Author Topic: McConaghy Family in Articlave  (Read 11318 times)

Offline redhot79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McConaghy Family in Articlave
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 March 14 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Dianne- thanks for the reply.  You are the connection that I have been looking for several years.  I am the great grandson of John and Nancy. I live in the USA. Margaret Jane McConaghy was my father's aunt. She is buried in Davenport, Ia about 10 miles from me. The David's and Ben were from Moline, Ill area. Ben called me from California just before he died.  I had a great and long conversation with him. His daughter called me several years after his death. I believe that her name is Donna D. I have lost her last name and contact information. She lives in the Los Angeles area and I believe that she owned a machinery moving company.

I do not have photos of John & Nancy McConaghy. I would really appreciate that opportunity to have copies and any other information that you would have! I'd also like photos and any information that you might have for Leander & Margaret (McConaghy) David. 

Ben was a great guy, very interesting. I'd like to be able to meet his family.

Thanks for the help,

Dan

Offline MyFamilyTreeSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 March 14 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Well, this is exciting!  Donna was one of my aunts - the 3rd child of my Grandpa Ben and Grandma Dee - she passed away in 2005, just within a short time of my Grandpa.  Marilyn, their first born was the owner of the machinery company.  She has since retired. 

I have some info posted on  Find a Grave website.  I've started virtual cemeteries there and I have a lot of info on my Facebook pages too.  I guess we should take some of this conversation offline - since many of the people you are looking to connect the dots are still alive and I don't feel quite right about posting their info without their permission on a public page. 

Have you stumbled onto this link yet?  This is Margaret on her Wedding Day.  I LOVE this picture.  http://www.umvphotoarchive.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/scdpl/id/1388/rec/1

I have a few more family pix, some are packed as I just moved again (military), but I know about where they are.  My father has a large book made by my Aunt Marilyn (his sister) with a lot of pix and stories as well that I'd like to get my hands on to scan.

I have not joined Ancestry.com yet, been thinking about it.  Have you joined yet?  If so, is it worth it? 

I'm also thinking about springing for my brothers DNA swab test to see how far back we can trace our roots.

Can't wait to share more info, but I need to figure out on this site to provide private email to each other without sharing it with the world.

Anyway  - I'm looking forward to learning more! 

Thanks!
Dianna

Offline redhot79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 April 14 01:00 BST (UK) »
Dianna- still looking to connect. I am on Ancestry.com and would share whatever I have. The tree that I have is very extensive and includes some of the David info. I also have some photos that you may have an interest in seeing as well.

Dan

Offline annecampbellmurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 April 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
hi dan and dianne, please forgive my late reply but i find this very difficult, i'm just learning, so my attempts in the past didnt work. i am so thrilled with the information you gave me dan about john, robert and margaret jane, i have since found photos of maggie jane and robert and their families, my husband is going to help me to forward these to you with a photocopy of the original marriage cert for john and nancy, lets hope it works. the only thing i can add to it at the moment is that their brother james emmigrated to rhodesia (now zimbabwe) he married edith and had two children who both contracted polio when they were very young, the little boy died and yvonne recovered and became a great friend of my mothers and visited us in ireland on many occasions, she passed away in zimbabwe about 5 years ago, we have cousins in coleraine who i think would be daughters and sons of lizzie mc conaghy, age 3 in 1911 census, i will try to make touch with them again. i would expect john and nancy are buried in the prosbyterian churchyard in dunboe as that is where they married and baptised their children, the address is : 1st dunboe presbyterian church, st paul's road, articlave, londonderry, BT51 4UN, northern ireland. i hope this is helpful and that i can send the photos, i will try to send privately, please bear with me,technology has moved alot faster than me, oh, its likely the mc conaghies originate in scotland and came to ireland aroun 1610 or there abouts but i have a long way to go before finding that, john would have died after 1921 as his name is on my grandfathers marriage cert, otherwise it would have said deceased or left blank, hopefully talk to you soon, anne

Offline redhot79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 April 14 02:26 BST (UK) »
Anne- thanks for the note. I totally understand about the difficulty of navigation some of these sites. You are welcome to any information that I have. I've done a little research as to how you, Dianne and myself could post a private message (PM) on this site. See the info posted below in this note that I found on this site. You and Dianne may have to make a few more post to make the 3 postminimum. One we are all using the PM feature we could exchange email address or home addresses if that is easier for you. I'm ready. This very exciting and I don't want to lose track of you now that we have made this connection. Please le me know what you think about the PM, email addresses or home address as an option.

Dan

Personal Messages (PM)
RootsChat is all about community and communication for your family history research. And there are plenty of ways to communicate: Posting on the boards, Personal Messages (PM), E-mail, ICQ, AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM).

While e-mail is a good way to correspond privately with members, it has several drawbacks: You must open your e-mail application to write and send the message; the recipient must open his/her e-mail application; check his/her mail and your message will mixed in with all the other mail and it can take sometimes several minutes to an hour for mail to reach the recipient.

As an alternative to e-mail, RootsChat offers a faster, more private method. The Personal Messages system provides instantaneous delivery to the recipient's RootsChat Inbox. The mail is sent and received entirely through RootsChat, so neither you nor the recipient have to open another program or leave RootsChat. Private Messages also gives both the sender and recipient greater privacy: No one's e-mail address is revealed. Personal Messages show only the username and name of both parties.

If a recipient isn't online, Personal Messages wait in the member's RootsChat inbox until the next time they log in and then reads and/or deletes them. RootsChat Private Messages are a self-contained, highly private e-mail system.

In general, there is no limit to the number of PMs you may send or receive,
(although we do hope you will empty your Inbox and Outbox ('Sent Items') regularly).

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

Please note: If you are sending PMs to new members who have less than three posts you will receive an error message, that your limit, or allowed number has been reached. (note that it says your limit, although it actually refers to the recipient.)

Attachments are not allowed on PMs

As the name says, Personal Messages are personal and private - do not publish PMs on the public boards !

Offline MyFamilyTreeSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Sorry for not getting back on this page for a few weeks.  Super busy around here!   

I too am very excited about connecting with you both, and think PM is probably the best way to better connect.  I'm looking so forward to connecting the dots and learning more about my family, past and present!

Thanks and have a great day today!
Dianna

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 09:09 BST (UK) »
Well done the three of you in 'finding' each other here!. It is ideal that you will be able to use the PM system to avoid revealing details of living persons. Remember, if any of you get 'stuck' and need further research help though, just post again on the forum boards. Enjoy your new found adventures in genealogy (and yes, it will become addictive).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Dalzell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 02:30 GMT (UK) »
For those of you tracing this family I wanted to add some information regarding Robert McConaghy born 1878.  He immigrated to Iowa in 1904 and in 1905 he and my great-aunt Annie Hopkins McClelland, born in 1885 in Bratwell, Londonderry married.  Two of their daughters survived to go on and have families.  I have no information regarding Robert's parents but am happy to share the information I do have on his family.

Lorna

Offline G McConaghy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 June 19 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I'm new here so sorry if I overstep protocols.

I am currently looking into my husbands lineage. We have traced his grandfather, Joseph McConaghy (McConachie) back to his birth in Shotts West, Scotland in 1905. Both of his parents were from Northern Ireland; John McConaghy (McConachie) 1877 Articlave, and Minnie Ross 1878 (Castlerock?)
However I am having a hard time tracking down birth records, church records, or anything showing which John McConaghy (McConachie) or Minnie Ross these might be.

John and Minnie migrated to the USA on the ship Columbia in 1906 and resided in Pennsylvania, PA, USA. Joseph married Anna Harriet Tucker. One of their children, Richard McConaghy is my husbands father.

If anyone has any information concerning John or Minnie it would be greatly appreciated.  :)