter Birmingham. The Family emmigrated to England in the late 1800's and settled there in a place called Farnworth In Lancashire.
I am trying to trace the next Generation back from Bridget & Peter but keep coming up against brick walls (Very Large Ones at that)! I have not long been researching this line.
Any help or Info would be very much appreciated, also, you never know-there is a possibility that you could be connected along the lines to my Birmingham lineage?

Offline galwayreader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 August 09 22:15 BST (UK) »
If you try the 1911 online census of ireland it lists a Julia Corless living in ahgloragh Levelly Co. Galway. This is the same aglora/argloragh as it is on the Tuam/Levally border. Could this person be a relative of your Bridget Corless? You can check it out online yourself. No Birminghams came up on the search so they may have been the last family in the townland. A few Birminghams come up in Tuam but it is difficult to link them without church records which i might be able to look into.
If nothing else the online census is a bit of fun to look at.
I'll pass anything else i find on. This has given me a bit of motivation to get at my own family tree again.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 10:41 BST (UK) »
You could try contacting the Athenry Heritage Centre - http://www.athenryheritagecentre.com/contact.htm.

I read about a Bermingham family there when I visited Galway recently.

e.mail  info[at]athenryheritagecentre.com

CSP Manager: Alan Burgess

Address:
Athenry Arts & Heritage Centre
The Square
Athenry
Co. Galway

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [at] with @

Offline galwayreader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 14 June 10 23:44 BST (UK) »
Dear HODGKISS77
How have you got on with your search-any luck?