Author Topic: Can you help me find Samuel Edwards?  (Read 7617 times)

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Can you help me find Samuel Edwards?
« on: Sunday 08 November 09 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have come to a dead end with Samuel, I have him born in 1857, registered as Samuel Thomas Edwards in Montgomeryshire, living with his parents and siblings in Worthen (where the family have lived since around 1830ish) on the 1871 census - (apparently the Worthen part of 1861 census was lost), I also have him on the 1881 census still in Worthen with his father and siblings, but can get no further, I am sure that he is there staring at me, but I can't find him!!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Sam
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help me find Samuel Edwards?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 November 09 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I have started looking for his brother Thomas born 2 years later and in 1901 census I have two Thomas Edwards' one in Wales and one in England; one born abt 1857 and one born abt 1859, what do you think is the likely hood of Samuel going by his second name Thomas?
Many thanks
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 09 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sam,

Free BMD has this marriage:

September quarter 1884 Forden vol 11b pg 269 -possible spouses:

Thomas Edwards and Helen Mountford

1901 RG13; Piece: 5199; Folio: 24; Page: 19
as you say has Thomas Edwards 42 yrs with wife Helen with children, one of whom is Samuel M and the other is called Mountford.

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 09 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I am aware that I am telling you nothing more than you already know - just trying to work my way through this  ;)
At the moment I can't see Thomas and Helen in 1891  ???

The other couple are Thomas and Elizabeth and are here
1901 RG13; Piece: 5200; Folio: 94; Page: 9
Thomas is 44 years.

1891 RG12; Piece: 4596; Folio 100; Page 3
Thomas is transcribed as 37 yrs but is 34 yrs on census.
Elizabeth is transcribed as 53 yrs but census image is 33 yrs

They also have a son Samuel b 1883  (the other couple's son Samuel was born 1888) so they do seem to be linked.
Elizabeth is shown as born Norbury on one of the censuses and 1881 has an Elizabeth Lewis - there is a marriage in Clun district 1882 which fits for Thomas Edwards and Elizabeth Lewis.

If you can't find anything more conclusive, perhaps the marriage certificates for these would show re father's name.

Have you looked at 1911 census?

heywood

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 09 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes sorry I managed to find this late last night and forgot to post here ;)

I am not sure whether it is him, but I will see about ordering the marriage certificate, I have found Helen in the 1891 census though, as Ellen Mountford with her 2 children Jane and Samuel, living with her father Thomas (that makes over 30 Thomas' on my tree!!!!)

RG12/piece 4595 folio 57 page 19

I am now looking at Jane Edwards as she is not on the census with her father in 1901. I have tried to find the boys, Samuel Mountford and Thomas Mountford, but as yet have had no luck.

I will let you know any updates and the result of the marriage certificate.

Many thanks, Sam

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 09 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Funnily enough I saw Ellen Mountford in 1881  living just a couple of miles from where I live - fairly sure it's her but the age is out a it.

When you say you are looking for the boys Samuel M and Thomas M - is that in later censuses? They are with their parents in 1901.

If your theory is right- would it be Thomas who is married to Elizabeth who is perhaps Samuel?

heywood

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Funnily enough I saw Ellen Mountford in 1881  living just a couple of miles from where I live - fairly sure it's her but the age is out a it.

When you say you are looking for the boys Samuel M and Thomas M - is that in later censuses? They are with their parents in 1901.

If your theory is right- would it be Thomas who is married to Elizabeth who is perhaps Samuel?

heywood

I have Thomas born 1859 marrying Helen Mountford, I have their son Samuel Mountford Edwards in Nantwich, Crewe on the 1911 census (a lot of the children from Gravels Bank/Hope are sent away to work, my grandfather was sent to Tenby), he then marries there in 1915 to either Mary G Davison or Elizabeth A Dyas. I have Thomas Mountford Edwards (I think) in WWI in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry, but I could not find him on the 1911 census.
I can't find Jane on the census yet, but have her marrying at age 29 a Percy R Taylor in 1914.

I have Samuel (Thomas) marrying Elizabeth Richards in 1891 aged 34 and having 4 children, Thomas, George, Frederick and Mabel, I also have Frederick in WWI in Horse Transport, he states that his father is called Thomas, living in around 1914 at Paddock House, Minsterley, this ties up with the 1911 census for Thomas, Elizabeth, Frederick and Mabel. I then have Mabel marrying a William Lewis and having 2 children Ethel and Clifford, all still living in the same area.

Not bad for a few days work!!!! lol

Sam

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 14:39 GMT (UK) »

heywood

Sorry, forgot about this bit, I saw her also in Yorkshire, I think that it must be her, as I do not think that Chirbury is a densely populated area to have 2 Ellen Mountfords born at around the same time, but I am going to check the bmd for her birth.

Sam  :)

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I have an Ellen Mountford born JFM 1958 in Montgomery, which is about 6 miles from Hyssington.

Sam