Author Topic: The Angel Hotel, Abergavenny?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline sophiewilliams

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Angel Hotel, Abergavenny?
« on: Sunday 11 May 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have found some of my ancestors residing at 29 Castle Street, Abergavenny and the head of the house was an "ostler".  The only hotel I can find is The Angel in that area nowadays.  Would this have been the hotel on the census?

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Angel Hotel, Abergavenny?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 May 14 21:19 BST (UK) »
could you post names and d.o.b. of persons who are at Castle St and state which census

The Angel Hotel is on Cross St

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sophiewilliams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 May 14 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Suz

Not The Angel then :-(   Their names are Thomas and Mary Eleanor Goode with their children (x9) on 1911 census.  Thomas is my GT GT uncle and was born in 1873 in Foy, Hfds and Mary was born in 1871 in Abergavenny. 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 May 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
He may not have lived or worked exclusively at the Inn/Hotel. He may simply have been a stableman, though he would have worked close to home.

Many Inns are likely to have closed between 1911 and now.

I would check his address and occupation in other censuses in case it gives more clues.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 May 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
As Ruskie posted he may not have lived at a hotel

it just looks an ordinary address with Dad,Mum and the children
Dad (head of household)'s occupation is ostler - he was employed by a hotel- at that time ostler was more likely to mean groom/stableman who looked after the visitor's horses among other duties.
1901 they lived at 19 Lower Castle St and father was a "Coachman Groom Hotel" meaning he worked at a hotel.

there is the possibility he may have worked at the Angel - but no proof

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sophiewilliams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 May 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruskie, I see what you are saying about inns closing but his occupation is "ostler" which I believe is an innkeeper.  On 1901 census they are living on lower castle street and he is a "coachman - hotel", presumably the aforementioned hotel .

Offline sophiewilliams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 May 14 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz, my post crossed with yours and both yours and Ruskie's comments now make perfect sense, I have learnt something.

Many thanks  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 May 14 00:14 BST (UK) »
Glad it is clearer Sophie.

What I was trying to say is that if you are hoping to work out which Inn Thomas worked at in 1911, and think it may be the Angel because it is the only one in the area today, there may have been many others in 1911 that no longer exist.  ;)

As Suz says, it will be virtually impossible to find out where he worked, but it more than likely would have been near his home.

Have you tried looking at some old maps of the area? Some are quite detailed and can give names of pubs and other landmarks. http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 May 14 00:44 BST (UK) »
On the link to old maps I provided there is a very nice detailed 1881 town map. I know it is a little early for your family, but it might be worth having a look around anyway.

Looking at the maps I see that The Angel was very close to where your family were living, so quite possible that Thomas worked there.