Author Topic: Crawford/Lindsay family  (Read 21957 times)

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Crawford/Lindsay family
« on: Sunday 29 May 05 09:48 BST (UK) »
I am searching the family of William Crawford and Rachael Lindsay who married c1880 in County Derry. They had a daughter Margaret Lindsay Crawford born 1886 and birth registered at Bellerena, Limavady. William was a farmer and his address was Lisnagrib, Aghanloo. I do not know anything else about William and Rachael, but they were possibly/probably Presbyterian as Margaret married Abraham Wharton in a Presbyterian Church in Coleraine in 1916.
I would be grateful if anyone can throw any light on the Crawford/Lindsay families. I realise that they are very popular names but I live in hope!
Best wishes to all you family researchers
Sandra
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RPS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford/Lindsay family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 05 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I was searching for Lisnagrib the place where I used to spend my summer holidays in the 1950's.

There was avery old lady who lived there and her house is still occupied by an aunt of mine.

Her name was Marha Crawford but she had never been married. She was in her 80's or 90's in the 1950's so would have been born in about 1860 -1870.

Her house can be found on the B201 out of Limavady on the way to Coleraine wher the "Bishops Road" from Downhill meets what is now known as "Windyhill Road". check it on Multimap.com at 1:50000 scale.

Some people in the area will still remember her, when she died (about 1959) and where she is buried.

I hope this is of interest

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 05 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear RPS
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me about Martha. I will do some searches and try and find something out about her. To tell you the truth I have not got very far with my searches on the Crawfords. My mother--in-law's grandfather was William Crawford born somewhere in County Derry around 1840. There were a lot of William Crawfords and I just cannot find his birth.I was convinced that he was born in the Drumachose parish as he farmed in Lisnagrib. This comes under the parish of Aghanloo but there was no Presbyterian church there. I got the Derry family history to search for me and they did an excellent job but came up with nothing conclusive. I have asked 2 organisations to see if there were any other children of William who married Rachel Lindsay in 1883 but none can be found, apart from Margaret born 1886 who was my mother-in-laws mother. If you have any suggestions I would be very grateful
All the best
Many thanks again
Scarbro

Offline RPS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 06 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I feel you may have been looking in the wrong church records.

I wonder if the deeds of the present farms would show previous owners?

Martha Crawford, although she was generally housebound in the fifties ,would have "gan to meetin" as I remember her say of one of her neighbours. Translated that meant she would have gone to Derrymore Presbyterian Church and had little or nothing to do with Drumachose or Aghanloo which if I remember right were Church of Ireland (Anglican) and 'not properly reformed'.

Lisnagrib would have consisted of four only farms and Crawfords would have been the smallest at only 6-8 acres - its a small world in Lisnagrib - and the current older generation  who farm there would probably know who farmed each property in 1900 and maybe even before that.

Offline RPS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 06 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Derrymore could be a pot of gold for you. Lindsays emigrated from there to Philadelphia in 1834

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 06 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Dear RPS
Reading this at 6am before I go to work so just to say thank you so much for your brilliant suggestions. No doubt will be in touch later with a lot of questions- that is if you don't mind
Yours in appreciation
Scarbro

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 January 06 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear RPS
Have written to several people following your suggestions including the minister who has the Derramore records in his presbytery. All I can do is hope!
I looked back through the search that the County Derry Genealogy Centre did for me and nothing came up at Derramore for William Crawford but I had not requested a search for the Lindsays. So that is another avenue I could follow. I see what you mean about the Lindsays leaving for Philadelphia in the 1830s. That will be worth pursuing.
Just to let you know I have appreciated what you told me and I haven't been idle!!!!!!
All the best
Sandra

Offline wjr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 July 06 23:47 BST (UK) »
Dear RPS,
I have just come across your post of December 05 regarding Lisnagrib and Martha Crawford. We may have played together. I was born just down below Martha's - at the Douglases. My relatives also lived up the Bishop's Road at Lisnagrib and at Drumalief - all Douglases.

Offline husulo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I am Husulo,a resident of Southern California
My Grandmother Sarah Crawford was a sister of Martha Crawford who was deceased in June of 1957.Martha and Sarah were daughters of Catherine Crawford who was deceased on 29th December 1918.
    When Martha died,the only listed relatives of hers were,my Mother Mae Estep,sister Catherine Baum,brothers Thomas and William McDowell.
 During WW II my Mother Mae Estep had supported her Aunt Martha.
    I have been to Northern Ireland twice in the last five years,and could retrieve very little information,except from an elderly gentleman,who was a neighbor.

Milt