Author Topic: Bedminster Cemeteries  (Read 14039 times)

Offline judiboo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bedminster Cemeteries
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 12 00:52 BST (UK) »
Most of my paternal line ancestors were from the Bedminster/Redcliffe Hill area and I myself have not been able to trace one single grave primarily because some of the older churches have been demolished, including St Johns mentioned above. Most frustrating.
Judy

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 April 12 06:54 BST (UK) »
Most churchyards in Bristol were closed by the 1848 Act, or at least had restrictions placed on them.
So many Bristolians (and Bedminster!) were buried in places such as Arno's Vale.

And, don't forget that Bedminster used to be a part of Somerset, rather than being part of Bristol!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 April 12 09:10 BST (UK) »
Nothing like a challenge!  Bedminster now part of Bristol did not used to be..  Now situated in Somerset when it used to Gloucestershire..

It is an interesting lesson on geography for me.  Elizabeth Webb is detailed through the census records Ancestry extractions as having been born at Broughton Rolf, Somerset England in the 1851 records, Brampton Ralf, Somerset in the 1861 record, and in the 1871 hand written page it appears to be Brompton Ralph Devon, extracted as Broughton Ralph Devon England on Ancestry.  There are times I wonder whether I am tracking the same woman.

On The Geneologist site Brice Webb is extracted as Alice Webb although Brice is written as plain as the nose on your face...

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 April 12 09:15 BST (UK) »
The River Avon used to be the border!

Bedminster was on the south bank, so was in Somerset - indeed Somerset County Cricket Club used to play some home matches in Brislington!
Redcliff Hill is north of the river, so in Bristol, Gloucestershire!

I used to live in Bedminster, and my daughters went to St Mary Redcliff Infant School!

Just to confuse matters even further, Bristol was a City & County for over 600 years ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Plevna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 August 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi JuneNZ
I live in Bedminster, and St Johns had another graveyard as well as the churchyard. Sadly though for you it's all grassed over, but you might be interested to know that it's recently been planted with lots of fruit trees! I walk through there every day. I could take a photo if you like?

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 August 12 07:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very kind offer. I wonder what they did with the headstones on this cemetery. Sad to think that they may also be underground. A nice outcome for a cemetery to be a pleasant orchard.  Regards, June

Offline Plevna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi June. I got you a couple of photos. As I suspected I think they might've laid the gravestones down and grassed over them as you can see from the first photo. I can only find one like that tho.  There's only one monument left and that's been stuck in the corner . No idea why that particular one was saved, maybe it was the message at the bottom and the sad tale of the two young people lost at sea.

Offline Plevna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 18:03 BST (UK) »
and this is how the graveyard looks now

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the photos, it looks like a peaceful place. Could you advise me the name of the street that the park is on. Perhaps the Church (denomination Anglican?) that owned the St Johns church may have historical photos or the Bristol Archives.  Regards, June