Author Topic: Searching for info on Murtagh Kennedy and Rachel Kennedy nee McLean  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Bsidec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for info on Murtagh Kennedy and Rachel Kennedy nee McLean
« on: Thursday 20 March 14 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for any info that anyone may have about my gg grandparents listed above who came to NZ at some stage of their lives.
Murtagh was born around 1841 and Rachel in 1840. They were married in Ireland before they arrived in NZ and when they arrived in NZ Murtagh was 22 years old. He was from County Antrim, apparently they had 3 children but I only know about two.
One child was Henry Kennedy who died in NZ in 1901 when he was only 28 years old.
One child was John Kennedy, no middle name that I am aware of, who was born in 1861 give or take, and died in NZ  aged 80 years old on 12 Nov 1941. He married Johanna Josephine Tobin who passed away in NZ aged 54 years in 1921.

I do not know whereabouts in Ireland  Murtagh and Rachel got married and the only other info I have is that his parents are  Murtagh Kennedy and Margaret Kennedy, with again no middle names. This makes it much harder to do anything with. Thanks in advance.
 I know the name Murtagh is sometimes spelt in different ways.. ie Murteigh and maybe sometimes as Mortimer?

PS I am in NZ.
Kennedys in NZ

Offline Bsidec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for info on Murtagh Kennedy and Rachel Kennedy nee McLean
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 14 23:35 GMT (UK) »
John and Johanna Kennedy got married in 1899. The Kennnedy's have a Road named after them in Springbank, North Canterbury, South Island, NZ which is called Kennedy Hill Road and they or his parents lived in a property called 'Hills Head' in the Springbank or North Moeraki Downs area as it was called then.
My first info was not quite correct as Murtagh Kennedy was only 76 years of age at death in 1917. And Rachel was 74 years of age when she passed away in 1914.
Kennedys in NZ

Offline Colin Kennedy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for info on Murtagh Kennedy and Rachel Kennedy nee McLean
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 August 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
Your third child is Margaret born 1866 Rangiora, Murtagh's death was registered under his first name of Mortimer as you have noted in 1917, Hope this is of a little help