Author Topic: Isabel Pugh born 1772 Skreen Farm Llandeilor Graban  (Read 11475 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Isabel Pugh born 1772 Skreen Farm Llandeilor Graban
« on: Friday 24 August 12 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I'm looking for information on the marriage of Isabella Pugh born about 1772, a daughter of David Pugh, Skreen Farm, Landeilor Graban, Radnorshire.

She was married to William Williams when they had a son John Williams at Trericket, Crickardarn in 1804. The whole family emigrated to America in 1825. William Williams became a non-conformist Deacon in Granville Town, Licking County, Ohio and was commonly known as "Deacon Williams"

I think William Williams father was a John Williams, and that William was his only son.

Hope someone can help!

:) :) :) Llanfi
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isabel Pugh born 1772 Skreen Farm Llandeilor Graban
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
David Pugh of Skreen died in 1811 and his will is on the NLW site

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

The will looks to be 9 pages but there are duplicates. The will names his wife Mary, daughter Anne, the wife of John Shelvock, son John who has a son David under 21 at the time the will was written - 19/2/1811, son William. Also mentions six children now residing in this kingdom without naming them, but this could suggest that there were other children who had emigrated by this time.

David was a tenant farmer at Skreen, so didn't own the land, it belonged to a Williams family, the deeds are mentioned here
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/RAD/LlandeiloGraban/index.html

The parish registers of Llandeilo Graban for before 1812 have been lost, apparently. Surviving Bishops Transcripts are at the NLW, but there's nothing online as far as I can see.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 September 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Osprey!

Many thanks for your help!
I already had a copy of David Pugh's 1811 will, and have done some research into the Pugh family at Skreen.
Isabella was the daughter of David Pugh and Mary Williams, living in Skreen Farm Radnorshire. Skreen Farm was part of "The Skreen" which consisted of the Manor House where the Williams family lived, and the farm where the Pugh Family lived. David Pugh was a tenant farmer leasing land from the Williams family. He had a lot of livestock and was worth about 200 pounds sterling when he died, quite a lot for those days. Skreen is situated in the village of Llandeilo Graban, Radnorshire, on the River Wye.
It is close to Erwood, which is the next village, about a mile away, and on the border of Radnorshire and Brecknockshire.
There are several records of David Pughs children being Christened at Tredustan United (non-conformist chapel) near Talgarth Breconshire, about ten miles from The Skreen. (see "FreeReg")

David Pugh and Mary Williams were married in 1765 at Llandefalle,
Breconshire, not far from "The Skreen".  Mary was the daughter of John Williams of Gelly-Hir Llandevalley, who died in 1779. It is not clear that she had any particular
family relationship with the prosperous Williams family at Skreen.  However, I do know that John
Williams of The Skreen acquired an extensive property known as Velinnewydd
in 1754, when his brother Jenkin Williams died. Llandefalle is situated
inside the Velinnewydd estate.

John Williams of Gelly-Hir in the Parish of Llandevalley in the County of Brecon died in 1799 leaving cash of 294 pounds and an estate of house and land. About 150 pounds was bequeathed in sums of 30 pounds each to his son John Williams, living in the Parish of Gwenthaur (called Gwenddwr nowadays), his daughter Mary (married to David Pugh) , his son-in-law Rees Price, (married to his daughter Ann),  his daughter Margarett (wife of Thomas Jones) and in trust to his deceased daughter Hannah's grand-children William, John, Samuel, David, Benjamine, and Hannah until they came of age.

David Pugh, Skreen Farm, died in 1811 and left bequests of small annual
payments to his "six children now residing in this Kingdom" and the rest to
his wife Mary. His wife Mary, sons William, John (and John's son David), and
daughter Anne are specified by name in the will. The Talgarth records show three of the other children were Isabella, Esther, and David (the eldest).  The will does not mention his son David Pugh who had emigrated to America, and probably leading to the insertion of the phrase "now residing in this kingdom".   I found an LDS record of a daughter Mary daughter of David Pugh christened at Talgarth in 1781. So that makes seven children in all, and only David seems to have been abroad.
This David Pugh became an important pioneer in Ohio. His sister Isabella Pugh and husband Williams Williams emigrated in 1820 to Ohio with their five children. The Talgarth records show that William and Isabella resided at Tre-Ricket when they had their son John baptised in . Isabella's sister Esther joined them after their mother died.

There is a US record of David Pugh as follows:

"DAVID PUGH,

father of judge John M. Pugh,  of Columbus,  and other well known
residents,  was born in Radnorshire,  South Wales,  February 8,  1769.
He emigrated to this country in the spring of 1801,  landing in
Baltimore on the fourth of May of that year.  Here he engaged himself
profitably,  until the spring of 1802,  when he came to Ohio,  then,
almost without exception,  a wilderness, and made a settlement in what
is now Radnor Township,  Delaware County,  so called by him in memory of
his ancestral home in Wales.  He remained there until 1815,  when he
removed to Truro Township,  Franklin County,  where he died,  on the
twenty-fourth of October,  1857,  at the good old age of eighty-eight
years,  eight months and fifteen days.  His wife,  Mrs. Jane Pugh,
preceeded him but a few months to the grave,  dying on the eighth of
March,  next previous.  They left children as follows:  Judge John M.
Pugh, of Columbus;  David Pugh,  Andrew Pugh,  Mrs. May Shield,  and
Mrs. Jane Hutson."

(Note that another record of the above David Pugh, stating that he was
born at Skreen Farm Radnorshire).

I would like to know more about the William Williams who married Isabella Pugh. He was known as Deacon Williams in Granville Ohio, and claimed a Coat of Arms with the Williams "Lion Rampant"and a crest with a single Moor-cock. The COA has the phrase "Cognosci Occasionem" and the Motto is "Y FYNO DWY Y FFYDD"

Many thanks to all of you in this search for William Williams ancestors.

llanfi  :) :) :)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 November 12 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Noted the reference to Ann PUGH with interest. If anyone is interested in her marriage to John SHILVOCK (12 Sep 1801 at Llanfihangel) I have the descendant family as part of my worldwide SHELVOCK/SHILVOCK One-Name Study. Family lived in Broadway, WOR and Ann died in Dec 1867. John was of the Halesowen SHILVOCK family and died in Broadway in 1831.
I can be contacted via the One-Name Study page on Facebook or http://creativegraces.net.
M.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 12 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello masgrace,
Thanks for the information regarding John Shelvock and Anne Pugh. Please let me know more about their marriage. There are several Llanfihangels in Brecknockshire and Radnorshire, and maybe the location would have been Llandeilo'r Graban which is where Skreen Farm is located. I subsequently found that Anne's sister Esther was married to David Williams at Llandefalle, and that David Pugh was probably a tenant of two other farms ( Caebodran Landefalle, and before the family sett

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 12 19:05 GMT (UK) »

:) :) :)Hello masgrace.
I hit the "send" key by mistake!
to finish...

and before the family settled in Skreen Farm they were probably tenants of Lewis Williams, a wealthy Non-Conformist Family in Talachddu. The Pugh family baptised all of their children at Tredustan Independent Chapel near Talgarth. Esther Pugh (Anne's eldest sister) and David Williams were married by Banns at the Llandevalley Parish Church according to the Bishop's Transcript which reads:
"David Williams of Talachddu and Esther Pugh of this Parish married by Banns" dated 17th November 1790.

This was 10 years before Anne and John Shelvock were married.

Best regards,

Llanfi :) :) :) :)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 December 12 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Don't have original marriage record, but it is transcribed as "Llanfihangel, Rhydithon, Radnorshire"

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 December 12 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi msgrace,

I found Llanfihangel Rhydithon, Radnor, and it it quite a way north from Llandeilo'r Graban where Anne Pugh probably lived at the time of her marriage to John Shelvock. There was a cloth factory at Llanfihangel, according to Old Maps UK, and that might have been the connection to the Midlands where the Shelvock family seems to have been. Do you have any explanation as to the place of marriage according to your records. I don't at present on the Pugh side. I tried to look at creativegraces.net but it directed me elsewhere. I am not a Facebook "friend" so that may be the problem

Thanks for the information, every little bit helps. If I find the Pughs were resident there in 1801 that would certainly be a breakthrough. Perhaps the original Parish record would show this as they often put the Parishes in them for marriages...

Cheers,
Llanfi :) :) :)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 December 12 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello msgrace
I found that John Shilvock and Anne baptised a son John on 24 June 1804 in New Radnor. New Radnor seems to have been a very common place for the Pugh family baptisms. So maybe David Pugh of Skreen Farm had relatives in that area...

Cheers,
Llanfi  :) :) :)